Does upholstery always have to wraparound ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 10:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Does upholstery always have to wraparound ?

This may be one of those questions I already know the answer to.

I'm working on a '67 Mustang street rod/track car, and re-doing the interior/dashboard in stock style but with higher quality materials.

The primary portion of the dash is a flat dashboard plate with a 90 degree bezel all around the edge that I'm recreating out of polished aluminum. The bezel is really visually important especially in my all black interior to set off the outline of the dashboard.

I'd love to have this dash plate covered in leather, but because of hte bezel I would not be able to wrap it around the edges. I would simply cut out a piece of leather and "flat" glue it to the dashboard plate.

In my mind the edges of this leather will be lifting up and curling back and probably sooner rather than later.
Is it possible to put down leather in this manner ?

(I"ve thought of other alternatives like making a border trim piece to hold it down - lots of extra work but a possibility !)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

wrap around

The problem with gluing it flat, as you pondered,will lead eventually to the edges curling up. What you could do if you are wanting to go that route, would be to make a retainer ring that will fit the face of your bezel, and will attatch to the bezel on the back side. This retainer would cover the edges of your leather insert, and keep it from peeling up eventually. This trim ring would have to be machined from flat stock and would be quite pricy. (billit machined)
If you have the room for it, you could also try using chrome C molding made for door edges, and slip this around the edge of your bezel, making a nice neat trim. Other wise, the trim ring I mentioned previously would have to be machined from flat stock and would be quite pricy.
Other wise you are stuck with folding the fabric over and affixing it on the back side.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27 PM

Thanks - that is what I suspected. YOu have stimulated my imagination though, and I am going to attempt to figure out some kind of bezel/sealing ring.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I'm doing a similar thing on the door panels of my pickup - I am sinking the grilles on the 6" speakers into the panel so the vinyl must butt up against the grille. I simply cut the hole in the 1/8" plywood panel abut 1/8" over-sized and wrapped the vinyl around the edge and glued it. Now I have a very clean hole for the grille to nestle into.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Youre welcome

Thank you.
Well I do have an edge on you in that respect. Ive been doing upholstery work off and on for the past 21 yrs. Guess you could say Ive been there and done that.
There are other options but most arent that satisfactory in appearance.
Have you considered going with a wood insert over the bezel rather than the leather. A real nice burly maple or some such with a good deep stain would look very ritzy.

When I had to fabricate an instrument panel for my old Angia, I used a piece of 1 X 4, using hole saws, I cut the holes for my guages, then stained the wood with regular Oxblood colored shoe polish.
I applied several coats and buffed the heck out of it. With a strip of chrome fender well welt around the edge, it came out quite nice.

The brand shoe polish I used was called Meltonian. Its a soft buttery type of shoe polish vs the waxy stuff by Kiwi. The out come was a nice soft luster to the wood. The Kiwi polish will come out with a harder shine to it, more of a glazed look.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:07 AM

Last photo:

Not an expert by any means, but my 2 cents:

Thin plywood the shape of the dash, wrap the leather around it..and a piece of foam if you want it cushy..

small holes in the dash, spring clips in plywood..

voila... a removable leather dash panel..

basically same set up as the original door panels in my 65 =) except they were vinyl...

-Michael

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.