Doner car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
scottyd's 51Prefect

Last journal entry: Exhaust Manifolds and Water Pump
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Doner car

I am rebuilding an 51 Ford Prefect and I need a doner car to take the engine,transmission,and rearend from I would like to use a small block chevy engine what would be a good doner car to ues so I can use the transmission and the rearend from the same car I would find a small block chevy in

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I seriously doubt a PERFECT donor car exists. The 51 Ford Perfect would require such a narrow rear end ... I know of NO V8 Chevrolet equipped vehicle with a rear end narrow enough. A V8 Monza might be the closest thing. But they have 4 lug wheels and the rears are not really known for their brute strength.

I suggest just finding a clapped out, rusty old V8 Chevrolet passenger vehicle ( big car, Malibu, V8 pickup ect ) and harvesting the V8 and Turbo 350 from it and then buying a narrow 9 inch Ford rear end.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM

Look at a s10 4/4 rear end its 4" shorter than the 2 wheel drive. That is what I ended up using in a 1935 Int. 1/2 ton and worked great.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM

i'm actually trying to rod an e93a aswell, do you get ford falcons in the us? may just be an aussie/kiwi thing, they are supposedly perfect as the body apparently drops straight on, i can't see this working but i'm told it does, you could definatley take the v8 ( if its a xr8), running gear and back end.
This is probably no good anyway as you probably don't get them over there.
Otherwise you could use a rear end off a Jag if you can get your hands on one but i hear they are a bit of a last resort.

If you get mitsubishi L200 vans you can use the front end off them.

Let me know how you get on cause i'm new to this and don't really know hat i'm gonna do either.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2008, 03:23 PM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

My Kiwi Cousin is referring to the Borg Warner Diff found in most Australian cars,because of local content laws. They come in lots of different widths.
BTW it IS PREFECT not Perfect,PREFECT as in ancient ROMAN legislator,the Other English Ford Products were PILOT ( no guessing there .. ) and Consul ,as in Roman member of the senate.

You will need to build a complete new Chassis for your project,the Prefect is exactly the same design as the Anglia and uses a really crappy cheapo rivetted frame which is designed to be part of the body.
So you build your Chassis FIRST.
The remove the body from the Ford Frame and swap them over. Doing it any other way is foolish and you will ruin the body for sure.
Look in this journal (Old Pops) abd read it from start to finish to see how a Prefect/Anglia/Popular should be built .
OLD POPS journal
The Following User Says Thank You to mercmad63 For This Useful Post:
scottyd (09-13-2014)
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversink
Look at a s10 4/4 rear end its 4" shorter than the 2 wheel drive. That is what I ended up using in a 1935 Int. 1/2 ton and worked great.
I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, but the 4x4 S10 rear is 4" wider than the 2wd. That's why the wheels stick out a little and the factory wheels have a great + offset. It's one of the reasons you can stick vette wheels on 4x4 S10 with out spacers.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthepie
i'm actually trying to rod an e93a aswell, do you get ford falcons in the us? may just be an aussie/kiwi thing, they are supposedly perfect as the body apparently drops straight on, i can't see this working but i'm told it does, you could definatley take the v8 ( if its a xr8), running gear and back end.
This is probably no good anyway as you probably don't get them over there.
Otherwise you could use a rear end off a Jag if you can get your hands on one but i hear they are a bit of a last resort.

If you get mitsubishi L200 vans you can use the front end off them.

Let me know how you get on cause i'm new to this and don't really know hat i'm gonna do either.

Good luck

Here in the US we do have Falcons but they stopped production in 1969.. mid year 1970 Ford took the left over Falcon badges and stuck them on Fairlaine Torino's and made Falcon rip offs.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I'd go to sale and but a chevy car or truck with a sbc auto. If you could buy one running for about $500 you could pull motor tranny rearend and other stuff then scrap the remains and get 1/2 your money back. I have a 51 F-1 that has a junk 283 in it with no compression. I have a junk 63 C-10 with a good 69 model 350 and rebuilt turbo 350 tranny. I gave $150 for it 5 years ago. I got the motor and tranny out with dad's help. I'll trade the 63 body and 2 stripped maverick bodies to my dad for the 48 wrecker in my gallery. Sorry for the long post

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.