Does Vinyl Need To "Cook"? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Does Vinyl Need To "Cook"?

I was reading something on another board and someone said that vinyl needs to set in the sun prior to being installed. Is this true?

Here's the URL. It is mentioned about half ay down. Vinyl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It will expand and be more pliable and when it is inastalled this way and later shrinks when cooled the nmaterial will tighten up and look very good. What r u doing?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

With all due respect to CapeCodBob, that's absolute crap. Total Bullsh it. The vinyl will only be warm for a few seconds before it cools down again, long before you can cut it and sew it, and way before you can attach it to a seat frame. If you do the work right, no matter what material you use, no matter what temperature it is when you use it, it doesn't need to "cook" or "cure" or anything else, it will look and be right from the beginning.

That's like saying your car's paint job or your mechanic's repair work need to "mellow" before they are right. "wait a few months, and your car will idle like it's supposed to ......, and don't drive the car if it's cold (or warm) outside".

Have you ever had a body shop tell you to wait a few months and the paint will be perfect? Have you ever had a mechanic tell you his work will smooth itself out over time? It's either right or it's wrong. Would you accept that from a plumber or an electrician, or any other skilled trade? "you're pipes won't drain right and your water won't flow correctly for two weeks or so........." "your lights won't come on for two days........."

Would you accept that from a painter or a drywaller? I have some swamp land for sale.........cheap. Any takers? If an upholsterer tells you something like that, RUN in the other direction.

Good work looks exactly like it's supposed to look like, IMMEDIATELY. It doesn't wear in, it wears out depending on how you treat it.

It is either good or bad, right from the git go, just like everything else.

Upholstery is an ART, not a science. You either have a Rembrandt or an Arnold Ziffel, there's no in between.

Today's vinyl (and other materials for that matter) are the easiest things to work with on the planet, and if you can't, or don't want to, make it look like it should, then don't keep trying. The problem is, upholstery is a dying art and 75% of the people doing it don't really know what a quality job is.

I'm sorry, you touched a nerve.......I am sick to death of people saying "that looks so good" when it actually looks like sh it, but nobody knows anything about it other than the colors match the car it's in. I am sick to death of going to car shows and seeing $20,000 paint jobs and $10,000 engines with $500 interiors. I have worked at, and perfected my craft over 37 years, and it makes me puke to have people make excuses for why their work sucks, or worse, not know that their work sucks.

Would anybody like a thread started on what constitutes a good upholstery job? Too late, I already did........stay tuned.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I am sick to death of going to car shows and seeing $20,000 paint jobs and $10,000 engines with $500 interiors. I have worked at, and perfected my craft over 37 years, and it makes me puke to have people make excuses for why their work sucks, or worse, not know that their work sucks.
You forgot the 5G sound system. I can't tell you how mant times I've seen a 500 dollar car with a 5000 dollar sound system.

I thought it was bullsh it as well, Dan.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

BTW, putting plastic over a car seat's foam is total Bull sh it also. If you can show me one car seat in an original car that's done that way I will close my business tomorrow. They did that with boat seats, and all it does it hold in water that condenses from temperature changes, and it only makes the seat fail sooner, especially when boat seats had wood bases. It rotted the wood. They still do it today with plastic seat bases, and it is just as stupid. Retaining water in foam makes it get mold and mildew and stay wet damn near forever. It is far better not to promote condensation and hold in that water. When I do boat seats, I take them apart as soon as I get them and let them dry out, some times for a month before they are dry enough to put back together. Some times I wait longer to let a wood based seat completely dry in the open air.

If you can't put a seat cover over the seat foam on a seat frame without using some "aid" that was never used in the first place, then you don't know what you're doing.

The internet is a powerful thing, and there is a lot of good information available, but there is also a lot of crap being passed off as knowledge or expertise that is nothing more than destructive garbage. If it sounds like bull sh it, it usually is.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.