DOHC 3.0L V6 in 1990 Ford Probe? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2003, 01:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post DOHC 3.0L V6 in 1990 Ford Probe?

I want to build a modern American made sports car that will blow away the imports. I have a 1990 Ford Probe with a SOHC 2.0L I4. This vehicle also came with a 140HP 3.0L OHV V6. The same engine that was in the Ford Taurus. However there was also a 275 HP DOHC 3.0L V6 version of the Taurus called the SHO (Super High Output). I was wondering if this engine will mount in my Probe. I suspect that the DOHC V6 and the standard V6 share the same block (with different heads of course) and therefore have the same engine mounts. Please let me know if this swap is possible.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 01:51 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

The 3.0 SHO engine is a completely different engine. It is not an OHV block with a cam missing. Fords Duratecs and Triton engines are true OHC engines, there are no allowences for cams in their blocks. Now this doesn't mean you may not be able to fit one of these SHO engines in your Probe, that I don't know. Would be wicked fast Probe though! Those SHO engines are quick.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:49 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

thats a cool idea alabama man...that would be a sick *** car when you're done
Old 01-25-2003, 03:42 PM

the dealings ive had with 2.0 probe have found everything in the drivetrain is MAZDA, different sud frame for the FORD 3.0 every thing else MAZDA MX6
Old 01-26-2003, 03:57 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

It is a Mazda (renamed and skinned) , since Ford owns a large percentage of Mazda they are using many components. The SHO is, believe it or not, a Yamaha engine. It's my understanding that they used a unique transaxle, so you would probably want to get the whole powertrain it would probably go in with some fab work. Or... you could just locate one of the SHOguns that were made in the early to mid '90's with a Sho powertrain in the back seat of (I think) a Festiva, very wicked and etremely fast/quick. Production stopped because Ford wouldn't sell just powertrains and the company bought complete new cars and stripped the powertrains and tried to offset costs by selling the rest, didn't work, and the new cars were over $30,000 but the ultimate pocket rocket. Used ones have probably lost some of the sticker price.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 3.2 or 3.0 litre SHO engine (auto or standard) weighs 465 without trans, a 302 weighs 460.

Suddenly a 302 looks pretty good, a SHO motor is very wide at the valve covers too because of the DOHC. I suggest you go look at an engine compartment and look at how much room this little engine takes up.

I recently acquired my Dad's old 94 SHO and let me tell you the engine compartment is crammed. A 302 is much more compact, too bad it doesn't pull to 7000 rpm like an SHO motor though.

Here's a <a href="http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi" target="_blank">link</a> to a SHO forum just like this one and another <a href="http://www.shoshop.com/" target="_blank">web page</a> with lots of tips and parts.

Truly a fantastic engine though, Ford/Yamaha should never have stopped production. PM me if you want measurements etc.

P.S. I will try to get a pic for you fellas.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.