Does your car get attention and do you like it? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The kids used to like my truck when it had the flames, now not so much.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Yes - any of my "special" cars get attention. Sometimes a LOT of it. And NO, I do not like it. I drive them because I like them, not because of what they look like (I don't give a rat's bleep about appearance).

Sometimes the comments are along the lines of "why don't you fix that fender?" or "why don't you do the upholstery"? or "what happened to the bumper?", or whatever.

Answer - I have driven the '57 for 26 years now with el-cheapo seat covers hiding the rips and mismatched chunks of rubber mats on the floor, scratches in the paint,dings in the tin, etc. So what?
The '37 Dodge is "as was" and has its original upholstery - which mice have lived in.

The '28 A has wrinkled fenders and rust showing through the primer. (and I grenaded the LT-1 in it a few years ago, and maybe I will get around to doing something with it again soon. Although I think it will likely be a 1UZ-FE this time.

The '56 F100 will still have wrinkly fenders and no paint when it is done. I'm half-way through doing the 1970 Caddy 500 for it and I have a pair of mis-matched Jeep Grand Cherokee power seats for it

Bondo is falling outta front fenders on the '65 P1800

People see me driving 'em and assume that I am too poor to afford a newer/better car. Perfect by me!

If I cared about appearance I might do something about it, but I do not welcome attention, and I do not care what others think

(Hell, even my wife's 4-year old Lexus LS and my '06 Silverado 3500 have never even been washed since we got 'em)

Last edited by Dave57210; 03-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sharp TR6 ,i was at a local car show last year called Hillbilliys & Hotrods it was mostly so called Rat Rods ,some of attention to detail was unbeliveable.most had newer engines ,but there were lots of Flatties inline 6s early hemis ,mexican blanket seat covers mail box for glove box ,sign boards for floors : ,etc etc,There were enjoying there self with there cars with out tons of money invested, most had upgreded brakes and fuel systems ,I dont know who enjoyed it the most Them or ME.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
The kids used to like my truck when it had the flames, now not so much.
What a difference! And it looks great either way in my opinion.

Brian
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Yes - any of my "special" cars get attention. Sometimes a LOT of it. And NO, I do not like it. I drive them because I like them, not because of what they look like (I don't give a rat's bleep about appearance).
I can understand how you feel and I don't care how people think about ME either. But I do get enjoyment out of THEIR enjoyment seeing my car. Seeing someone get a kick out of seeing something different, that is what I like about how other people think.

Brian
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I lost interest in competing for trophies years ago but can not imagine how disappointed I would be if others did not like the car. Every once in a while someone will stop while you are buying gas or parked at a cruise in and ask to take a picture or compliment you on the car. That and the thumbs up Brian referred to are my trophies.

Many people say they don't care if anyone else likes their car but it would be a terrible disappointment to me if they didn't.

John L
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
What year was your's, my 69 is my pride and joy...I waited about 20 years to find one in the original condition that this one is in. When I was 16, I had my eye on a 68, 290, 4 speed car but the owner refused to sell it so when this one came up I jumped at the chance. I've had the car for almost 22 years now and I'm saving up for a burial plot right beside mine for the car...I was going to be buried in it but I didn't want to stink up the interior.

Ray
I' ve had a couple chevelles and camaros and other than my 57 chevy my 70 AMC javelin and my 48 ply biz coupe got the most attention.

For the most part its cool..My favorite question is what is it ??
The thing I dont like is when everyone has to drive right up my but so they can get a better look.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Back when I had my fiddy fi, I used to tell my Wiffy that it probably introduced me to more nice people than any person had !
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I always like a thumbs up a wave or smile to let me know all my work and labor was not in vein ,some one else likes the same things and cars i do,what i dont like about the hobby ,while we were on the way to a cruise in we stopped at a shopping center to pick ip something ,i didnt want to park close to store and take a chance of ,door rash,, so i parked up at the road away from any other car none --0-none - and was to walk down to store app 200 yds,before we got out of car,The biggest uglyist beat up already dented Buick or Olds with a lets say Plus size woman driving she parked so close to me i could not open my door to get out ,so i knew she could not open her door and back her big a-- out of her car without hitting my car with her door ,so i cranked up to move ,she made some remark about me moving,,bit my tounge and drove off,mad but i drove off..
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I always like a thumbs up a wave or smile to let me know all my work and labor was not in vein ,some one else likes the same things and cars i do,what i dont like about the hobby ,while we were on the way to a cruise in we stopped at a shopping center to pick ip something ,i didnt want to park close to store and take a chance of ,door rash,, so i parked up at the road away from any other car none --0-none - and was to walk down to store app 200 yds,before we got out of car,The biggest uglyist beat up already dented Buick or Olds with a lets say Plus size woman driving she parked so close to me i could not open my door to get out ,so i knew she could not open her door and back her big a-- out of her car without hitting my car with her door ,so i cranked up to move ,she made some remark about me moving,,bit my tounge and drove off,mad but i drove off..
I agree with you completely...that is one thing that pisses me off to no end...I had a similar thing happen to me...I backed into the parking spot, went inside the local parts store, as I'm walking out this guy pulls right up beside me. so close I couldn't get in my car and I asked the guy to move his car so I could get in, he asked me why...so I told him that he pulled in frontwards, I backed in, he could get into his drivers side, I couldn't and I didn't want to dent my door or his while I was getting in...he told me that my car was old anyway, why would I care. I looked at him and said.."yes, my car is old, in fact it's older than you are and yet I gave you and your car enough respect to ask you to move, how about a little of the same courtesy."

I got the finger, to which I relied "I think your # 1 too," as the guy jumped in his car, he slammed it into reverse, moved over about 15 inches, got out and asked me if I was F@#*ing happy. I told him, "I'm always happy, it's just my nature, give it a try." Now why does that seem to piss these people off more than I am when they park that close to me?

Ray
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

Ray, what a sad little pathetic man it is who would act that way. I feel sorry for him, yet at the same time I would like to knock his teeth out, my emotions are torn.

Brian
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Ya know Brian, those guys are everywhere and not hard to spot. These are the guys that feel the whole world is out to get them...everybody has a problem, except them and they walk around with a great bid chip on their shoulder, blaming everybody and everyone for the miserable life they're living. They feel that the entire world has done them wrong when if they only looked at themselves, they might see where the problem is. One thing I do know, I wasn't the who urinated in his Cocco Puffs.

Ray
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Now you guys know why I quit eating Cocoa Puffs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (03-20-2013), bigdog7373 (03-20-2013), MARTINSR (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Ya know Brian, those guys are everywhere and not hard to spot. These are the guys that feel the whole world is out to get them...everybody has a problem, except them and they walk around with a great bid chip on their shoulder, blaming everybody and everyone for the miserable life they're living. They feel that the entire world has done them wrong when if they only looked at themselves, they might see where the problem is. One thing I do know, I wasn't the who urinated in his Cocco Puffs.

Ray
Yep, I know someone like that, unfortunately I have to deal with her all the time, my sister-in-law. EVERYDAY there are people trying to stop her from fulfilling her dreams. If it wasn't for all the OTHER things beyond her control her life would be perfect. And what's sad is she is right, her life would be perfect if she didn't BLAME all those things beyond her control.

I have been so pleased to see that her son (single mom, natch) isn't following that path. He is a great kid and posted the other day on Facebook this link. Too bad those people with the problem of my sister-in-law didn't see how screwed up THEY are and study it daily. I know I don't have the problem but I still study this sort of thing daily, maybe that's the reason I don't have the problem? Hmmmmmmmmm
22 Things Happy People Do Differently | Successify!

And thus why I like seeing people with smiles on their faces when they look at my Rambler.

Brian
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Some years ago a friend of mine - body man - put his heart and soul into restoring a '69 Caddy Eldorado. Dark metallic blue - perfect! Working on his other car, needed to go to the local Sears to replace a broken wrench. Short trip, so rather than wait for his wife to get home, he took the Caddy. Parked way away from everybody and everything. In the store 5 minutes, comes out to find a piece of ***** junker parked very close to his, and a huge ding in his door that lined up with the door edge of the junker! Paint also chipped down to the metal. He had finished the Caddy less than a week before, and he lost his mind! He went into his trunk, found a pick style body hammer, and proceeded to slam 40 or so holes into the other guys hood and roof! He caught his breath, regained some of his senses, and got the heck out of there. Other than that time, I had never seen him lose his temper.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.