Don't be THAT guy, the guy who asks EVERYONE advice on the same subject! - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basicly what it all boils down to is "There's more than one way to skin a cat!"

BB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
tech69 (04-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

What's the difference whether you ask 3-4 people or several hundred on 3-4 websites - you are still getting a mish mash of ideas and/or advice, some good, some pure rubbish - or do I have not a frakin' clue as to what you are really discussing!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM

My usual response to those that disagree over a point of techinical nature: "Having only done the job, and never actually READ about it, you MAY have me at a disadvantage..."

Pros seldom give advice based on their ego. It's usually from experience.

Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have a question....How much HP can I get out of my 383.....
dinger (04-13-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
What's the difference whether you ask 3-4 people or several hundred on 3-4 websites - you are still getting a mish mash of ideas and/or advice, some good, some pure rubbish - or do I have not a frakin' clue as to what you are really discussing!!!!!!
You are right and my rant that started this thread sounds like what I just posted a few posts ago. I guess I am confused or confusing one or the other.

"I can kinda understand that, you can look for the "bestest" answer in not so much to hear what you want to hear kinda answer, that's different. But to ask and get a few different answers and use the one that makes the most sense, or works best for you. When I did my convertible top I didn't do this on purpose but I found myself on two web sites discussing the project and learned something from both sites that helped me.

There are a LOT of ideas out there."

My original rant was a little different in that it came from a guy I know who will ask everyone the same thing and when one of them tells him what he WANTS to hear, that is what he goes with. That is a lot different than tossing something around among a bunch of guys then using the BEST information be damned if it's what you want, that is the difference.

All I know is this thread is a downer and I posted it while in a fit of rage it needs to be thrown in the dump.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 AM

Poncho62,

How much money you got? Argh! Argh! Humor...

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yesterday I found myself standing in a room with a guy who had asked me advice on his motor that he just put a new cam in. I know crap about this stuff so I called my brother who gave me detailed advice which I wrote down. After this he calls another "free lance adviser" and the guy comes over, then calls another one and puts him on speaker phone! I am not kidding you, he has three people he has asked all with different opinions basically throwing them into a cage to fight! Basically saying "He says you are wrong" to the other guys while pointing at me!

I felt like crap, and the guy will do this sort of thing all the time!

Don't be THAT guy, find someone you trust and go with him. It is a LOT easier on you and your "friends".

Brian
sorry you have to be "that guy" as everything in this hobby has many trains of though on how to do things.. some way wrong.. others just different thoughts on how to go about it...
and a lot of b/s to go through..
including a bunch of SHOPS...
the way I'd set up my package will be different than others as I believe in ft lb's over hp.. the next guy might tell ya to build for high hp
some will say build a long arm others a set up that spin to the moon..
yes it sucks as you watch a guy question your reply.. or in your case try to get all involved into a pissing match..
I learned a long time ago.. the pro's are not always right.. I was told more times than I'd like to remember that a 301 turbo t/a set up would not work on a pontiac 400 or a 326 guess what.. they where wrong..
was also told that 2.2 mopar turbo's blown through a carb would blow up..
again the 305 with 10second 1/4 miles made them eat crow..
in this hobby there are many ways to skin a cat.. and not everyone agree's on most of them.. and thats where the problems start.. but that also makes the builds different..
ya it sucks to get put in the middle.. but can't blame anyone for asking more than one person..
do you trust your doctor enough to NOT get a 2nd opinion??
same deal...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
sorry you have to be "that guy" as everything in this hobby has many trains of though on how to do things.. some way wrong.. others just different thoughts on how to go about it...
and a lot of b/s to go through..
including a bunch of SHOPS...
the way I'd set up my package will be different than others as I believe in ft lb's over hp.. the next guy might tell ya to build for high hp
some will say build a long arm others a set up that spin to the moon..
yes it sucks as you watch a guy question your reply.. or in your case try to get all involved into a pissing match..
I learned a long time ago.. the pro's are not always right.. I was told more times than I'd like to remember that a 301 turbo t/a set up would not work on a pontiac 400 or a 326 guess what.. they where wrong..
was also told that 2.2 mopar turbo's blown through a carb would blow up..
again the 305 with 10second 1/4 miles made them eat crow..
in this hobby there are many ways to skin a cat.. and not everyone agree's on most of them.. and thats where the problems start.. but that also makes the builds different..
ya it sucks to get put in the middle.. but can't blame anyone for asking more than one person..
do you trust your doctor enough to NOT get a 2nd opinion??
same deal...
I could give a crap less if he questions my reply as long as there is thought put into it and just not looking for what he wants to hear. Believe me, if you knew THIS guy I am talking about you would get it, it would be picture perfectly clear if you spent a day with this guy. And it just isn't me, EVERYONE I have ever known who knows him feels the same way, he is way out there.

Let me put it this way, this guy will make a comment to you about your sex life with your wife, he is a "social illiterate". He came by with a Mustang he wanted to buy and every guy in the shop was telling him not to that it was in flood or something, MANY different things were HUGE red flags and he kept talking and talking like he was going to buy it, totally ignoring every professional in the shop that he brought it to show! He ended up not buying it but when he left you would have thought he was heading to the bank for the cash, I am thinking he didn't get only because he tried to beat the guy down on price too much. He did this on a Tattoo, no kidding, be beat the guy down on price and wonders why that tattoo faded and he had to have it covered up. Believe me, if you knew him and went thru what I did that day I posted this thread you would understand.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
I could give a crap less if he questions my reply as long as there is thought put into it and just not looking for what he wants to hear. Believe me, if you knew THIS guy I am talking about you would get it, it would be picture perfectly clear if you spent a day with this guy. And it just isn't me, EVERYONE I have ever known who knows him feels the same way, he is way out there.

Let me put it this way, this guy will make a comment to you about your sex life with your wife, he is a "social illiterate". He came by with a Mustang he wanted to buy and every guy in the shop was telling him not to that it was in flood or something, MANY different things were HUGE red flags and he kept talking and talking like he was going to buy it, totally ignoring every professional in the shop that he brought it to show! He ended up not buying it but when he left you would have thought he was heading to the bank for the cash, I am thinking he didn't get only because he tried to beat the guy down on price too much. He did this on a Tattoo, no kidding, be beat the guy down on price and wonders why that tattoo faded and he had to have it covered up. Believe me, if you knew him and went thru what I did that day I posted this thread you would understand.

Brian
then shame on you, knowing the outcome before hand and still bothering to try to help..
sometimes you just gotta not even bother.. no matter how much it kills ya..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
then shame on you, knowing the outcome before hand and still bothering to try to help..
sometimes you just gotta not even bother.. no matter how much it kills ya..
This is true but when someone walks up to you and askes "Can you look at this car I want to buy"? What can you say, NO I won't? I guess I need to try that but damn that's pretty harsh.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
This is true but when someone walks up to you and askes "Can you look at this car I want to buy"? What can you say, NO I won't? I guess I need to try that but damn that's pretty harsh.

Brian
The sad thing is, we all know that guy. I always wonder how they decide who to listen to. It certainly isn't based on the qualifications of the people they ask.

John L
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
The sad thing is, we all know that guy. I always wonder how they decide who to listen to. It certainly isn't based on the qualifications of the people they ask.

John L
John they listen to the person who gives them the answer they want. Usually they just want validation that they were right.

BB
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
harsh if put that way.. ya..
I would if I could, but I'm busy at the moment.. bingo
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I have a question....How much HP can I get out of my 383.....
My classic answer:
"Speed costs money, son. How fast do you want to go?"
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
I just had this scenario play out, actually.
My son's "significant other" had a 2001 Intrepid with a 2.7 engine that just simply DIED ... would not run.
Prognosis was that it needed a new engine.
Reading here as well as other places ... the 2.7 was, rather unanimously, a POS ...

So she goes shopping on Kijiji for a replacement car. I had strongly suggested a GM something with a 3.8 V6. Call it biased if you like, but I have 2 of them and they've both been very good to me.

She finds a "really nice little red car" and wants to know what I think...
I think it is a Dodge with another 2.7, and I don't like it.

I told her that, at least outwardly, it does seem like it's in very nice shape. Low miles, driven by a senior, and dealership maintained ... being sold by his daughters on behalf of his estate. These ladies are very nice, BTW, and have a certain emotional attachment to the car. Those are hard conditions to have to give "No, I wouldn't buy it" advice in.

So I factored in the asking price of $5,000 ... divided that out by a minimum 5-year life expectancy (she doesn't drive many km's in a year ... mostly in-town for work and groceries)

So my bottom line advice was that although I wasn't a fan of the engine in this car, that it would probably suit your purposes as a daily driver. Just make sure you keep it well-maintained. Other than that ... it's your money, and I think you should buy it if you like it.

So as to the premise of this thread, as I understand it ... is that you should give the best advice that you can, based on your own experience ... but not take it personally if this advice isn't taken or followed. There is something to learn from the success or failure of her buying this particular car. Who knows?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.