Hot Rod Forum banner

Dominator review thread

42K views 106 replies 22 participants last post by  Dominator2lol 
#1 ·
Well, I just tried this technology for the first time. This is without viewing the DVD, using a PDR light or anything. I just got a used Honda fender, put a dent in it, and went at it with a least aggressive Dominator "head".

VERY interesting guys, VERY interesting. It "walks" the metal with amazingly control. I see very good things with this tool.

By the way, the mandrel needed can be found a "Glit/Gemtex" (click here) under the "Trim-Kut" line. I am not sure as I type this what size but I removed the grinding disc off mine and screwed on the Dominator Head. It is way to short for my liking but appears to work just fine.

I will post more when more time is spent with it.

Brian

#77 ·
tutorial

you would think afterspending 2gran on this waste it would come with some detailed instructions instead of some photocopied black and white pages.
There are definitely better tools out there that are quiter, faster and dont require you to cut off the underside of a hood to repair it.
my 2 cents on this anyways...
well more like $2000.02
Good luck to anyone wanting to try this.
maybe he can come to your shop and do a demo he probably would only charge like 1gran a day lol.

edit- and about these plastic heads that are now in use what about the ppl who bought the product when they were not available us suckers got to come out with more money now right.. and they probably wear out fast as hell too.
I stand by my position. Dominator2 LOL

#78 · (Edited)
I know now what happened to my Star Wars soundtrack on vinyl. Wasn't that song being played on the video the Cantina scene from Star Wars? I will give him credit though, before this thread took a turn for the worse, it appears Brian was having some luck with this thing doing what it was made to do, even without the instructional video working.

#79 ·
Hi Brian, Yes it's me. Darryl Domino

I've recorded the video today, and I'm preparing it For the website right now. Whoever dominated2LOL is, for whatever reason appears to be hiding his identity. I say again, if you didn't like the tool you had 30 days in which to return it to us! Why didn't you do so? firstAnd if you're really an owner of the tool, why haven't you contacted us for further direction in its use? The video I'm posting on my site tonight speaks for itself! What else can I do? Come to your house and fix the vehicle for you? Our company stands behind our products 100%. If you go to my website there was a video sent to us recently from the Russians! They purchase numerous dominator kits and the video that they sent shows them using the dominator on a massive dent. This is an unsolicited video and actually we have no idea who it is that sent it. There's another video from, (I believe it's Argentina) again using the dominator to repair heavy damage. There's no reason that these customers would be sending this video unless the tool works. I will post a link to the video within the next 30 min

#80 ·
You know what instructions?

You'ld be the first bodymen I ever knew to read instructions! we have been for quite a while and are still working on training videos. It is common knowledge that most people will learn far better watching something than reading about it. Implementation of offering these training videos online is a large task. We are in the final stretch for delivering these training videos to our Internet site.

#82 ·
here's your high speed video

Just a quick video today, to one last time 'tease' you guys! I know that even if this tool WAS a magic wand there will ALWAYS be the 'nay sayer' out there, to ridicule, and belittle. The character that claims he purchased a Dominator, is just the kind of guy that should never get in the dent business to begin with. I would bet a 'dollar to a do-nut' to know his REAL skill level and motivations. Tomorrow I'll do a final video of the area to perhaps give a better look. Nevertheless, good luck to you all, and HAD-IOUS! Ps. this hood has been used for over 3 months as a 'demo and practice' hood.

the video url is:http://gallery.me.com/dominator2#101205

#83 ·
Dominator2 Are you still Darryl? When this thread started Dominator2 was Darryl the guy I spoke with at Nace, who are you now?

Brian

#84 ·
Dominator2 said:
Ps. this hood has been used for over 3 months as a 'demo and practice' hood.
Yes cause clearly chopping off the underside of a hood to do a demonstration is the same as working on a customer's hood. Bottom line is I should have invested better into something else, and about your other comment about if your using this tool more than 5 minutes then your doing something something wrong. How long did you take YOU to do that hood?

Peace out going to mix some body filler and do some real body work that I dont need to convince people that its real.

#85 ·
I'm sorry Dominator who ever you are, that video isn't very convincing. I understand it can do what you just did in that video, I believe beyond any doubt it can do what you just did and much more. But that is a demo hood with all the reinforcement removed, not a good "real life" example. Not only that, but it isn't a customers car where you have to get near perfect. I couldn't tell what was the crease and what was previous damage, the hood is a mess covered with dents and buckles, the CREASE you put in is mostly gone but it wasn't to the level of what I like to see (not see) when I present the finished product to a customer.

That crease is a HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES from the caved in roof in the other video. So seeing the removal of the crease is like seeing a kids peddle car ride on the side walk compared to that top fuel dragster dent on the roof shaking the ground under your feet on the way to a four second run.

Brian

#87 ·
MARTINSR said:
Does everyone else see a sped up video like I do?

Brian
Yea its fast which is why I asked how long it took to do the repair (not talking about the teardown on the bottom of the hood or anything) He had mentioned before "... and P.S. if your using the Dominator more than a few minutes your not using it correctly... " Looked to me like it was longer than a few minutes.

#89 ·
Ok boys.... the gig's up!! I'm busted!!!

Ok boys.... the gig's up!! I'm busted!!! You've all figured it out... couldn't slip this hockus pockus past you guys!
I did this last video by myself within an hour, and posted it with the belief you couldn't deny what you're seeing if your name was on it! FAT CHANCE...
Oh,..... " the hood has other dents on it!"...
"Wasn't the speed cranked up"?,
uh... "didn't he cut the supports out and an how long did it really take"?!
"It's too expensive"....
"Isn't it too loud"..., uh bla, bla, bla...
I've shown you a tool that moves metal faster and better than anything you've ever seen, and some of you 20, 30, year techs this is all you got to say........
Go back to your bondo, $22. gal... bondo spreaders $5 a pack alittle sand paper,........................ good luck fellas...... :welcome:

#91 ·
MARTINSR said:
Show a video of that roof being done, THAT I want to see!

Brian

lol yea show the rest of the video on that roof. You mentioned the rust spot was "touched up".. you mean when they repainted the roof they didnt repair the rust and painted over it lol.
Face it you havent convinced anyone but good luck selling more products to Russia lol

#92 ·
Dominator2 said:
You'ld be the first bodymen I ever knew to read instructions! .
HAHAHHA I just read this, this is hilarious.
So in comparison to your comment. Just because I can drive a car if I buy a new car I shouldnt read the manual right....
Sorry that I am not as gifted as you are and unable to perform operation with new tools/equipment without the need to read instructions..

#93 ·
Darryl, first off, thank you for coming here and joining this thread. It isn't easy to take the criticism you have from us and keep coming back.
These repairs you have posted here, the roof, and the Audi quarter are nothing short of remarkable. There is a couple of things that I think you need to know, everyone here at the hotrodders.com forum are looking at perfection as a rule. We are looking at the closest thing to perfection. I don't think either repair would have met the standards of most of the guys here, there are still waves and flaws in both those repairs, they are minor compared to what they started with, but there are flaws just the same. These flaws wouldn't be acceptable to most of us on anything we do. Personally I know there are times when they would be, on my daily driver, I would accept these flaws and spend the time it takes to make it perfect on my passion project in the garage, not on my daily beater. But that is an exception, most of us wouldn't accept anything like that repair on the Audi.

That being said, they are still REMARKABLE repairs.

But saying "this is the kind of thing the Dominator can do" is seriously misleading. It is like throwing a pile of clay and brass on the ground next to this Degas.......

And saying "This is the kind of thing this clay and brass can do".

You are selling your skills way to short. If you go around selling these tools the way you do you are going to have a LOT of pissed off customers. You make it sound like the TOOL is the one doing the work.

That Audi for instance, after all that time below the moulding it is still stretched out and will need serious repair, not just "blocking" to be made perfect. And no matter what you do you are STILL going to need to take all the mouldings and rear bumper, tail light door handle, mirror and all the other things to paint the quarter and blend the door if you want to do a quality repair!

I may own an english wheel, and shot bag and mallets and shrinker and stretcher and pneumatic planishing hammers (which I do) but I sure as heck can't do the work that many members of this site do with the exact same tools! If I were to sell these sheet metal forming tools for a living I wouldn't be telling people "All you need are these tools and you can make bodies from scratch" and show pictures of work that some of these guys can do, because many people who bought the tools are never going to reach the level some guys on this forum are going to reach. You may not be saying this out right, but you ARE saying that your tools do these repairs, when in actuality YOU are doing these repairs.

You need to find some marketing firm who can sell this tool for you and you need to just sit back and watch the business grow, if it indeed is the tool you say it is.

You may think all your passion for the tool is going to sell it, but it may just back fire and you end up with responses like you are getting here from a guy who says he bought one. I don't know if Dominator2LOL has bought one, he should show a photo of it with this threads name on a piece of paper to prove he really has it. But honestly, if you are selling these tools with the hype you show here and I know you do because I met you at SEMA (don't know why you don't respond to my question asking you this) and you are like the screaming Cheerleader at a school football game. You scream and cheer even though your team is losing 37-3.

Brian

#96 ·
MARTINSR said:
Thanks, what training have you received to use the tool?

Brian
I have some experience with PDR. Being that no instructions came with the tool its a matter of practicing and some luck. I havent had any luck with the dominators, the glue system is ok and the suction cups are real nice that much I would say about the tool but if I know then what I know now I wouldnt have invested in it. I was so impressed with the video on autobody toolmart that I thought this was amazing. Upon receiving it and first attempting to use it.. I was almost kicked out my shop for the amount of noise.

#97 ·
Dominator2lol said:
I was so impressed with the video on autobody toolmart that I thought this was amazing. Upon receiving it and first attempting to use it.. I was almost kicked out my shop for the amount of noise.
And this is the warning I give Darryl, he needs to cut back on the sizzle and start selling the steak. He is pumping this up like the Democrats pumped up Obama. It can be a great tool and not live up to the hype on the videos and people are disappointed.

Have you used other glue systems? I am wondering what is better about it, he says it's "Patented" and I am curious what is different. I mean, there is only so much you can do with glue, and leverage it looks just like one we had at work (someone stole it).

Brian

#98 ·
MARTINSR said:
And this is the warning I give Darryl, he needs to cut back on the sizzle and start selling the steak. He is pumping this up like the Democrats pumped up Obama. It can be a great tool and not live up to the hype on the videos and people are disappointed.

Have you used other glue systems? I am wondering what is better about it, he says it's "Patented" and I am curious what is different. I mean, there is only so much you can do with glue, and leverage it looks just like one we had at work (someone stole it).

Brian
The glue system is ok the glue does get on there pretty good. I would like to see a mini suction cup to work with the suction cup setup that would be interesting. Im not denying that the glue or the suction cup works and can help make a repair better. The dominators themselves is what I disagree with. Maybe he should do a step by step video on how to evaluate a dent and how to select the right head for the tool, then show the tool being used from the back end of a dent. But again this is my opinion, its all about details. Dont expect to show videos on how amazing this product is then have no one able to duplicate the same results.

#100 ·
Thank you guys

I order supplies at my shop from autobodytoolmart and i saw this dent dominator 2 and was impressed with the way it worked so I looked up some youtube videos and stuff of it which it shows to be an amazing revolutionary tool. I was on the verge of buying two of the big kits for my shop but something told me do a google search on customer feedback. Then I found you guys. Not happy anymore :( cause it seems this is a hoax of sort. Well just wanted to come on to say thank you all for saving me about 4 gran!

Take care

#101 ·
Not for sale!

Well guys... This really will be my last response. Your points well taken...
The tool is no longer for sale! You killed it!!! Congratulations! :welcome:
Yea right!! All kidding aside, the training to this technology has always been the 'Akillies Heal'... Soooo....you can no longer buy the tool 'out right'! (as of the end of Feb 2011'. Now you can only purchase a 'licensing agreement' to use the tool/system. This requires a minimum of (3) days trainning at our facility to learn the use of the tool, and the basics of PDR. We'll be training only on LARGE DAMAGE!
Refering back to (2) issues previously mentioned.
1. The issue that somehow I've EVER mislead ANYONE that the Dominator tool is some magic wand is ludicrous. It's tool that is PART of the 'SYSTEM'. (an essential part) it,s the 'finish tool' to complete larger damage repairs.
2. And Brian... You speak of this ultimate quality that many of you guys wouldn't accept that this technology provides!!! YOUR MISSING THE WHOLE POINT OF WHAT THIS IS!!! If I take out a giant dent on your quarter panel that the conventional Bodyshop would be cutting off, I'm not tearing the integrity of the vehicle apart, I'm not loading the repair up with a bunch of bond'. The quality of the job starts with the quality of the sheet metal repair, and we're taking that to the ULTIMATE LEVEL! We're using PDR lights to get the metal back to (many times) a perfect level. If the final level of repair on a large dent is NOT perfect, the customer THEN has the OPTION to 'paint'. In which case you MAY need a 'two-part' putty to FINISH the repair. This is ALL about the ULTIMATE pair. FASTER, CHEAPER, AND BETTER, than conventional repairs. Don't believe me? Pony up the $ purchase a license agreement, come to Birmingham, do the training , and if not 100% THRILLED, I'll give you back ALL of your $, leave the tool behind, and all you wasted was your time. (you should know if this real in the first hours of being here). So-long!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.