Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Does This Really Work? Tire Balancing Beads
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Last spring the new set of tires I have on the dually had about 15k on them so since I had free tire balance and rotation I took the truck in for the service. There was no issue at all with the tires. I just had time and thought it would be a good thing to do. haha read on

I got it back and it had a severe high frequency vibration that would leave your hand numb after an hour on the road.

Short story.... After the 6th return for complete removal, sanding and cleaning of the rims and rotors, lubing the lugs ( they are like heavy truck lugs) I still have the vibration. Even pulling the 12k GN.

I had a 2500 pound block of concrete inthe bed over the winter and even then after driving for an hour the vibration is still there.

It's even worse now.

It's a lot of work doing 6 truck tires. I spent the better part of 6 mornings at the tire store so that's enough.

So the first thing is that I will never buy that brand again. Second I'm going back to no rotation no balancing after the initial set up like I've done in the past. My tires have always worn nice and even with the rear wearing the center a little more as I don't tow all the time. It doesn't really matter however if the tires last 60k the cost per mile is so low that it is no really significant.

As for the beads and the plates....too much $$$ for me and not a sure fire fix. There are too many who have noted no difference. Some say they are ok, but I'm not going to test.