Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Does your car get attention and do you like it?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Yes and yes. When I approach someone about their car I'm hoping to hear something "outside the box" feature they applied, to give me something to think about.

When I'm approached, typically it is "What is it?", which I follow with "A 1923 Track-T, but its main claim to fame is weighing 1790 lbs." If they make the connection to the lightness (most non car people have no idea what any car weighs), then their 2nd question is "What are you running?". That is where it gets fun when I reply "427 mouse, dyno'ed 526 hp @ 5700, going into a Tremec 5 speed manual and a Jag IRS". This answer separates the car nuts from the masses. The conversation loses traction with the masses at this point, but ramps up with the car nuts.

As someone else posted, the looks to me aren't near as important as flat out performance and my joy of driving it. For 40 years of hot rodding I've always wanted a mid 9 second street driven car but don't like how nasty the engine build needs to be for a typical 3600 lb car to have that level of performance. By halving the weight of the car, the personality of the engine doesn't need to be a snarling, barking dog, crappy popping idle, clutch slipping to 3000 rpm to get going, no thanks. So I'm pleased with my easy starting 427, that has better street manners than a gang banger, and can manage mid teens for mpg.

Bob