Hot Rod Forum banner

Dolphin 5" Quad gauge pin-out/harness colors

13K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jim_Hbar 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the board and I'm in the process of wiring and final assembly of my 47/52 Chev P/U. The problem is, I've had the Dolphin gauges for a few years now, and have misplaced the information on "which wire does what". :(

The quad gauge has a 6 pin connector, and the connector has the following wires, when looking at the back of the gauge:

Top row ---- Red / Yellow / Black
Bottom row --Green / Blue / White

I've attempted to deduce which function the wires feed (assuming black is ground), and have determined that yellow is for the gauge lights. Most/all of the gauges respond when any of the other wires are fed 12V.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance.

Jim

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

Power, Dim, Ground

Sender, sender, sender..

If you force fed the senders with 12 volts, chances are they (gauge or sender, or both) are now destroyed..

Sender systems operate on a resistance potential to reference ground..It gets that through the sender, which is nothing more than a Variable Resistor to ground..connected through a Bimetallic strip, via mechanical linkage.

As it moves up or down the variable resistor the value changes, and so does the amount of ground the Gauge reads on It's bimetallic strip which curls with heat/cool cycles, which in turn is connected to an index pointer.

Rarely is power used for this function...

Doc :pimp:

#3 ·
Thanks Doc.

As I finished posting and went back to the shop, the light came on, :D and I remembered that that the "senders" actually "sink" the gauge current. :rolleyes: Once that fact was remembered, the actual testing was self evident.. I only had to assume that the Red was the power wire, and I grounded each of the sensor wires through the temp sender. No green smoke leaked out, and we were back in production mode. Sometimes ones education comes in handy! :pimp:

Jim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.