Does your car get attention and do you like it? - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #121 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
wretched ratchet's Avatar
one full turn after it squeeks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yuppieville, Tejas
Age: 72
Posts: 1,179
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 88
Thanked 195 Times in 152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
i dont know if this is reverse snobbery or not.
but from the sounds of it i am glad i dont own a beautiful,hyper expensive show car.
no taking it to the corner store for smokes. let alone actually smoking in it.
never leave it unattended.
constant worry if it might rain etc.
while i like looking at them.
even if i could afford it.
owning one doesnt sound like much fun.
I understand you completely, Unka Bill, and I could never have the discipline that it takes to own a "trailer queen". However, I have all the admiration and respect for those that choose to. I have known and hung out with both kinds of owners and found them all to be very friendly and enjoyable Dudes.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #122 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: durango colo.
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
I understand you completely, Unka Bill, and I could never have the discipline that it takes to own a "trailer queen". However, I have all the admiration and respect for those that choose to. I have known and hung out with both kinds of owners and found them all to be very friendly and enjoyable Dudes.
i have some buddies with show cars.
stunning
but not for me.
i have more fun with them when they take what they consider their beaters out for a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #123 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM
TucsonJay's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 801
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 96 Times in 75 Posts
Many years ago I had a custom painted '62 Vette I drove. One night an elderly woman parked next to me... looked my car from end to end... then opened her door into the side of it! I didn't hold it against the lady, as she was about 90.

When my wife came out I was grumbling, and she had me tell her what happened. She told me she didn't understand why I painted the car that way, when I was going to drive it.

A couple weeks later it dawned on me...

"A show quality paint job, with a scratch in it, looked far better than a boring one-color job with a scratch or rock chips!!!"

After that I just accepted that it was the price for actually using the car, in stead of locking it in the garage! :-)

To sum this up... Build what you love, and then enjoy it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 116 (2).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	73219  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #124 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 637 Times in 572 Posts
It's always that first scratch or ding that drives you through the wall...but, after that, you don't notice them as much and can start enjoying the vehicle more...sometimes I think I should put the first ding in the car, that way I can start enjoying it right away...LOL.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #125 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Project89's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: utah
Posts: 950
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
i used to take my v6 camaro to the swap meet/car show, the paint sucked but the body was stright. and honestly the only reason i ever put it in the car show was so i didnt have to walk 3 miles to go look around and shop. hell after 1 pm u could take the car and drive it threw the pits instead of walking miles are lugging large parts 2-3 miles back to ur car.

anyways there was a few years i got to do zero shopping or looking around as once i pop'ed the hood and everyone saw that i had a custom sheet metal intake manifold and a turbo charger on the 2.8 engine , i had such a crowd around the car and ppl asking questions i just couldnt get away

one year i really pissed off a vette guy that was parked nexto me he had one of the lt5( twin dohc cam ???) vettes and i had a bigger crowd around my v6 camaro all day long, he was not pleased

the sound system also got me alot of complements and questions

heres some pics of how the car was when i used to take it




my gf loved all the attention the car got , i didnt mind it most of the times but it would bug me now and then when somone would stop me and i was just in a hurry to get something done

my old iroc used to get alot of attention anytime i would drive it , hot 355 with dual ex and single chamber flowmasters , and a pete jackson noisy gear drive


the most common question was is that thing supercharged

Last edited by Project89; 04-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #126 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
wretched ratchet's Avatar
one full turn after it squeeks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yuppieville, Tejas
Age: 72
Posts: 1,179
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 88
Thanked 195 Times in 152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
i have some buddies with show cars.
stunning but not for me i have more fun with them when they take what they consider their beaters out for a run.
that's what I was trying to say in my own clumsy way - - - little mini-road trips or night cruises at the local hang arounds are the Cat's Meow for me also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #127 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,098
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,279
Thanked 1,120 Times in 996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Many years ago I had a custom painted '62 Vette I drove. One night an elderly woman parked next to me... looked my car from end to end... then opened her door into the side of it! I didn't hold it against the lady, as she was about 90.

When my wife came out I was grumbling, and she had me tell her what happened. She told me she didn't understand why I painted the car that way, when I was going to drive it.

A couple weeks later it dawned on me...

"A show quality paint job, with a scratch in it, looked far better than a boring one-color job with a scratch or rock chips!!!"

After that I just accepted that it was the price for actually using the car, in stead of locking it in the garage! :-)

To sum this up... Build what you love, and then enjoy it!

LOL, very well said.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #128 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Semper Gumby
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 334
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 144
Thanked 139 Times in 116 Posts
But neither "the show quality paint" nor the "boring one-color job" actually does anything!

I've never painted a car yet - doubt if I ever will!

Nor do I ever adjust and shim and get gaps even etc.

Total waste of time & effort for no purpose whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #129 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,098
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,279
Thanked 1,120 Times in 996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
But neither "the show quality paint" nor the "boring one-color job" actually does anything!

I've never painted a car yet - doubt if I ever will!

Nor do I ever adjust and shim and get gaps even etc.

Total waste of time & effort for no purpose whatever!
We are all so different, it's fun seeing the varieties of humans and what they do. I know I can certainly dig both sides. Driving a cool old car is a blast no matter if it's a show car or a beater with chips scratches and dents and poorly fitting panels, it's STILL a blast.

I still feel that the "perfect" (there is no such thing) car is more about building it than driving it. "The journey is the destination". When someone has the passion to really go over the top with detail, it just seems like doing it is the most important to them, after it's done it's often like "yawn", even for them. I LOVE staring at a "perfect" show car,dissecting it like you are looking for dna evidence in a murder case. I really enjoy looking at those cars. But after doing one, it almost fades away, the doing it was the fun.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #130 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
mikesnyhere's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i had a 69 mustang sportroof , aka fastback not a mach 1 but looked like one . it had a 20ft paint job in jet black all stock . i would detail it regularly to go with my girlfriend to a show n shine local car show cruise ,and Pomona swap meet . it was a daily driver , and got a lot of attention . i had one girl tell me it was the reason she went out with me ! so i would say i liked the attention .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #131 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM
496CHEVY3100's Avatar
Appalachian American
 

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appalachia GA
Posts: 789
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 332
Thanked 255 Times in 224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
We are all so different, it's fun seeing the varieties of humans and what they do. I know I can certainly dig both sides. Driving a cool old car is a blast no matter if it's a show car or a beater with chips scratches and dents and poorly fitting panels, it's STILL a blast.

I still feel that the "perfect" (there is no such thing) car is more about building it than driving it. "The journey is the destination". When someone has the passion to really go over the top with detail, it just seems like doing it is the most important to them, after it's done it's often like "yawn", even for them. I LOVE staring at a "perfect" show car,dissecting it like you are looking for dna evidence in a murder case. I really enjoy looking at those cars. But after doing one, it almost fades away, the doing it was the fun.

Brian
If we all had perfect cars ,perfect paint ,panel fit interior, it never rained or snowed on them ,they always started and run perfect every time ,What a Boring hobby this would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #132 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 18
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whenever I drive one of my six cars through town I always get the thumbs up. Sometimes, going through town at about 40mph, someone will pull upp beside me and start yelling out the window, great car, really like it. ect. What he doesn't realize is that the traffic in front of him has stopped. One rear ender and a bunch of close calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #133 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,222
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 102
Thanked 131 Times in 122 Posts
On my way to a show n shine in Alaska, had a guy follow me for several miles, when I arrived he told me he could hear the blower whine a block away and had to see what I had. After than on the way to test n tune, had a guy stay along side me video taping me on the way to Palmer for a mile or so. Had another person download my videos, said he used my break in video for his phone ringtone.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #134 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
vettesplus's Avatar
RedRage
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: denver, colorado
Posts: 22
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i get alot of thumbs up and alot of people trying to figure out what make it is. my front grill seems to confuse alot of people that have knowlage of these old cars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #135 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
sedanbob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Louis
Age: 65
Posts: 626
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 61
Thanked 80 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
Had another person download my videos, said he used my break in video for his phone ringtone.
That's great! That would bring a smile to my face every time the phone rang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Project Attention Deficit Disorder ADD John Se Hotrodders' Lounge 14 01-23-2012 05:48 AM
Attention old car stuff domesticsrule Hotrodders' Lounge 0 11-04-2008 09:24 PM
attention FASTCHEVY fast68 Engine 0 01-06-2006 06:03 PM
Attention Ohio Members - Classic Car Auction March 20th Centerline Hotrodders' Lounge 2 03-10-2004 12:36 PM
Need-Attention? lluciano77 Hotrodders' Lounge 0 11-28-2003 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.