Does your car get attention and do you like it? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

An American car gets a lot of attention here in Spain, not so many about.
I get pissed off though because most who ask think itīs the Knight Rider Firebird.
Some attention I can do without though, those who drive alongside and waiver about the road distracted.
Had it just last week, I had to brake and let the van full of gawkers go off into the distance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
An American car gets a lot of attention here in Spain, not so many about.
I get pissed off though because most who ask think itīs the Knight Rider Firebird.
Some attention I can do without though, those who drive alongside and waiver about the road distracted.
Had it just last week, I had to brake and let the van full of gawkers go off into the distance.
I had a similar thing happen to me whilst I had my Camaro on the trailer (before I fitted the blower) going to a drag show. We was moving slow in the slow/filter lane, the fast lane was going a bit faster than ours, I looked to my right there was two men in a van, Both and taking pic's on their phones..Fair enough I wave back and myself...the big difference was, I looked forward strait after...they on the other hand kept on taking pic's and looking, Didn't see that the fast lane had come to a sudden halt, And slapped strait into the stopped car in front of them. I don't think I have laughed as much or felt as guilty at the same time in my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	72383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	72384  

Last edited by 70 1/2 Camaro; 03-19-2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Im a *** n forgot pic's
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

well.. my answer is somewhat...lol
the 71 c-10 is in driveway as I'm working on it.. it gets the notes to "take the scrapemetal off my hand lol.. with the bed off and on sawhorses and the fresh painted frame and new parts in the rear.. I think they are nuts. but..
the 1984 indy fiero.. it gets the "I haven't seen one of those in years,don't they catch on fire.".lol ya they do thats why it's still on the road 28 years later..
best was a hybrid owner that got all huffy when I was at the post office going on and on ,on how I was hurting mother earth.. I laughed and asked them how long they keep their p.o.s. hybrids.. and then said my 28 YEAR OLD CAR still gets 35 city and 40 hyway.. and their p.o.s. will be tuna cans before it even gets to be half its age.. oh the look on face priceless..
the monte SS isn't on the road.. but they are not seen much now up here so when it does get used this summer.. I'll get the thumbs up.. and you wantaa sell it.
being a gm guy in a ford family brings new meaning of black sheep of the family..
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 AM

i enjoy talking to people about the cars of days gone by classic or muscle it dont matter.so having one at a car show or crusing down the road brings like minded folks together .the attention i get is great when these people show respect for what you have done to your car and share their experance and wisdom with you .gear heads are great all over the world , we are preserving history.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

My wife and I get different reactions to driving her 03 vette. Like Martin said, when I drive the vette, I get the "look at the pathetic gold chain dude compensating for his inadequacies" look. When she drives, she gets all kinds of compliments on the car, and lots of horn honks.

I on the other hand get lots of thumbs up and compliments when I drive my 32 highboy. So. . . .I don't drive the vette !!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Love that copper color they had...just trying to remember, wasn't it bittersweet Orange...something like that. The drag package, they called that the group 19 option if I'm right...I've got that on my 69 as well. Mine is that pale Pompeii Yellow. Not the color I would have chosen if I would have been the one ordering the car but, when you find one you like, color is the least of any worries.

Mine doesn't have air either but it is the 390, 4 speed and when I bought it, it had just under 40,000 original miles. Today, after owning it for almost 22 years, it has just under 40,000 miles. I was talking about the car in a thread earlier this week and I mentioned that I loved driving the car, but I also mentioned it's only original once. It has a black interior and even the carpeted area in the back is still black...it hasn't faded at all in 44 years. The only noticeable flaw would be a dent about the size of a quarter by the rear bumper on the drivers side, other than that you could almost put it back on the showroom floor.

This is my favorite car...I've had other cars that I deserve the same kick that you feel you do but back then cars like this where fairly common and we just didn't know that some 40 plus years later we would regret all the insane deals we made and the things we did to these classics. Don't ask me what I did to a 69 Firebird that I bought because I liked the hood and the rest of the car I just didn't need.

One question I have for you though...that roof spoiler, wasn't that a dealer installed option for 1970? I know that in those days if you had a late end of the year production number, sometimes the following years options ended up on the previous model year. The reason I ask is because I thought it was a Mark Donahue option in 1970. I could be wrong but AMC did a lot of strange things in the late 60's and early 70's, God bless them

Ray
This is the color of my car it was a 69 ,the spolier could have ben added since it had 2800 miles when i bought it,it was not a mark donahue ,it was a breedlove edetion,also i reversed ps/pb it had power disc no power sterring,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1969_amc_amx_95135555007922249.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	72386   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	72387  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

My old Coupe is nuttin special, I dont have the bazillion dollar paint job or a blower or any of that. Justa warmed up small block and my old original tin. But it gets a crowd no matter where i go with it. I can be toolin around at nite, and folks will pass and slow down, next thing ya know, cell phone flash going off, lmao.....i dont see any big deal, but people show alot of interest. And i dont mind as long as they stay out of and off of the car.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:

Interesting question.

I recently sold a Camaro the I have owned for the past 13 years.

The car sounded like it was ready to jump off the ground with 500+ horsepower and it shook the ground.

The car looked like brand new even thought it was over 30 years old.

I found whenever I drove the car which was only once or twice a month people just seemed to stare and sometimes give you a thumps up.

It was a little uncomfortable sometimes driving it so I sold the car.

Not sure I would do that again. Jimbo
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

I think the attention is part of owning a hot rod. We knew as we were building and getting them ready for the road. that we would be noticed every time we are out in them. I get the the line once and awhile " i used to build them years ago" But they can not even tell you what it is! I Also have many stop light chats. light turns green and say see ya!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

59 Elky-----that thing gets a lot of attention-----some people have never even seen one.
66 Elky----not so much, but that car is quite a bit more nimble driving about town
The little Ranchero (65) is currently an unrestored time capsule and really gets the most attention----dunno why----might be the Cal Custom steering wheel and the "BigFoot" gas pedal.

When traveling with both Elkys (I have a friend drive one of them to outta town events) it is amazing how many people are taking videos or pictures of both of the cars as we are cruising the interstates.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
This is the color of my car it was a 69 ,the spolier could have ben added since it had 2800 miles when i bought it,it was not a mark donahue ,it was a breedlove edetion,also i reversed ps/pb it had power disc no power sterring,
Damn that picture makes me want to get mine out of storage....I woke up to over a foot of fresh snow today so I gotta wait. Yes that is the Bittersweet Orange color, one of my favorites. Your right, the Breedlove Edition was out in 69 after "Pike's Peak" and setting a few records and the Donahue was 1970 and mostly Javelins.

Just look what you've done....now I need to take a look at mine and start getting it ready for May 1st...when I should be working...LOL.

Ray
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
My wife and I get different reactions to driving her 03 vette. Like Martin said, when I drive the vette, I get the "look at the pathetic gold chain dude compensating for his inadequacies" look. When she drives, she gets all kinds of compliments on the car, and lots of horn honks.

I on the other hand get lots of thumbs up and compliments when I drive my 32 highboy. So. . . .I don't drive the vette !!
I'm glad it's not just me, you do see a difference, isn't that wild! When some dude makes a snide comment about my Rambler I always say "You know how a guy who can't satisfy a woman drives a big four wheel drive to make up for that?, I drive a Rambler because I don't need anything to tell me I'm a man". LOL

Brian
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
I think the attention is part of owning a hot rod. We knew as we were building and getting them ready for the road. that we would be noticed every time we are out in them. I get the the line once and awhile " i used to build them years ago" But they can not even tell you what it is! I Also have many stop light chats. light turns green and say see ya!!!
Isn't that funny, a common interest like that really works between us don't it?

I had a funny experience back a few months ago. I was making a left had turn at a four way stop sign. In the lane to my left that I was turning in front of was a late model Porsche Turbo Carrera and the guy almost went out of turn, moving ahead after I had started to go. I said "Hold on there Porsche dude, Rambler dude is going first". And as I drove past him, our drivers windows just feet part he smiled and gave me a thumbs up. LOL

So this morning I found myself in the exact same place and as I drove past him he gave me the "You the man" finger point. LOLOL This dude sitting in a Porsche with a suit on gives me the "You the man" sign, he helped my day start out on a high note, I had smile the rest of the way to work.

Brian
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

When I cruise in the 6banger the looks are ones of disbelief from most of the guys, allot of the time they cant believe how small these cars are, there are not many around. The gals tend to oggle more and smile, thumbs up, stare.

At least I can say I am not compensating for a size issue lol.

The tuner crowd are big smiles and pointing and puzzled all at the same time "hey man what the heck is that?,,,cool".

The C10, the guys are all thumbs up and the girls are wondering what the big deal is.

There is no place to hide in the roadster, I just naturally have a smile on my face when I am in this car, dont really care what anyone thinks, its me and the road. I will take the toneau cover off and give my daughters a spin, my youngest figures its the coolest thing going, good enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	72395  
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
When I cruise in the 6banger the looks are ones of disbelief from most of the guys, allot of the time they cant believe how small these cars are, there are not many around. The gals tend to oggle more and smile, thumbs up, stare.

At least I can say I am not compensating for a size issue lol.

The tuner crowd are big smiles and pointing and puzzled all at the same time "hey man what the heck is that?,,,cool".

The C10, the guys are all thumbs up and the girls are wondering what the big deal is.

There is no place to hide in the roadster, I just naturally have a smile on my face when I am in this car, dont really care what anyone thinks, its me and the road. I will take the toneau cover off and give my daughters a spin, my youngest figures its the coolest thing going, good enough for me.
Heck yeah it's cool! My dad managed a used car lot that specialized in European sports car for a while when I had just gotten my license and drove a LOT of those cars. That was on of my favorites.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.