Hot Rod Forum banner

Does this sound like a scam?.............I think it is.

748 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Henry Highrise 
#1 ·
I got this email about my ad in the HR.com classifieds. Read from the bottom up, as I copied/pasted from the email I sent back. He won't even tell where he is from, and refers to a client....over a set of old wheels.

What do you think? My rely is......

Sorry, but this sounds too much like a scam..................I won't deal with a third party ofver a set of $100 wheels.

Ryan Charles <cable4making@doramail.com> wrote:
Hello,
my client will bear the full expenses of the shipping as you don't have to worry about the shipment of the unit.

----- Original Message -----
To: cable4making@doramail.com
Subject: Re: A message about your ad on
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:14:34 -0800 (PST)

Depends on where you want them shipped to........................Shipping them will probably cost many times the price that I want for them. I doubt if it would be worth your while.

What do you want to put them on?

Harry

cable4making@doramail.com wrote:
4 15x8 Chevy pickup steel ralley wheels.

Hello Seller,
Good day to you over there.i just want to know if this unit it still available for sale and will like to inquire about it present condition and will you accept a money order as a mode of payment and for it's shipment fee to it's final destination?What's the final asking price for this unit?i will want you to scan send me more pix of the unit.get back to me via my email address{cable4making@doramail.com}
Thanking You In Advance

http://www.hotrodders.com/ads/showproduct.php?product=80

See less See more
#2 ·
Red flags:

1. Over-polite tone: "Good day to you over there", and "Thanking You In Advance".

Some people are naturally polite, but most are not that polite :). Recall the standard Nigerian scam-like text: "Kind greetings and salutations of the day to you, my friend". Peace and love be with you and your family...while I scam you.

2. Generic text. He refers to your wheels as "the unit". He could've set up an automatic program to reply to every single ad like this. Keep in mind that the text: "4 15x8 Chevy pickup steel ralley wheels." gets automatically inserted in his email, as it is the title of your ad. He didn't write that in by hand. Scammers make money by sending out millions of emails. Even if only "one-in-a-million" people gets scammed, then they make plenty of money.

3. Google his email address. Nothing is returned. It may very well be that he is very careful with his email address, and doesn't post it publicly. More than likely, it's a throwaway address he picked up recently. Doramail.com is a free email address site.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and this could be a legitimate sale in the making. You can always just wait patiently for the money order to clear before shipping "the unit", in which case you can't lose.

#3 ·
He even speaks [types ] like a nigieran,, sounds like a scam , but have some fun with him,, take his phoney cashiers check and not ship the wheels, then he will be waiting for the extra money from you that never shows up,, you might even be able to sell the cashers check on E/Bay,, seems that some e/bayers will buy anything,,, :evil: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.