Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Does This Really Work? Tire Balancing Beads
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I notice passenger cars and light trucks are (mostly) omitted from the recommended vehicles. They say:
Quote:
If you have low-profile tires, that being any tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below, you may have balancing issues that precludes using Dyna Beads as the sole balancing method.
Our official policy is that we do not advise using Dyna Beads in any car, truck or SUV tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below unless used in conjunction with weights.
The reason for this is that this type of tire has a higher incidence of lateral imbalance, which is basically that one side of the tire is heavier than the other side, creating a ?wobbling? effect, or ?shaking? of the steering wheel. This type of imbalance can only be corrected by careful placement of traditional weights on the wheel rim.
That being said, the physics principle is still the same, and the addition of a Maintenance amount will usually* smooth out the ride and reduce, if not eliminate, any future rebalancing issues.
An easy test would be to take a wheel/tire down to the tire shop, remove the wheel weights, check the balance.

Break one bead of the wheel/tire, throw in the recommended amount of beads, recheck the balance.

Unless the wheel HAS to be bounced to distribute the beads, this should show a balanced tire; the tire machine comes up to speed gradually (relatively speaking) and that should be enough, I'd think. But they do say the tires have to be independently sprung, so maybe the tire machine test wouldn't be valid?

EDIT- While I had the window open to write a post, I got sidetracked and now see now that 38Mike had suggested the tire balancer test already.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.