Hot Rod Forum banner

Don't be THAT guy, the guy who asks EVERYONE advice on the same subject!

5K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  JGK95 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I found myself standing in a room with a guy who had asked me advice on his motor that he just put a new cam in. I know crap about this stuff so I called my brother who gave me detailed advice which I wrote down. After this he calls another "free lance adviser" and the guy comes over, then calls another one and puts him on speaker phone! I am not kidding you, he has three people he has asked all with different opinions basically throwing them into a cage to fight! Basically saying "He says you are wrong" to the other guys while pointing at me!

I felt like crap, and the guy will do this sort of thing all the time!

Don't be THAT guy, find someone you trust and go with him. It is a LOT easier on you and your "friends".

Brian

#2 ·
Had a friend once having on and off tailight troubles. Told him it was the ground. A week later I go over and he is still screwing with those lights....while he was in the shop looking for misc stuff I fixed it for him....LOL....he comes out and asks man what did you do to fix it???....LMAO

#3 ·
My best friends father-in-law is that way. EVERYsingle time he asks me something he will ask another relative of his that has screwed him over HUNDREDS of times. And EVERYTIME he will listen to HIM. Then he gets MAD when it's NOT right and he has spent tons of money and it STILL isn't fixed. He does what I say and WOW it's fixed. It's almost like he will do everything BUT what I suggest. This has been going on for years. I wish he would just give ME the money he has pointlessly thrown away!!! :boxing:

#4 ·
a former co-worker/friend was always asking about stuff id had done or knew about
id do a ton of homework for him, and give him a big pile of info to help him
and then he would do something other than what i told him
and i would have to listen to him complain about what he did
sometimes i dont think he even knows he does this
but im thinking,REALLY? :confused:

#5 ·
matts37chev said:
a former co-worker/friend was always asking about stuff id had done or knew about
id do a ton of homework for him, and give him a big pile of info to help him
and then he would do something other than what i told him
and i would have to listen to him complain about what he did
sometimes i dont think he even knows he does this
but im thinking,REALLY? :confused:
That is something I never thought of, they ask so much because they probably aren't retaining all they hear and it turns into one big pile of info and then they spew it back out as one big pile of info?

I call my brother (who happens to live 100 miles away, but in the same town as his dad) and get info, he took that info and using it wrong screwed it up, so now I am the bad guy! :nono:

So, he tells people I was the cause of this cars problems and then the very next time he needs to know something, you guessed it, he asks ME! I WANT to help him so I tell him and then he goes to ten others again. :spank: I find it very hard to say "Sorry, I am not going to tell you", you know what I mean?
He asks me if he should put a "Holley" on it, I tell him I don't like Holleys and I would fix the Quadrajet that is on it. Then I find out he doesn't have a clue what a "square bore" or "spread bore" is. So I draw him a cartoon showing him, this is how my days go. With him asking me (and everyone else) all friggin day long!

I want to help him, leave the friggin thing alone I think was the best advice ever. :rolleyes: But even with him doing what he does, I have a hard time not helping him. He asks, I just have to tell him what I know, it is just me. He is a good kid and I want to help him. But darn it is getting harder to do this.

Brian

#6 ·
Don't be THAT guy.....

I run into this often, then the "GUY" takes the problem to 3 other places and end's up forking over lots of bucks for a repair that could have been corrected for much less. THEN they bring it back to me and complain they got shafted. When I see these folks headed my way, I turn down the work, not worth it.

#7 ·
Im getting this same run around, except its my word vs the internet.

the basic topic is since we are using sch10 ss for the manifolds, which is thicker then the mild steel exhaust tubing me used on the last turbo project, we dont NEED full penetration this time, because the pipes wont be flexing as much.

this was a 90 minute back and forth, and in the end i agreed to mig weld it.

i can list so many other topics for THAT PROJECT where my opinion didnt really matter, and we havent even built anything yet.

Laser cut tranny adapter w/ misplaced holes: weld the holes and send it to be MACHINED at a cost of $150+ instead of just having a new one cut for $40

"his" exhaust manifolds: purchased a set of used mild steel top mount turbo manifolds, gasket surfaces were beaten senseless with a grinding disk, dont fit on the car in the first place. Insisted the hash marks wouldnt matter, insisted on cutting them apart and making them work on this project. ignore the lack of penetration on every weld ...

Chop saw: part of my fee for the project is he buys an abrasive chop saw to use and i get it at the end ($120 for the craftsman unit) so he went out and bought a $500 dewalt dry cut metal saw, told me i cant have it.

Didn't get me the RIGHT tranny bolt size before i spent a total of $200 having adapter plate parts cut. i need to use countersunk allen heads in a few spots .... Turns out the adapter plate should have been thicker then the 1/4" i thought would be enough, now we have to countersink the BLOCK some to get the allens to sit flush.

wants to buy a custom made flexplate for like $500 to make a chevy turbo350 TC work behind his engine, despite the fact that we already need a custom TC just to fit the snout into the pilot bushing hole in the crank. for some reason he didnt want to listen that at the same time the bolt pattern can be made to fit the stock flex plate also

oh, and he still has the $350 transmission i paid for, i cant seam to get it back, meaning i cant use the engine i have to mock up the adapter plate. Nor can i really do anything on MY project car.

Im really ready to send my project car to the JY at this point too ...

#8 ·
I think we all know or know of people like this.Sometimes it makes you just want to scream at them,lol. I got a bddy that had a 6-71 blown 355 sbc with 461 heads in his 57 Chevy.I kept telling him how much better off he would be with a good set of aftermarket heads.He doesn't listen to me of course,then one day he calls Jim Oddy and he tells my buddy the same thing ! Well all of a sudden Jim is "The Man" and he doesn't remember our countless conversations on the subject,lol.Some people just make you want to say-huh?:rolleyes:

#10 ·
It only happens once. From then on it's " What are you asking me for? I evidently didn't know the last time the last time you needed something".
If you want my advice, I'll give it freely. If you also ask someone else the same thing , you obviously don't think I know what i am talking about.

#11 ·
I may be "that guy".

I ask LOTS of questions. I ask LOTS of people.

I don't ever discount what anyone says. Every answer is worth something to me. It may not work this time but, maybe NEXT time I have the same problem.

I think the reason I ask repeat questions is the fact that I'm looking for the EXACT answer NOT a general answer.

Sometimes I'm not smart enough to fill in the blanks left by a general answer.

To anyone I offend by my questions, I'm sorry.
We can't ALL be the brightest bulb in the pack.

In my own defense, I'm smart enough to ALWAYS use the Search Option and Spell Check.

454 RATTLER

#12 · (Edited)
454 Rattler said:
I may be "that guy".

I don't ever discount what anyone says. Every answer is worth something to me. It may not work this time but, maybe NEXT time I have the same problem.

I think the reason I ask repeat questions is the fact that I'm looking for the EXACT answer NOT a general answer.

In my own defense, I'm smart enough to ALWAYS use the Search Option and Spell Check.

454 RATTLER
Yes i can relate to that . If i need an answer to a question, ill ask people i trust would know the solution. Usually the people i ask about a problem will have a DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE. So i feel my question gets answered at all possible angles. I"ll stop asking the same question untill i get repeated different perspectives, ( angles ) covered. Then im confident to attack the problem , with the bases covered............... Dont be that guy?????? I wont , i know who to ask....... :nono: .

#15 ·
454 Rattler said:
I may be "that guy".

454 RATTLER
That is the problem, of course asking a few people is a given, I maybe didn't explain it well. I know I thought about this before I posted the thread. I mean, what the heck is wrong with asking people advice, that is what this forum is all about right?

I guess the difference is when you ask and ask and ask until you get a response that you WANT to hear and do, ignoring the RIGHT thing.

Brian

#18 ·
MARTINSR said:
:thumbup:

Brian
I would like to further elaborate on this subject if i may. When i start doing body work on my car , i would like to think i could ask you for your input on my procedure and techniques. I have read alot of your post pertaining to body work , and read your post on body work 101 if i recall correctly hence the title. With body work i would want to get my information from someone ( as yourself ) who knows and has the expirence ( i believe ) for me to achieve a quality product. I believe for me to understand what i want to accomplish , i would only want the direction of one expert . Most questions i ask , would need alot of info comming from all directions. Most questions i ask about (body work,) i would like to follow a tried and tested procedure, by 1 individual. I know there are alot of ways to do the work, i have read alot of the post pertaining to bodywork , and as you know you get all kinds answers and practical theories as how to do the job. One of my best friends is a hemi guru, 413 440 426, he would be the only one i would ask about them motors or sixties and seventies mopars. So yes i might ask alot of questions to achieve an answer to some of my questions, but i would only ask questions to a single person that i know is above the standard , that i believe in his field of expertise. So if you cant answer my question thats fine , or if you feel im not ( worthy) , thats fine also. Im sorry if i put a spin on this , but when i read the post you started, this is what came to mind. I ask questions to the people i know will have an input. I ask questions to people whos answers i respect. Im sorry for the guy that asks you questions and puts you in a boxing ring with anothers answer. That is not right and i couldnt agree with you more. But i hope you wouldnt stop giving out your advice based on ones misuse of it .. Im sure the man who asked you the question really respects your advice. AS I DO. :)

#19 ·
crystalbluevib said:
I would like to further elaborate on this subject if i may. When i start doing body work on my car , i would like to think i could ask you for your input on my procedure and techniques. I have read alot of your post pertaining to body work , and read your post on body work 101 if i recall correctly hence the title. With body work i would want to get my information from someone ( as yourself ) who knows and has the expirence ( i believe ) for me to achieve a quality product. I believe for me to understand what i want to accomplish , i would only want the direction of one expert . Most questions i ask , would need alot of info comming from all directions. Most questions i ask about (body work,) i would like to follow a tried and tested procedure, by 1 individual. I know there are alot of ways to do the work, i have read alot of the post pertaining to bodywork , and as you know you get all kinds answers and practical theories as how to do the job. One of my best friends is a hemi guru, 413 440 426, he would be the only one i would ask about them motors or sixties and seventies mopars. So yes i might ask alot of questions to achieve an answer to some of my questions, but i would only ask questions to a single person that i know is above the standard , that i believe in his field of expertise. So if you cant answer my question thats fine , or if you feel im not ( worthy) , thats fine also. Im sorry if i put a spin on this , but when i read the post you started, this is what came to mind. I ask questions to the people i know will have an input. I ask questions to people whos answers i respect. Im sorry for the guy that asks you questions and puts you in a boxing ring with anothers answer. That is not right and i couldnt agree with you more. But i hope you wouldnt stop giving out your advice based on ones misuse of it .. Im sure the man who asked you the question really respects your advice. AS I DO. :)
If my response didn't come off as tongue in cheek as it was intended. I thought the original post asking me was a joke, kinda like the very first response to the thread about going to Hamb to ask their opinion. I will always answer all questions asked. :thumbup:

Brian

#22 ·
My observation is that there are many people who really want you to tell them what they WANT to hear ... to agree with their "miracle cure" idea.

I do try to explain why I don't think it will work, but I eventually do get to the point of just telling them to go ahead and try that ... let me know how it goes. :mwink:

#25 ·
What I really love is the guy who will after being told he did something wrong he makes some changes, acts like he didn't just to prove someone wrong. Oh yeah, that's a classic.

Brian

#26 · (Edited)
I ask people advice and in this trade it's a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to be able to let your guard down and get differing opinions but the curse is people will take it the wrong way.

So my stance is, ask as many people as you can and go from there. This will only stick with your forever so why not? If friends want to argue over it that's on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.