Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - DOHC on CHEVY 350? POSSIBLE?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
You're right about that, though I've seen some that can really get up and move for an orphan engine in a long-dead platform. The particular one above was actually in a ZR-1 that was painted to look like a GS, interestingly enough. It may not be a "real" sbc, but I'll be damned if it isn't the coolest motor you could purchase in a production Corvette.
I drove a ZR-1 when my nephew showed up at the shop w/one. His step dad had an exotic car lot (and was a real pos); we took it out and beat on it real good. It ran VERY strong for what it was advertised at, power-wise. Prollably the best handling car I've driven, it was a ball.

Another "orphan" engine that can be made to run hard is the Gen 2 LT1/4. Lot more of a true sbc, though. Same nephew owned a '96 Camaro at the same time he was test driving the 'Vette. I hated the 'skip shift' deal that put you in 4th IIRC if you tried to upshift 1-2 at a slow speed. First time I did it, I thought I had broken something in the transmission!

End of the story was when my nephew found a deal on a '94 Viper. He still has it. Funny thing- he's never let me drive it. Always has an excuse...