Does your car get attention and do you like it? - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM
John long's Avatar
Slow but willing learner
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Age: 69
Posts: 2,177
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,030
Thanked 1,359 Times in 1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
It was logical! If I get rid of the car...someone gives me cash. If I get rid of the wife...it will cost me cash. LOL. This is of course only a joke! I truly love and adore my wife, she's worth more then any car ever could be!
The best things in life are indeed free but they won't marry you unless you have cash....

John L

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,238
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 533
Thanked 228 Times in 204 Posts
LOL
One of my customers has a really nice 68 Camaro drag car with a 427 SBC in it (really stiff solid roller, huge AFR heads, a real Barry Grant carb and headers with race bullets); he let her sit in it and fire it off. I think she just about peed herself when it woke up, and she had her foot on the gas a little so it really ripped. I remember sitting in a Super Mod roundy round car and having the same look on my face when I was 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You mean when you go to the local cruise in you don't stack your trophies on the hood? How on earth are people going to know you have a nice car?

John L
Just slightly abrasive
Years ago, before the internet a friend of mine was trying to sell his 73 Camaro, a nice car but it needed attention in a few areas and he was asking quite a bit more than the car was worth at the time. He advertised the normal way, in a local newspaper for a few weeks and didn't get a call. So he went to the Jewellery store, bought 4 or 5 trophies, advertised the car in a city newspaper and all he changed in the add was the price, it went up by a few hundred dollars and added a new last line that rear...."trophies go with the car". Within 2 days he got his asking price.

Now, I told my buddy that his add was deceptive, he said it was creative advertising and never told anybody he won the trophies, they just assumed he won them. I think it's a fine line between deceptive and creative but, he was definitely thinking outside the box...LOL

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MS
Posts: 44
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a lot of looks everywhere I go. I guess it's nice to get some complements, and most mean well. It's just the heartless trash that will never understand what it means to pour your heart and soul into anything that I worry about.

I took my car to Home Depot one morning because it was early, and I knew there wouldn't be but a few people around. I parked way out away from anything, and I was only inside for 5 minutes. I come out, and there is an old beat up minivan parked right next to me. After a long, tense walk out to my car, I find nothing wrong. Never again.

I also took it to a very low level car show one time, mainly as a reveal to a lot of friends a family. It was obvious that most of these people had no clue about car show behavior. Adults and kids alike were standing on my running boards, putting their hands all over it, and even trying to open the door. Thank goodness for shaved handles. I kept telling my dad, "What makes these people think it's okay for them to do this?" I went out to the parking lot and tried to do any of that to their VW wagon, they would be like, "What the?!" That was a stressful, long day. Never again.

It's sad when you are afraid to let your car out of your site for fear that some jealous scumbag will do something to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MS
Posts: 44
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Years ago, before the internet a friend of mine was trying to sell his 73 Camaro, a nice car but it needed attention in a few areas and he was asking quite a bit more than the car was worth at the time. He advertised the normal way, in a local newspaper for a few weeks and didn't get a call. So he went to the Jewellery store, bought 4 or 5 trophies, advertised the car in a city newspaper and all he changed in the add was the price, it went up by a few hundred dollars and added a new last line that rear...."trophies go with the car". Within 2 days he got his asking price.

Now, I told my buddy that his add was deceptive, he said it was creative advertising and never told anybody he won the trophies, they just assumed he won them. I think it's a fine line between deceptive and creative but, he was definitely thinking outside the box...LOL

Ray
As soon as I arrived at the show I mentioned above, I get out of the car, and I see this official-looking guy walking towards me with a trophy. He hands me the trophy, and I say, "Wow...that was easy."

He replies, "Everyone gets one."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,228
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,350
Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford View Post
As soon as I arrived at the show I mentioned above, I get out of the car, and I see this official-looking guy walking towards me with a trophy. He hands me the trophy, and I say, "Wow...that was easy."

He replies, "Everyone gets one."
LOLOLOL

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #97 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 246
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
shows

Just hook up a positive cable to the body of your car so everytime they touch it they complete the circuit and POW...that'll keep them from touching it. But seriously, I know what you mean, ceveryone thinks that they need to touch it to see it. I always cringe when they come around my cars. Children I can somewhat forgive because they don't really know better...but grown adults...damn, look but dont touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #98 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,228
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,350
Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford View Post
I get a lot of looks everywhere I go. I guess it's nice to get some complements, and most mean well. It's just the heartless trash that will never understand what it means to pour your heart and soul into anything that I worry about.

I took my car to Home Depot one morning because it was early, and I knew there wouldn't be but a few people around. I parked way out away from anything, and I was only inside for 5 minutes. I come out, and there is an old beat up minivan parked right next to me. After a long, tense walk out to my car, I find nothing wrong. Never again.

I also took it to a very low level car show one time, mainly as a reveal to a lot of friends a family. It was obvious that most of these people had no clue about car show behavior. Adults and kids alike were standing on my running boards, putting their hands all over it, and even trying to open the door. Thank goodness for shaved handles. I kept telling my dad, "What makes these people think it's okay for them to do this?" I went out to the parking lot and tried to do any of that to their VW wagon, they would be like, "What the?!" That was a stressful, long day. Never again.

It's sad when you are afraid to let your car out of your site for fear that some jealous scumbag will do something to it.
I have to say that driving an old car that is a beater is really nice. I have had the same feeling where it just makes you sick as you are walking around somewhere and all you can think about is your car worried that someone has touched it. My Rambler, I never think a thing of it, another chip, so what I will brush touch it this weekend. The bumpers have funky chrome on them, if one gets hit, so what. It is just so much different driving my other car and it isn't a show car by any means. But the paint is cut and buffed and blemish free. The thought of a door even just tapping it fries my brain! It's a convertible so it sure as heck can be left anywhere. I have to tell you I am getting to understand the guys who want nothing of a super nice car, just a driver is pretty fun.
And the funny part is most of the average public can't tell the difference! People ask me all the time if I restored it, huh? It's really not very nice. But on that regard of people knowing the difference, years ago my brother and I both had 65 Buick Gran Sport convertibles. Mine was a beater big time, top shot, bumpers rusty, and the paint, atrocious paint. It had a really cheap Earl Schib like paint job over dents and scrapes. It was an old paint job and was faded horribly. I buffed it but it was blochy as heck, basically all different shades of yellow, but it shined.

His was a full frame off restoration like none you can imagine, we are talking all NOS window motors with every single thing rebuilt from the rear axle to the speedometer, no kidding, a REALLY first class restoration. Everything re-plated, perfect paint, NOS grille and headlamp doors, I mean REALLY nice. His was "Bamboo cream" a yellowy beige color, not nearly as green yellow as my car so they weren't even the same color, but sorta in the same ball park close.

Anyway, people would mistake me for him or him for me all the time. I remember one time at a stop light a guy says "Hi Russ" (my brother's name, and we do look a lot alike) I say "No, I'm Brian his brother" and the guy said "Oh, wow, he's letting you drive his car". "No" I say "this is my car", "He sold it to you!"

So a beater is really no difference at all to the average person, "Sure is in good shape for a car that old" will be said whether it's a beater like my Rambler or a nice car like my Gran Sport, they really don't see the difference.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #99 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,228
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,350
Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Just hook up a positive cable to the body of your car so everytime they touch it they complete the circuit and POW...that'll keep them from touching it. But seriously, I know what you mean, ceveryone thinks that they need to touch it to see it. I always cringe when they come around my cars. Children I can somewhat forgive because they don't really know better...but grown adults...damn, look but dont touch.
I taught my kids from when they were toddlers to keep their hands behind their back when they are near a car. If they are looking inside, their hands are clasped behind their back. I taught them that even though YOU know you aren't going to hear it, you want the owner when he sees you, you want HIM to know you aren't going just by looking at you.

Yep, I have came back to my truck at a show to have a kid standing on the running board (painted lacquer ) with one arm thru the window holding the inside of the door so he doesn't fall off, with this other hand picking his nose, NO KIDDING this happen to me! LOL, it will drive you nuts, that is one bummer with having a nicer car.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #100 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Your right Brian, my wife see a vehicle that I've put close to 2,000 hours into, frame off, everything is cut and buffed, the engine is painted body color, chrome all redone, straight as an arrow and all I get from her is, "OH that's shiny" and walks away. Yet if anybody comes near here Eldorado...well look out. I've tried to show her the detail and explain why it takes as long as it does, if it's not a body style she cares for, all it is to her is shiny.

I did a Nova a few years back, it wasn't a frame off but it was straight and an all around clean car, she saw it and said, "I hate the color". Yet, when I showed her a 1930 Ford that I put next to no time in, just blocked the car, painted it and cut and buffed a few spots, to her, that was the best restoration job anybody could have ever done. When they don't know, they don't know.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #101 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Ford View Post
As soon as I arrived at the show I mentioned above, I get out of the car, and I see this official-looking guy walking towards me with a trophy. He hands me the trophy, and I say, "Wow...that was easy."

He replies, "Everyone gets one."
I love it...that's hilarious.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #102 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 832
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 375
Thanked 285 Times in 251 Posts
I think some people really dont know ,some just dont care ,but then again some are just Jealous ,i restored a 1969 Nova SS for my sons 16 th birthday nearly 10 months work it scored 935 points out of 1000 at Super Chevy show.2 dats after he got it ,then on Monday he drove it to school it was keyed from headlight to taillight on drivers side down to bare metal .so i dont say much when i get candy or hand prints any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #103 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
wretched ratchet's Avatar
one full turn after it squeeks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yuppieville, Tejas
Age: 73
Posts: 1,180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 198
Thanked 228 Times in 178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I think some people really dont know ,some just dont care ,but then again some are just Jealous ,i restored a 1969 Nova SS for my sons 16 th birthday nearly 10 months work it scored 935 points out of 1000 at Super Chevy show.2 dats after he got it ,then on Monday he drove it to school it was keyed from headlight to taillight on drivers side down to bare metal .so i dont say much when i get candy or hand prints any more.
Catching someone doing that would send me to Prison without a trial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #104 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,228
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,350
Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Back awhile ago there was a news story about a guy with a Hummer who found it scratched on a number of times. So he put some cameras on it mounted in the mirrors. Sure enough it's sitting in a parking lot and an old man in a Toyota pulls up behind it and gets out and scratches the crap out of it, gets back into his Toyota and drives off! What a friggin mental case!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #105 (permalink)  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM
sedanbob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Louis
Age: 65
Posts: 626
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 80 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, I have came back to my truck at a show to have a kid standing on the running board (painted lacquer ) with one arm thru the window holding the inside of the door so he doesn't fall off, with this other hand picking his nose, NO KIDDING this happen to me! LOL, it will drive you nuts, that is one bummer with having a nicer car.

Brian
Mid-way through my build, I switched from smooth running boards to the original rubber covered ones, because I saw kids at a car show stepping up on the running boards of a similar car, so they could look inside! Rather than go to jail for beating someone's kid, or my own grandkids, I switched to the rubber boards. Also, I determined it's practically impossible to get in or out of the back seat without stepping on the boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Project Attention Deficit Disorder ADD John Se Hotrodders' Lounge 14 01-23-2012 05:48 AM
Attention old car stuff domesticsrule Hotrodders' Lounge 0 11-04-2008 09:24 PM
attention FASTCHEVY fast68 Engine 0 01-06-2006 06:03 PM
Attention Ohio Members - Classic Car Auction March 20th Centerline Hotrodders' Lounge 2 03-10-2004 12:36 PM
Need-Attention? lluciano77 Hotrodders' Lounge 0 11-28-2003 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.