DOH! Sewing Machine Revelation! - well, at least to me... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A few weeks at school and you'll be dancing with that machine, Mark.

As Dan says ... I always run a test when I'm sewing a different type of fabric ... I look at the stitching, top-side and bottom-side, to see that the tension is right. Both threads (spool & bobbin) should be meeting in the middle of the two pieces of fabric. If the bottom thread is laying flat and not coming up to meet the top thread, I tighten the upper tension some and run another test.

I'm glad to know my posts are helping you out ... your posts help me, too, man! Discussing all these little things is always a big help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
Whether you know it or not, Dan - and you too Alan - you've been a tremendous help to me in this whole adventure. Even when you don't think you're helping, you are because your posts make me go back and check my work to see what's going on, what I did right, and what I did wrong. A second look via long distance, as it were… I'm getting to the point that I'm actually starting to know what I'm looking at, and I have you two to thank for it.

School starts Tuesday (for me anyway) and I can't wait!
Thanks for the compliment.
Before you start your class Tuesday there's something I want you to keep in mind. We haven't really touched on this subject enough, if at all, and it's something that is very important. What's underneath the fabric is just as important, if not more important, than the seat cover or door panel itself. I can't tell you how much really good work I've seen that was put on top of a 60 or 70 year old seat frame with old, tired, coil springs using the original seat padding. This is an absolute waste. By paying attention to the substructure, you can create something that will last a lifetime. It's just like painting a car without ever sanding or priming........it looks good to the eye, but it won't last very long. Make sure your instructor pays attention to what's underneath, and if he or she doesn't, ask them to.
Also: A good upholsterer has made a lot of mistakes in his career. After you've made enough mistakes, and know how to correct them, you're well on your way. Good luck with your classes.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-27-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Dan!

You did mention the condition of the seat frame in a few other posts, Dan. In fact one of the tutorials you posted was all about working on a bucket seat frame.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/buck...899.html?pp=15

According to the course description, we'll "learn how to operate the sewing machine, layout patterns and repair seat frames" among other things.

Our first class was tonight, and it was more or less just a "getting to know you" gathering. We got a tour of the shop (all the machines are Jukis ) and he explained what was expected of us, and what we could expect of him. We'll all do a class project (a "stadium cushion") to learn the machines, then we're free to bring in our own projects. I've gotten the instructor's permission to take lots of pictures of the Chevy Truck bench seat I've chosen as my project as I'm doing it, and you can be sure I'll be taking lots of notes. I'll probably not be posting anything related to my project for at least a few weeks, as it'll take that long to learn the machines and do my class project.

We discussed my Juki (it turns out I'm the only one in class who has my own machine) and he told me to just practice, take it slow, and don't get in a hurry. I've been doing that on my own since I started this thread, and I can see the improvements already. I have no doubt I can do this, and now that I'll have face-to-face, hands on instruction, I know I'll get it.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.