Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Does This Really Work? Tire Balancing Beads
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm surprised with your results at 137mph and a big ***slick. I assume you are drag racing? The Dyna Beads instructions highly recommends they not be used in racing situations especially drag racing.
I'm sure dyna bead has to claim that for liability purposes.

I didn't use dyna beads. I used 4.5oz of airsoft pellets in each tire.

Without some sort of bead lock it's very typical for a tire to slip on the rim when drag racing. So the typical spin balance doesn't work well for us. Myself and and many others at our track use the airsoft pellets and they work great.

Honestly I've "spin balanced" a few slicks/drag radials and they didn't perform that badly. A little wobble on the big end of the track is normal. As I had said back in my original post on this thread I think one of the slicks were just beyond what a standard balance could compensate for. I was very suprised the beads not only "fixed" the issue, but the car acted better than ever before at speed. My next step was just to junk both slicks so a $4 airsoft pellet experiment was worth it IMO.