Hot Rod Forum banner

Dominator review thread

42K views 106 replies 22 participants last post by  Dominator2lol 
#1 ·
Well, I just tried this technology for the first time. This is without viewing the DVD, using a PDR light or anything. I just got a used Honda fender, put a dent in it, and went at it with a least aggressive Dominator "head".

VERY interesting guys, VERY interesting. It "walks" the metal with amazingly control. I see very good things with this tool.

By the way, the mandrel needed can be found a "Glit/Gemtex" (click here) under the "Trim-Kut" line. I am not sure as I type this what size but I removed the grinding disc off mine and screwed on the Dominator Head. It is way to short for my liking but appears to work just fine.

I will post more when more time is spent with it.

Brian

#3 ·
Blats, foiled again! The darn DVD doesn't appear to have been finalized so I can't view it! DARRYL HELP!! :) I'll give him a call.

Brian

#5 ·
It is a DVD-RW disc and that should view thru any DVD player I would think. I have two, one that views -R fine, I know that, the other records and views +R I know that, and it showed "UNKNOWN DISC" when put in either one. I didn't even try my computer being it is a piece of crap and being it says DVD on it. But I will give it a try.

Brian

#7 ·
Hey Brian.
If you can't get the DVD to work. Email your address to me again, and I'll get you another one out 'over night'. On using the tool. Compare this tool to the Paintless Dent Repair process. You would use this tool similar to using a PDR tool. You would'nt take the Dominator to a big 'deep crash'. What you would do, is push most of the dent out with what ever means possible, portapower,etc. then you would finish the dent with the Dominator. It is unbeliveably accurate. I can litterally put the 'orange peel' back in the surface of the paint! But, you do need a PDR light to be compatent with the tool. Try the most aggressive head on the edge of a door skin to 'roll' the metal over. Start, by hammering the edge around with just a hammer.,(no dolly) get it over as best you can, then put the Dominator to the remainder of the raised edge. It'll lay down as 'pretty as you please' with out damage to the other side of door. My final portotype comes in this am.
If it's 'up to snuff' then I give the final order to ship. So, what I'm saying is I will send you a tool, and a light! Report back on what you find, and if you don't like it, all I ask is that you send it back to me. :pimp:

#8 ·
You are the greatest Darryl. I sent you my address and can't wait to see what ever you send. I did see the "orange peel" comment. I can see how it can be much less than your typical "Orange peel" as well. That is one of the first things I noticed, it's "Blows" are microscopic! Very interesting indeed.

Brian

#9 ·
Hey Brian, I'll send that stuff as soon as I can. Things are pretty hectic, and if I do not have enough of the 'new' tools to go around, I'll send you one of the 'prototypes' the difference is the new tool is much quiter, and runs like a sewing machine, the older 'prototype' is a little bumpie, but it works. On the 'orange peel' issue. Depending on the speed the tool is working, the head your using, and the quality of the metal, you will see different things. ex. If you have the tool 'wide open' then it gets very percise. If your going slower it will move more metal. Takes alittle practice. :cool:

#10 ·
If you could send out another DVD that would be great. I find that if I can hit the right spot I can do wonders. I think I need to lighten up a little because if I am off the spot when I start I get a high spot. With a bar or awl I can see where I am much easier. I took a Honda fender last night and put some dents in it. With it on a rack so I have real good access, I could hit them dead on one after another. I got a few VERY close to paintless, but all would metal finish out nice.

The one issue I have with trying to keep it paintless, is burning the paint. What am I doing wrong?

Brian

#11 ·
Using the tool.

Brian. Your probably going at it way too hard. The tool will do the work so you don't have to 'bare down' on it. Also, rotate the tool in a circlar motion as your woring the dent, and lastly, you GOT TO have a PDR light. I am sending a 12 volt to you. IT'll work, but, to REALLY see, you need a good light. Get the tool going at top speed, and then slowly bring it up to the underside of the metal while your going in a cirular motion. Practice, by writting you name in the panel, keep doing it, then slowly start making it lighter, and lighter, till you can barely see your name being written. Once you can 'see' what your doing you got it! Good Luck :thumbup:

#13 ·
Darryl, I ALWAYS wear ear protection, even with just a DA or prolonged hammer and dolly. I do know how loud it is, the other guys in the shop told me. :)

I will work at practicing as you describe. I wasn't starting it at full speed prior to touching the panel. And the PDR light, yeah I have a feeling I am going to be getting me a full size after getting the hang of it with the little one. Remember, I am an old bodyman and the real PDR technqiues are not the usual for us. As you know PDR and "autobody" are really two different things. This is one of the reasons I WANT to be able to do it. I want to be able to do more than "just" bodywork.

Brian

#14 ·
Hey Brian. I'm 1 year older than you, but that's exactly what I'm trying to tell the guys out there. You need to have these PDR skills to do todays body work! I still use 'bondo'. BUT, about a gal. every 6 months! If you can learn these PDR type skills, you will cut down on materials substantially, about 1/2 the time, and NO BONDO in your repairs, I save doors, quarters,etc. and can do it in minutes and hours! WITH NO BONDO!!! Every body man out there needs to take a look at what I'm saying. Metal is soooo thin now days, if they took the time to look at this new system, I am convienced they would under stand this is not just PDR! You need to beable to WORK the metal, and with todays cars the 'art' of 'hammering, and dolling' is over. UNTIL NOW. The Dominator does the 'hammering and dolling', but you need to understand how to use the Paintless Dent Repair light, so, you can SEE what the metal is doing! Spend alittle more time on the body work, and a WHOLE LOT LESS TIME, Bondoing,Blending,cleaning up, inhaleing dust, and by the way did I mention NO BONDO! :mwink: Your 'reducing the size of the repair as you go. Not making it bigger! As soon as I can I will get that c/d and tool to you. I really wany you to get this new way of doing body work. I promise you will love it! :welcome:

#15 ·
I am with you Darryl, I know the metal I work with goes to hell pretty quickly when worked. You need a way to keep the working to a mininum. I hate to even spend much time with the tool until I get that light and DVD as to not pick up any bad habits. I KNOW how PDR and your typical bodyman skills are miles apart, I understand that. So I will play some with the things you sent and wait until I get the DVD and light before I go hog wild with it.

Brian

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Tool

Hey guys.
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you. I have been incredibly busy with the mess here in new Orleans.
also, I am leaving for Cologne Germany on the 5th for auto convention to demonstrate the Dominator. over the last six weeks I have been living in a FEMA trailer! Brian,one more time please email me your address. my e-mail is ******************* I will do my best to get you a dominator as soon as possible.be :rolleyes:

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm BAAAAAAAAACCKKK!!!!!!

Hey Guys. Any one still out there? I've been very busy! The tool is now ready for market, and we launched last month at the N.A.C.E. convention in LasVegas.. We 'stole the show'! The tool is available in a Large kit, 2 tool kit, and a small 'hand held' kit. And YES! It takes dents out of cars like nothing on the planet!!!!! . The website is being finished as we speak, but for future refrence, it is *****************. It's late so I'll check back with any of you who are still around alittle later. And I can't wait to prove this tool to any sceptics! Later.Dominator2 :welcome:

#25 ·
Darryl, maybe you should wait until you actually have your info on the web site and not just a template before you pass out the address. :rolleyes:

Brian

#26 ·
I've been wondering about this thing since it was first brought up over a year ago I guess. And staying with the conversation between everyone in the thread it's sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't mind trying one out here at home. Darryl, keep us posted when you get the website and store going I am very interested in seeing what this is all about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.