DOHC on CHEVY 350? POSSIBLE? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I see DOHC 5.7L Chevy's at car shows all time. Parts aren't easy to come by, but they have to be easier than one-off aftermarket pieces. Here's a pic I took of one at a cars and coffee in Las Vegas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Corvette ZR1 LT5 Information and Specs
Here's a link to Corvette heads from the early 90's. They were apparently all aluminum engines, but they were also 349 CI DOHC engines.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Corvette ZR1 LT5 Information and Specs
Here's a link to Corvette heads from the early 90's. They were apparently all aluminum engines, but they were also 349 CI DOHC engines.
Yeah, the only thing is that they made about 7000 total, only in corvettes, and the only thing they share in common with a sbc is the 4.4" bore spacing.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Guys talk about the limits of hp for DOHC SBC's not even being able to produce the same HP as the push rod engines and how complicated they are.We know that one part of how fast a engine rev's is related to how light the valve train is.Given a DOHC is a substantially lighter valve train,they get to the 375 hp limits(in some cases 375 hp)lightening fast.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

I built a lot of SBCs back in the day. It was not too hard to run with the big block muscle cars, if it was in a light body, and had some simple mods. What is the reason you are thinking of the OHC design? It would not yield any appricable RPM gain... and would probably be a lot more expense than to adding a turbo or supercharger. The only thing that seems a real gain from my experience is the visual impact.

If you are looking for something more visually stimulating... maybe a set of custom milled valve covers with some creative design work... and maybe an unusual intake of some sort.

I've seen some locals doing experimentation with designing electronic injection setups. and getting a visual boost in the process. Unless you could find an aftermarket setup, you might search for local talent that is sophisticated enough to build something with computer control.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I see DOHC 5.7L Chevy's at car shows all time. Parts aren't easy to come by, but they have to be easier than one-off aftermarket pieces. Here's a pic I took of one at a cars and coffee in Las Vegas.

And as posted in this thread about three years ago, that's NOT an SBC. It's an LT5 designed by Lotus and built by Mercury Marine. The only thing it has in common with an SBC is the bellhousing bolt pattern.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Zr-1

It has the same 4.4" bore centers. I believe is missing one bellhousing hole (similar to Gen3/4) but pattern same otherwise. Last I heard, parts of most any kind were very hard to get from GM. The aftermarket hasn't supported it, and why would they? Six years and less than 7000 units doesn't make much of a market.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
It has the same 4.4" bore centers. I believe is missing one bellhousing hole (similar to Gen3/4) but pattern same otherwise. Last I heard, parts of most any kind were very hard to get from GM. The aftermarket hasn't supported it, and why would they? Six years and less than 7000 units doesn't make much of a market.
You're right about that, though I've seen some that can really get up and move for an orphan engine in a long-dead platform. The particular one above was actually in a ZR-1 that was painted to look like a GS, interestingly enough. It may not be a "real" sbc, but I'll be damned if it isn't the coolest motor you could purchase in a production Corvette.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
You're right about that, though I've seen some that can really get up and move for an orphan engine in a long-dead platform. The particular one above was actually in a ZR-1 that was painted to look like a GS, interestingly enough. It may not be a "real" sbc, but I'll be damned if it isn't the coolest motor you could purchase in a production Corvette.
I drove a ZR-1 when my nephew showed up at the shop w/one. His step dad had an exotic car lot (and was a real pos); we took it out and beat on it real good. It ran VERY strong for what it was advertised at, power-wise. Prollably the best handling car I've driven, it was a ball.

Another "orphan" engine that can be made to run hard is the Gen 2 LT1/4. Lot more of a true sbc, though. Same nephew owned a '96 Camaro at the same time he was test driving the 'Vette. I hated the 'skip shift' deal that put you in 4th IIRC if you tried to upshift 1-2 at a slow speed. First time I did it, I thought I had broken something in the transmission!

End of the story was when my nephew found a deal on a '94 Viper. He still has it. Funny thing- he's never let me drive it. Always has an excuse...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.