Doing T Tops - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Doing T Tops

I have a 93 mustang notchback. i have wanted a t top car for a long time now, and i was thinkin that i should just make my notch a t top car. i could get a hatch that already has t tops, but i love my notch and i want it to be different. just wondering if anyone has done this who could give me some tips. also i can get a set of used t tops of a 85 hatch, but is there any companies that make new ones, like replacements for the older mustangs. i figured i could make those work. i have been doin some research, but all i can find is the weatherstripping sets for them, not the actual t tops. thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
You asked for opinions on how TO do it, I have an opinion on NOT doing it. I have to say, these T tops seldom work well. It is not IF they will leak water, it is "how much" will they leak.

I have a convertible, same thing.

I say leave it alone, but if you can put up with some issues, they would be cool.

Brian
Old 02-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

RE:Doing t tops

Hi as for doing t tops in your car,your car wasen't design for them, so make sure you add some strenght to the frame rails, as you are going to be cuttng alot of the centre support out. TROY
Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

There are a few factory built fox body t-top coupes out there but they are rare. 5.0 magazine has one for a project car. If you really want to do it I'm sure you could transfer a modified roof section from a hatchback car but everything would have to line up perfectly (i.e doors). The roof is probably almost identical from the windshield to just behind the doors. They are the same doors on both cars (right?). Caution, If you screw up your coupe won't be worth squat. That said if you have the skills it would probably turn out really nice.

Here's one for you. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...notchback.html
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What you do is go to car-part.com and order a complete roof clip from one of the recyclers then cut off your existing top and weld in the new one..Pretty much a standard auto body repair deal if one shows up with a mashed in roof..check the contours of the clip you get to see that it matches the existing roof line as there were several years of Fox bodies that had the t-top..

The other thing to look at is your doors..some of those had a window frame on the doors and some of them had the hardtop type doors so you need to look at that as well..If yours has the frames around the windows you will need to change the doors as well..

Now I have not one of those but this is the way I would go about it if one of those came over here..

Good luck hope it works out for you..

Sam
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Thats right the door frame will get in the way. Duh! I'll bet the glass would be totally different so you may need to get doors and glass off of a ragtop or t-top as well as the roof section.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM

i got a friend with a t top hatch and he has an extra set of t tops. i was going to use his car as the basis for how i was goin to do my cuts, and check out the bracing on the roof to see how ford kept the strength. i was plannin on runnin some beefy subframe connectors to keep the body straight and then weld in the bracing on the roof. as far as the doors go they would have to be changed but i can get a set of vert doors relatively cheap. so i was figuring id have to strengthen the frame cut the roof start small and work my way out so i dont screw up, i actually have a shell of a notch that were going to be junkin soon so i do have a practice car. truthfully id rather cut this roof and then if i screw it up then get a new roof to weld in, instead of doing it from the start. thanks for the imput guys im still not dead set on doing it cause im trying to have my car out for summer and that would put a big squeeze for time.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

If you just cut out the existing roof you are going to have to fabricate landings for the removable panels, fabricate weather stripping, and make it all blend real nice. Ican't see how tha would be easier than replacing the whole roof section. A t-top roof would have a different substructure than you full roof. I think you would be way better off swapping roofs. I'll bet you could do the bodywork in a weekend.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I removed a t-top roof on a 84 camaro and put a non-t-top roof on a camaro In 1/2 day,No body work,But all welded up.I cut it half way down the windshield post,Then I cut it between the door glass in the back glass,about half way down,Real easy on a 84 camaro,
Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM

very true doesnt seem like that bad of a job, just most of the t top cars were hatches not notches im just wondering how must different the roofs are other then the very end of it. id have to blend the roof in the whole back section. thats a lot of welding and grinding

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.