Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Does This Really Work? Tire Balancing Beads
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4
For all the hundreds of people who talk about wear from the inside out of the tire from beads I have yet to see a single picture of any tire being worn out. When you consider the weight, size and the beads being spherical I just cant see how they could possibly wear a tire out. Also many manufactures recommend them for the use INSIDE of motorcycle tubes.

I don't think lead would be such a good idea its already banned in some states for the use of wheel weights. I also wouldn't want to be around when the tire was dismounted or aired down. I would think there would be a considerable amount of lead in the air.
Ahh. An enviro-nut! JK. But heck- don't breath in the air as it's let out of the freaking tire! If you were really worried, wrap a wet rag around the valve stem and unscrew the schrader valve just enough to let the air out slowly. Dispose of the rag after wiping out the tire and rim at the recycler/hazardous waste disposal site.

I wouldn't breath in ANY air coming out of a tire (could be a flammable gas, nitrogen, laced w/liquid sealant, rust, paint, dirt, etc.), let alone if it had ceramic balls in it- like tiny shards of silica, same thing that can give you lung disease- if you breathed it for enough years (decades?), that is.

I wouldn't be the least bit worried about the tire wearing through- the beads are only in motion for a couple seconds before centrifugal force pins them to the tire where they remain until the vehicle stops.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-04-2011 at 04:41 PM.