Hot Rod Forum banner

Dominator review thread

42K views 106 replies 22 participants last post by  Dominator2lol 
#1 ·
Well, I just tried this technology for the first time. This is without viewing the DVD, using a PDR light or anything. I just got a used Honda fender, put a dent in it, and went at it with a least aggressive Dominator "head".

VERY interesting guys, VERY interesting. It "walks" the metal with amazingly control. I see very good things with this tool.

By the way, the mandrel needed can be found a "Glit/Gemtex" (click here) under the "Trim-Kut" line. I am not sure as I type this what size but I removed the grinding disc off mine and screwed on the Dominator Head. It is way to short for my liking but appears to work just fine.

I will post more when more time is spent with it.

Brian

#52 ·
MARTINSR said:
Watch his video at that link you provided, no doubt about it, it is DARN interesting!

Brian
I watched the video, it seemed to have a few advantages over the standard bar PDR, but it did leave a lot of unanswered questions about practical applications of this 20,000 RPM device.

How big is this device, it looked a little cumbersome to use, and does it have to be at a certain angle to use properly, or can it swivel and work at all angles from a 90 degree to 180 degree entry point, and how thick is the shaft..?

I did see a few applications were it might be pretty handy, but I think I would need to demo this product before spending 2k on one.

#53 ·
It is VERY clumbersome and VERY limited in my opinion. HOWEVER, there are many applications I think it is more useful simply because it doesn't require "leverage" that the typical PDR tool requires.

But honestly, like any other tool in your box, it would have advantages and disadvanages. It is most certainly not the answer to all your PDR needs, that is for sure.

Brian

#55 ·
Just a reminder that business urls can't be posted by those affiliated with the mentioned businesses, per our business posting guidelines. However, you can put your biz url in your user profile, and invite readers to visit your profile for a link to your site.

Nevertheless, thanks for the update, and for including us in the dialogue about this intriguing product. The website looks good, and I've added it to the Garage-Tools category of our Knowledge Base. I also just checked out your blog. I hope you're exploring other revenue models besides ultimately charging for access to your vids. You might find that, because of the low overhead of publishing videos online, it's often more profitable just to give them away for free, and profit from the resulting increased product sales.

#56 ·
Setting The Record Straight!

OK......................... for the last time!!!
If you buy a Dominator you CAN'T THROW AWAY ALL YOUR OTHER TOOLS!!!!
you don't have a tool in your tool box that can DO IT ALL ,..... and if you buy a DOMINATOR...................................YOU STILL DON'T!!!
NEXT... I didn't see a PDR light in the video.... this tool is the FINISHING TOOL for LARGE DAMAGE! You would NOT take this tool to the bottom of a LARGE DENT the same way you wouldn't take a pointy PDR TOOL to the bottom of a large dent!
and lastly,................. THIS IS A SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT A TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MAJIC WAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have spent the last 20 years doing (EXCLUSIVELY) LARGE damage PDR!! ON A RETAIL LEVEL!!! No DEALERSHIPS, NO HAIL DAMAGE, BUT NON STOP LARGE DAMAGE PDR!!! Regardless weather the panel needed to be painted OR NOT!
I use hydraulics (with 'carpet blocks), Infratech heating lamps, my OWE patented GLUE SYSTEM, the Dominator, PDR TOOLS, and yes............. on that rare (very rare) occasion, I've even been caught with a 'two part' putty, (Mirror Glaze)!

#57 ·
The System!!

If you don't have the afore mentioned items (AMONG A TON OF OTHERS)you simply CAN'T do LARGE DAMAGE PDR! On Charging for the video training....
HOW MANY RIP OFF'S OUT THERE HAVE BEEN CHARGING YOU GUYS $5,K $10K) FOR A WEEK OF TRAINING AT THERE LOCATIONS@#@$#@$ ONLY TO SET YOU UP ON A 'HOOD STAND' (in front of the perfect small round dent) show you basics, and at the end of the week, tell you, "well now you got it"! "the rest is practice"! WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!!
You can't learn what has taken me 20 years of pushing metal with a 'knife point', in a WEEK, or watching an hour long CD!!!! We are currently working on a COMPLETE 'video' training course from a 'STATE' VO_TECH SCHOOL that we'll be teaching at, and then transferring to the web via our website and iTunes University.... This is unprecedented in our industry! NOT A STATIC C/D,... But a NEVER ENDING, (INTERACTIVE) Training site! From the 'rookie' to the advanced Pro PDR guy, or Bodyman. It will be free in the beginning,(as we build our library), but eventually it WILL be a paid for training site... Why should I GIVE AWAY what has taken me 20 years to acquire? I'm PISSED!!!! I am SOOO tired of the HARD HEADED BODYMAN THAT YOU SIMPLY CAN'T GET THOUGH TO, NO MATTER WHAT!#!@#%@
You know what? The next time you standing there with 'bondo dust' all over you think of ME! Or the next time your cutting off a PERFECTLY GOOD door or Quarter Panel, think of ME! :smash:

#59 ·
Well Dominator (nice name).... you might want to freshen up your communication skills a little. Using all capital letters is considered yelling. Using too much punctuation does not get your point across any better than simply typing what you have to say.

To answer your question, I don't know why you should give away what has taken you 20 years to learn, and I don't care whether you do or not. I regularly share online what I have learned in the last 30+ years without any expectation of making money. Brian does the same. So do countless others.

Your sales pitch sounds like Mr. Shamwow or something. A major turn-off. The kind of stuff I either mute, or change channels to get away from.

I hope you are successful in your business, but please tone down the aggressive sales pitch.

John

#60 ·
This is so funny, his posts DO show his personality! I said it in the very first posts on this subject, that he sounded like high school cheerleader!

It gets on your nerves that's for sure!

Brian

#62 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
Wouldnt that cause the back of the fender to rust if it wasnt coated with something after the repair?
Shane

Like any PDR that requires pushing the metal out, YES. This is actually why it is not authorized by Toyota for a car under warranty.

Brian

#63 ·
MARTINSR said:
Like any PDR that requires pushing the metal out, YES. This is actually why it is not authorized by Toyota for a car under warranty.

Brian
I live in the rust belt,so I have to constantally think about that kind of thing.I've got a rustfree bed for my old 85 Chevy,but It has some dents that I have to get rid of. For a relative beginner would you reccomend something like this, or just stick to hammer & dolly , and studwelder/slide hammer.
Shane

#64 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
I live in the rust belt,so I have to constantally think about that kind of thing.I've got a rustfree bed for my old 85 Chevy,but It has some dents that I have to get rid of. For a relative beginner would you reccomend something like this, or just stick to hammer & dolly , and studwelder/slide hammer.
Shane
Just do what is needed and then spray some protection on the back. Underseal, cavity wax, or even primer and paint if there is enough room, there are a number of options.

Brian

#65 ·
Lol, Lol, Lol

SHAMWOW.LOL! Hey..... I AM YELLING!!!! You know how frustrating it is to NON STOP meet body shop guys (like you), who you simply will NEVER get it, no matter what ?!
This ain't no TRICK, or GEMIC! What it IS, is so advanced the LARGE portion of body-men out there (like you) will probably NEVER get it!! AND THAT'S A SHAME! And why? Cause their stuck in the same ole, same ole, rut EVERY DAY!!! They get to work, and fight the never ending battle of, 'trying to get as many hours out this week as they can.... After I learned PDR in 89' I have worked NON STOP on making the PROCESS better! Not trying to get the work out as fast as I could... I knew that as I advanced the 'SYSTEM', the speed would come,
ps.... and it did.
You know that guy that does MAD MONEY? Tune in to my 'blog' soon....
I'm gonna 'spoof' that guy, cause that's EXACTLY how I feel!
Shamwow... have you even been to my blog and heard the discussion on what this is??? I'ld bet not... hey this is my last post, and you know what? The next time you find yourself (covered in bondo dust) and looking at a dent, thinking "I wonder IF a suction cup could pull that out? or, What IF there was a glue system strong enough to pull metal without turning loose, or a tool that spins so fast it CAN move metal?..........................naaaa gime me that grinder........... SHAMWOW signing off.... LOL....LOL

#66 ·
And to give Mr Dominator a break, this thing DOES work. I want to make something clear, he was nice enough to give me those "heads" and a dvd, though the DVD didn't work! It was a first run copy I assume and it wasn't finalized or something. Anyway, as he points out I don't have a lamp or a reflector and I am NOT trying to fix the dent in my video. That was just a quick look at what it was. I don't want anyone to think that it is a joke, the damn thing works.

As far as your average bodyman learning it, it ain't going to happen anymore than any other PDR method. PDR and regular body repair are two different things, I worked for a while and still try with the PDR and it is a whole different animal. I am not saying you can't do it, but it takes a lot of practice. Time that I just don't have.

But this tool is interesting at the very least, it is very interesting.

Brian

#67 ·
" I don't want anyone to think that it is a joke, the damn thing works. "

Until they successfully address the noise issue it's a non-starter. The noise level is loud enough to actually make it a safety issue for techs, an aggravation for customers and office staff and a major complaint for neighbors. It's a dead horse until they fix the noise level.

"As far as your average bodyman learning it, it ain't going to happen anymore than any other PDR method. PDR and regular body repair are two different things, I worked for a while and still try with the PDR and it is a whole different animal. I am not saying you can't do it, but it takes a lot of practice. Time that I just don't have."

New construction methods and materials make it almost mandatory to learn PDR methods, they're too damn handy to ignore. Find the time and practice, it's well worth it. :thumbup:

#68 ·
Dominator2 said:
SHAMWOW.LOL! Hey..... I AM YELLING!!!! You know how frustrating it is to NON STOP meet body shop guys (like you), who you simply will NEVER get it, no matter what ?!
This ain't no TRICK, or GEMIC! What it IS, is so advanced the LARGE portion of body-men out there (like you) will probably NEVER get it!! AND THAT'S A SHAME! And why? Cause their stuck in the same ole, same ole, rut EVERY DAY!!! They get to work, and fight the never ending battle of, 'trying to get as many hours out this week as they can.... After I learned PDR in 89' I have worked NON STOP on making the PROCESS better! Not trying to get the work out as fast as I could... I knew that as I advanced the 'SYSTEM', the speed would come,
ps.... and it did.
You know that guy that does MAD MONEY? Tune in to my 'blog' soon....
I'm gonna 'spoof' that guy, cause that's EXACTLY how I feel!
Shamwow... have you even been to my blog and heard the discussion on what this is??? I'ld bet not... hey this is my last post, and you know what? The next time you find yourself (covered in bondo dust) and looking at a dent, thinking "I wonder IF a suction cup could pull that out? or, What IF there was a glue system strong enough to pull metal without turning loose, or a tool that spins so fast it CAN move metal?..........................naaaa gime me that grinder........... SHAMWOW signing off.... LOL....LOL
I am not a body shop guy.. haven't used any filler in well over a decade. I am a metal shaper. I teach filler-free dent repair methods, and metal shaping. I'm always interested in tools and techniques, not hype. Your presentation has both. The mad money guy is a total dweeb. A comedian named Jon Stewart eviscerated him with the truth about his greedy pimping. I would not model my presentation off of him. But then I would not act like you either... so go for it! Loud and vulgar people can sometimes be extremely successful : ) Your rotary hammer seems like a good idea for some types of work, but calling it so far advanced that a body guy won't ever get it is pure hype. The concept is simple to understand, even for a metal shaper : )

John

#70 ·
This tool is garbage

I own this dominator2 tool and it is garbage. Aside from the tool being loud it does not work as they show, it creates additional damage to panels. there is a video on youtube with them attempting a roof repair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKjROKliJ8s&feature=related
He is struggling with the glue method then all of a sudden the car is outside completely repaired... looks a different color compared to the original work too lol. Its a waste and hope no one else gets suckered into buying this tool.

#72 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here I Go Again!

:boxing: I can't hardly resist... the bible says, "don't cast your pearls amongst swine...
but I hope the good Lord forgives me, cause I just can't resist!!!!
1. Mr. (who ever you are).... Look on the video that you're referring, and look to the front drivers side of the roof... you'll notice a 'RUST' spot... If you look at the finished roof panel, and (you look good enough) you'll still see the 'rust spot' touched up... WHAT ABOUT ALL THE OTHER VIDEOS ON THE WEBSITE?!?!
2. You bought a Dominator?? Then call me! You would have HAD to purchase through me or Auto Body Tool Mart and in either way you would have access to me. My # is ***-***-**** Show a photo of your kit!
3. I will video tape a 2' crease being removed from a hood TODAY!! WITH YOUR NAME ON IT IN UNDER 5 MINUTES AND POST IT ON MY SIGHT AND YOUTUBE!!!! What name? I'll mark 'on' the panel (next to the crease) THAT name and POST the video TODAY~
4. The tool IS loud...lol... but we're now working with 'plastic heads' that reduce the noise considerably... and P.S. if your using the Dominator more than a few minutes your not using it correctly... :p

#73 · (Edited by Moderator)
BRIEFLY DESCRIBED: The Dominator2 is an 'air tool', that is PART of a SYSTEM that I invented. I am a 20 year PDR Tec, and life long bodyshop tech. This SYSTEM has actually (4) components.
1. Hydraulics used with 'carpet blocks' for pushing out LARGE collision type damages (www.************.com go to videos and then to 'how to make a carpet block'.
2.The pneumatics is used with large suction cups on a heavy slide hammer.
3. The GLUE SYSTEM is the KEY factor in removing large damage. Our glue system has three different types of heads. All of which are perforated. Once the pads are glued to the vehicle the glue penetrates through the pad and changes the physics of how strong glue can hold. The pads can then be lifted via a leverage bar, or slide hammer. Multiple pads can be pulled 'simultaneously' for pulling large damages.
4. THEN the LAST part of the dent is then FINISHED via paintless dent repair or the Dominator. The dominator Has interchangeable heads made of stainless steel that spin at 20,000 RPM taping the backside of the dent moving the metal up incrementally.

#74 ·
That sounds good, post the video. This one with the roof looks like a scam to me, it is just my opinion from the information I have, which is that video. The video looks to be faked, sorry, that is how I feel.

Brian

#75 ·
Ok!!

I'm going to do it RIGHT NOW! We're going to do a CREASE 2' LONG. Video running NON stop.... no breaks no transitions, no nothing. I'll have it on my site by 3pm today. I'll try to figure out how to 'post it' to THIS blog, but if I'm unable go to dominatemetal.com - video gallery- I'll call the video, 'To My Hot Rod friends'! Later, the Dominator!
ps. If this other guy is a real customer, why would he have not returned the kit? There is a no questions asked 30 day return policy. Auto Body Tool Mart sells the heck out of my kits, and NEVER do we get a return from them! I've been with them for over 2 1/2 years. There one (if not THE) largest tool distributor in the US. Their magazine goes to virtually every body shop in the country, and they're 'online site' is universal. They HAVE to guarantee their products, and warrantee them. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.