don"t buy from HF - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

don"t buy from HF

dont buy from HF all their stuff is crap If you do buy a jack from them be prepared to buy another in 6 months because that is about the average life span of most everyhting they sell......I am speaking from experience too I have had way to many things fail from them from jacks to powertools....you get what you pay for so be prepared to replace it...but if thats all the money you have and you need a jack you cant do much else but buy it(thats also speaking from experience)

oops that was suposed to be a reply to the Harbour Freight post.....any admins want to move it for me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I love H.F.....I know not to get complex items like jacks or other tools, but I buy all kinds of little stuff. I also bought a pretty complete line of the Central Pneumatic air tools. Even after being completely submerged by two floods when I worked in Philly they still work great! I have already been through a few sets of the pry bars and sledge hammers. But, when I can buy this stuff for pennies on the dollar it doesn't make me sad or mad to throw it away when I bust it up!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Unhappy

I bought a deluxe black floor jack from Costco. It has the foot pedal on it for quick raise. Used it about 20 times and now it won't hold anything up. Just weeps down. Lost the receipt.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

What does this have to do with engines?
Old 12-09-2003, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

The jack lifts the cars and trucks engines go in.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:46 PM
If you Can Dream it, You can D

Who in the ******* is H.F
Old 12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It's harbour freight company. I think you might be able to get a really good deal on marital aides there, Auto-Part.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by western star
I bought a deluxe black floor jack from Costco. It has the foot pedal on it for quick raise. Used it about 20 times and now it won't hold anything up. Just weeps down. Lost the receipt.
Bring the jack back to Costco, explain what happened and that you lost the receipt. They'll look in the computer to see what the lowest price they sold it for and will refund that price.
A similar thing happened to be on a power washer. The hose burst so I just wanted to replace the hose. They said to bring whole assembly in. They looked in the computer and refunded the exact price I paid. I went back to their shelves and bought a replacement which was $100 cheaper than what I paid
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have had the opposite experience with Harbor Freight. Sure some of their stuff is garbage - on their hack saw blades the teeth strip off instantly, I bought two reciprocating saws and the gears stripped almost immediately. However they are great about taking stuff back and making it good, no questions asked. I had the same bad luck with two Maikita electric grinders and they told me "sorry you eat them" (@ $70 each!!). The list of HF tools that I have that are great is VERY long. Air compressors, MANY air tools, grinders, floor jacks, hand tools, electric power tools, lathe, band saw, cordless drills, drill press, several spray guns, several pneumatic nail guns, power hacksaw, dust collection system, etc., etc., etc. Some are over 20 years old, see very abusive service and are still going strong. I had a birthday last week and got $170 worth of HF gift certificates!

Incidentally, my daughter has worked for Costco for 12 years and they have a no-questions-asked returns policy. If you don't like the weight of the shrink wrap on the product, take it back and they will refund or replace, even with a different product if the one you have is out of stock.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've got about half the h.f. tools as willys, I couldn't afford these tools any other way. No problems. All my bodywork tools are H.F. The floor jack is 10 years old, no problems. I like h.f. Dan
Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 PM

Whoever said you get what you paid for is right.
I recently bought a transmission/differential jack and a tri pod jack for use under my lift. Both are produced in China with poorly written instructions and very inferior fasteners. The fasteners are the first thing you need to replace if you buy HARBOR FREIGHT inferior quality products.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
www.s10v8.com

I absolutely love Harbor Freight!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You're right about the fasteners on some of the stuff. Worst I found was a set of left/right/straight cut tin snips I bought about 15 years ago. The pivot bolt on them sheared off just cutting 20ga steel! I replaced them with some grade 8 bolts and they have been going strong ever since!

I love the directions. I cashed in part of my $170 HF gift certificates this evening on one of their 2hp portable air compressors. I have been needing one to take to remote sites so I can use my HF pneumatic hammers on carpentry jobs (great hammers). Neat little compressor and is only $89 on sale. If you are needing a small compressor, go get one of these. It had a warning label on the power cord that reads;

"Attention

1. New air compressors must be poured oil before it starts!!!
2. When using air compressors, and when finding the oil surface go down to the place limited, it must be poured oil in time.
3. Air compressors lacking of oil will cause serious damage."

At least they have English spell checkers now so at least the spelling is correct. It is worth buying these Chinese tools just for gems like that!!

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 12-12-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

You guys got instructions???
Old 12-12-2003, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

HA, I just went thru that with HF's $99 underlift transmission jack(made in India). I loved the thing. Used it for holding the drain pan, R&Ring gas tanks etc. NEVER put anywhere near the 600lbs on it that it was rated for. All in all, I probably raised and lowered it maybe 20 times,and, last week it quit! Being about 6 months old, I contacted HF about it and recieved a reply: OUT OF WARRANTY! Offered me a rebuild kit for $11. Some things are good at HF.........and some are JUNK! The thing that I don't like is the price variations. I bought an auto darkening welding helmet for $120, and the box it was delivered in had another catalog with the same item for $70. They did give me a refund on the difference when I called them about it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.