DOHC on CHEVY 350? POSSIBLE? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
It is amazing how much performance has changed in last 20 years. It only cost $58,995. What would that be in inflated dollars.
Lol that's a lot for 375hp. You would have been better to put a 455 in it for similar hp (back then) guess it depends on how much you're prepared to pay for the 'cool factor' lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM

The bolt on conversion kits for the SBC's are very interesting... Looks like the Moser/Harvey Crane Jr, DOHC heads from the 70's are about the closest thing to what I was imagining when I started this thread! I guess nobody's really experimenting with this sort of thing nowadays...

This company say's they've built over 50 OHC chevy's but no DOHC.

I guess I won't be running DOHC on my 350 anytime soon...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

torque plate bolt pattern.

I remember the torque plate you use when boring and honing blocks on the Sunnen machine would fit several engines..A lot of times engine designers had to stay with dimensions that would work on the multi million dollar machining lines. Small block fords were built on the machines that did the Y blocks. The ford FE engines 332 -428 were done on the old MEL line . merc edsel lincoln l , etc. 429-460's use the old lincoln machinery. I wonder if any of the ohc 4 Cylinders have the same dimensions as V 8's ? .
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You can get a SBC block w/undrilled decks from Dart according to Tony Hornak- either the Little M or Iron Eagle. Just request NO head bolt holes.

The water jacket passages would still be there, but w/no head bolt holes adapting a different head would be somewhat easier.

They say the chain on the front of the SOHC Ford was 6 feet long. Driving the cams would likely be as hard as mounting the heads!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...y+overhead+cam
Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Making DOHC for a SBC

I was just browsing through the internet wondering this same question when i ran across this thread, figured i'd post this on here to see if you guys would be interested in it.

I work for my family's aluminum foundry & CNC shop located in Muncie, IN, we do green sand, air set, permanent mold, and die-cast molding for various companies around the US, we've been in business since 1947, but just recently we have decided to get into manufacturing our own products and considering the past 3 generations of my family are car enthusiast we decided to delve into after market automotive, specifically starting with chevy first. we are currently in the process of manufacturing a 671 blower and we produce sbc valve covers, grenade shifter knobs, and breather caps.

What im getting at tho is, asking you guys if it would be possible to manufacture a DOHC that would fit onto a early model SBC, i know more about manufacturing than i do about valvetrains. would there have to be any modification the the block or could someone buy these and be able to bolt them on? I was talking to some guys at a car show this weekend, they said it is possible by just plugging the oil galleys and having the DOHC but from what iv found, no one makes them.

And for the pricing part, it wont be nearly as expensive as you guys might think for us to make them, we recently bought a rapid prototype 3D printer which we can design any part in a CAD program, have the printer print the part out for us in ABS, spend about 2 hours cleaning it up, and we can cast parts right off the model. I can have a cast part in a customers hand starting when the printer turns on, within 24-96hrs depending on the complexity of the part(id give a few extra on cylinder heads ). we eventually plan on manufacturing our own complete aluminum small blocks from start to finish but thats a little down the road .

Last edited by Dzuari; 09-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzuari
I was just browsing through the internet wondering this same question when i ran across this thread, figured i'd post this on here to see if you guys would be interested in it.

I work for my family's aluminum foundry & CNC shop located in Muncie, IN, we do green sand, air set, permanent mold, and die-cast molding for various companies around the US, we've been in business since 1947, but just recently we have decided to get into manufacturing our own products and considering the past 3 generations of my family are car enthusiast we decided to delve into after market automotive, specifically starting with chevy first. we are currently in the process of manufacturing a 671 blower and we produce sbc valve covers, grenade shifter knobs, and breather caps.

What im getting at tho is, asking you guys if it would be possible to manufacture a DOHC that would fit onto a early model SBC, i know more about manufacturing than i do about valvetrains. would there have to be any modification the the block or could someone buy these and be able to bolt them on? I was talking to some guys at a car show this weekend, they said it is possible by just plugging the oil galleys and having the DOHC but from what iv found, no one makes them.

And for the pricing part, it wont be nearly as expensive as you guys might think for us to make them, we recently bought a rapid prototype 3D printer which we can design any part in a CAD program, have the printer print the part out for us in ABS, spend about 2 hours cleaning it up, and we can cast parts right off the model. I can have a cast part in a customers hand starting when the printer turns on, within 24-96hrs depending on the complexity of the part(id give a few extra on cylinder heads ). we eventually plan on manufacturing our own complete aluminum small blocks from start to finish but thats a little down the road .
Single and DOHC heads have been designed for the SBC through the years- and in every case, they've not been successful.

The problem is, there's just not enough performance gain for the complexity, expense and packaging issues involved, IMO. If you DO decide to go w/the OHC deal, the drive system is a major part of the design, the Ford SOHC from the 60's had a 6 foot long(!) chain to drive it.

You would want to get a cam grinder, as well as a valve supplier/manufacturer on board, as well. That way, you wouldn't be saddled w/the learning curve associated w/the dynamics and metallurgy of cam followers, valve manufacturing, springs, lash caps/bucket shims (or whatever was to be the means to set lash), seals, retainers etc.

If I were sitting on an aluminum foundry w/the ability to do it, I would start by using a much more conventional design, like a 23 layout, w/180cc-200cc runners, and maybe an intake to match.

If you hire a good enough consultant for the initial design, and touted it as "Made in the USA", it might sell. Someone like Larry Widmer or even Jon Kaase- someone who's hopefully not already under contract to someone- which usually means there are "no compete" clauses involved.

Anyway, good luck w/all that. It would be killer to have a new face in the game w/a good product, made here.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-27-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

When the current generation Corvette was released a few years ago, there were a number of articles that discussed why the Vette still had a pushrod motor. The bottom line is that for the same HP output, the overall package dimensions were much smaller for the pushrod motor. Here's a side-by-side comparison of a 5.0 Ford and a Mod motor 4.6 as an example. DOHC and even SOHC motors are much wider, more complex, and more expensive to build than pushrod motors.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
WFO

Last photo:

They say a picture's worth a thousand words! Plus, stock the 5.0L is over 20 ci larger, and can go to 347 cid (+~66 cid) w/o drama.

BUT- there are basically stock 4.6 bottom ends making HUGE HP- boosted HP- that is. But that doesn't make the package any smaller. It is a W I D E powerplant, however you want to slice it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

One thing you guys need to look at is race rules..most rulebooks call for production based motors so an aftermarket DOHC may not be a legal race part when an improved head such as the Dart Iron Eagle is for certain classes of racing. Anything is possible. If I had that kind of capablity I would look at making some true 12 port heads for the inline crowd..A true 12 port head on a 300 ford six could make some serious HP and be in the range of doable for the rodders checkbook..

Sam
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM

A cross flow 12 port ford 300 straight six cylinder head would be sweet... At the right price I would buy one... say 1200-1500 complete with custom valve cover and water jetted flanges?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

I just took the DOHC V8 out of my Porsche and put in a SBC. I have a ton more room now. My timing belt was 9' long.

If you want a DOHC in a Chevy, I have a Porsche engine you can have cheap..
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM

OHC SBC Chevy

Checkout this link; Chevrolet Small Block V-8, Experimental SOHC Design - Museum of American Speed
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

But then there was also Argus:

Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
But then there was also Argus:

Argus? That looks a lot like the Arias BBC hemi head. Not DOHC or SOHC, though- pushrods all the way.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.