Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Don't answer the phone!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam65 View Post
Big mistake just dumping gas down carb. Use a small funnel or similar to fill the carb bowls throw the bowl vent tubes, so the gas can be metered into the engine as it normally would.
Yep this is good info. Fire is also a big issue. I know someone that bunred there garage and new 65k race car to the ground. Race car is not insureable in a garage unless you have special policy. Back fire from carb with no air cleaner caught fire and he could not get it out fast enough. By the time he had a fire extingusher in his hand the fire was to hot to even get close.

Also if it does not start quickly use a small shot of starting fluid or just wait until the the fuel pump can get gas to the carb by turning the starter for a few seconds and pause every few seconds.

You may want to pull the intake like tech said i dont see how the timing cover could have gotten bent with out the pressure reaching the crank case. Intake gasket is fairly weak if you did not have a lot of gas in the engine at once. I think pistons and head gaskets should be ok. But something had to let go let the pressure reach the oil breather or timing cover. If valve covers are commonly bent then this may not be related.

I would pull all the plugs and turn it over and listen and make sure it rolls over smoothly. A compression test will help tell if the valves are adjusted correctly. Valves are alot easier to do with the intake off. You can see the cam lobes and crank and know you lined up right.

Recheck timing and make sure cylinder one is at tdc on compression stroke and rotor is pointing toward number one cylinder. Also check wires and make sure they didnt get twisted around on the wrong plug. Also make sure they are presed into the cap firmly.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
27Tall T (12-06-2012)