Done with my welding :) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2002, 07:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Done with my welding :)

Hey Halloweenking and everyone else who offered up help with my welding , Thanks a lot !!

Im done with all my welding and it looks pretty dam good if i do say so myself

Im ready start my prep work so i can get this thing to the paint shop. Ill be doing the interior, engine compartment and trunk paint my self. Do you reccomend stripping all the paint then putting a coat of primer on ? The car will be sitting in my garage for a few months so i was wondering about moisture...

Is there any type of rust inhibitor or such that i need to use before i prime ?

One more thing ... If it were your car what kind of paint would you use... ( Im looking for a show quality paint job)

Im going to leave the outside paint to the professionals ... Theres a place close by called " Candy apple customs " Ive seen some of thier work and i was impressed ... How much cashola should i expect to pay for a good paint job ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Mav, glad to see you got the work done.

Now to answer your first question. You don't have to strip the paint, but depending on the condition of the paint and sheetmetal beneith as well as the thickness of the paint it might be a good idea. Its not needed, but if your going for a full out show vehicle it deffinatly won't hurt. Question two, is there surface rust or any rust in the areas you will be painting? If theres not, then after you strip the paint just use a good quality sealer, not primer, but a sealer. If there is rust, say on the trunk pan use Por15, and use it anywhere else theres sighns of rust after you strip the paint.

Now your third question has many variables such as how much do you want to spend and what kind of paint are you looking for? If it was me and I had the money I'd use a acrylic urethane enamel it holds up best, best show finish, but pretty $$$. your last question depends on exactly what you want, from mild to wild. it could be anywhere from $1200-10,000+ depending on exactly what you want.

HK
Old 09-02-2002, 07:07 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

HKing, I'm following you around the site!
Hey Mav, if you plan on keeping this car, strip it to see what you got. No surprises that way. If you just want to put color to it for a current nice driver, deal with the rust and shoot it!
Opinion: I use Omni two stage paint. I'm used to it and have had minimal problems. I wish someone would figure a way to put bug repelant in the paint. I always seem to get one kamikazee bug!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Sorry guys ... With two teenagers here you have to take a number to use the pc lol ...

The paint is in very good shape.. A few bubbles on the drip rails and a few bubbles around the weather stripping in the door and trunk but nothing major so far ...

My Budget (Wife) is tightening the coller on me so as far as finishing my project im looking at about $3500.00 max. I have everything i need as far as parts,Drive train, chrome, interior,Its just the matter of getting this thing ready to paint ...

I want to do as much prep work as i can so that ill have more cash to spend on my paint.Im just not sure what route to go ...

Should i simply sand and fix the dings ? Or should i go all out and strip everything ?

I plan on keeping the car for the long haul and im thinking about a black metal flake paint with purple ghost flames. Or as my budget (wife ) will allow white racing stripes ( similar to the ss chevelle)Or the stripes on the car pictured on my avatar...

The one thing i will require is the best guality paint job i can afford...

Ive seen posts about one stage and two stage paint and ive read up on them both. What should i ask when i talk to the paint man ? Is color sanding an option or is it the norm for single stage paint or for two stage for that matter ?

LOL im sorry guys for bombarding you with all these questions but you all know way more than me ... If you have any questions about running a 100 ton friction rig or driving pile or building bridges just holler ill be more than glad to help LOL ...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Mav, if I miss a question or two ask me again, my memory isn't very long, hehe

If you plan to paint the car black the bodywork will have to be perfect for the paint to look good. I say strip the car and redo all the bodywork and make it perfect, it will be long hard on the back and exstremely slow, but well worth it. A show quality paint job requires great prep/body work, exspecially iff your going to paint the car black. black paint shows every imperfection that the body has. Strip the car, do bodywork, seal it with a good quality sealer go over the bodywork numerous times until its perfect then prime and paint with a good quality BC/CC paint. Color sanding is just a step to smooth the surface of the finish.

Now if you want ghost flames you will be using a candy paint. Purple candy with a black base coat. Just to make sure look at the Ghost flame post in this forum, if the pictures are simular to what you want, for exspence reasons I'd go with the racing stripes. Candy is pretty exspensive and most shops charge substatially for a high quality candy job. If you have anymore questions let me know.

HK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.