Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Don't answer the phone!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just to clarify things a bit.....Before starting the motor I found TDC, set the valves and then oil primed the motor. Then I used about a shot glass of fuel which I poured into the carb. Upon turning the motor over it began to fire on one or two cylinders. I gave another shot glass and a few more cylinders kicked. Thinking it wasn't getting enough gas I gave it 2 shot glasses and then it decided to let me know that something was wrong. This is a hydraulic cam with lifters and not a roller. When I took the rocker covers off to check the valve setting again, that is when I found that one valve that was very loose. Only when I tried to put the left side valve cover on again did I notice that the cover hold downs were very difficult to install. Could only get 2 at a time to screw in, the others were unable to even start. That is when I noticed that the valve cover was crooked along its entire length. Looked for a replacement cover at a wreckers and went through 3 of them before finding one that was straight. Is this a common occurence with valve covers where they are not straight along their entire length? I don't believe I had a hydraulic lock which would undoubtedly have caused more damage. At this point in time what would my next plan of attack be, try to start the motor or?????