Doing my own door panels with flames - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 11:00 PM

Last journal entry: Flamethrower trial
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Doing my own door panels with flames

Bare with me

I have already searched the forum and the KB and have found nothing on doin' this so i'll just ask I've got a 1960 Buick LeSabre that I'm trying to redo the interior in and am going to make my own door panels. If you don't know what they look like they have the notch on the front top for the windshield and they are not flat, they bow out at the top. Anyway, I'm doing them red, black and white. Red on the front with a black strip, white strip another black strip and then red again and the arm rests will be red also. The outside is going to be black with flames and I want to have some flames on the inside also but very subtly as I want to maintain a mainly stock interior so i'm going to do a small set of raised flames coming off of the vent window crank, window crank and back of the arm rest. I have a general and very basic idea of how to do this but I want to make sure. I'm going to be using the original metal piece for the bow and from there down use Masonite. I want to do thin padding on the whole thing. If someone could explain what I should make the flames out of and how I should put the vinyl on it I would greatly appreciate it

Congratulations you have made it to the end of this post

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 07:04 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Heres a quick search that yielded a couple posts that might help.

http://hotrodders.com/search.php?s=&...der=descending
Old 06-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Krist, yours wouldn't locate a thread.

60Buickrod, try these and see if they help:
http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php...r+panel+flames

Dutch
Old 06-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Super simple if you know what you are doing. if you dont want to sew you can use a glue down process. I prefer a combination but it depends on what you are trying to do.

Glue method only: The key is layers. You need to decide on the design you want and then the section (how deep and high you want each layer) This will depend on the door edges and interface with the seat and dash. You start with the lowest layer that is the base panel and then the highest layer closest to set and body. Each layer can be done out of simple insullation boards for housing (pink normally). I usually sand the edges to make them smooth and tapered to suit the design. Materials dont make 90% complex contours without some practise and forgiving material (lots of stretch). Use contact cement (for formica) to put them together. You can make the flame high or low depending on the design you want. then working from the lowest point on a recessed design or highest point from a proud designs work from the the most complex area out.

If you need more information let me know
Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 AM

Last journal entry: Flamethrower trial
Last photo:

The flames are going to be very simple. My car has a vent window crank, window crank and the arm rest, and I'm going to do single layer flames coming off of them about 3-5". I've got a picture of it somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.