Don't be THAT guy, the guy who asks EVERYONE advice on the same subject! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Don't be THAT guy, the guy who asks EVERYONE advice on the same subject!

Yesterday I found myself standing in a room with a guy who had asked me advice on his motor that he just put a new cam in. I know crap about this stuff so I called my brother who gave me detailed advice which I wrote down. After this he calls another "free lance adviser" and the guy comes over, then calls another one and puts him on speaker phone! I am not kidding you, he has three people he has asked all with different opinions basically throwing them into a cage to fight! Basically saying "He says you are wrong" to the other guys while pointing at me!

I felt like crap, and the guy will do this sort of thing all the time!

Don't be THAT guy, find someone you trust and go with him. It is a LOT easier on you and your "friends".

Brian

Advertisement

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

I hear what your saying, Brian. I'm going over to the HAMB and check if anyone else agrees with you, or not, I'll let you know!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!!
Alan
Old 05-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Had a friend once having on and off tailight troubles. Told him it was the ground. A week later I go over and he is still screwing with those lights....while he was in the shop looking for misc stuff I fixed it for him....LOL....he comes out and asks man what did you do to fix it???....LMAO
Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

My best friends father-in-law is that way. EVERYsingle time he asks me something he will ask another relative of his that has screwed him over HUNDREDS of times. And EVERYTIME he will listen to HIM. Then he gets MAD when it's NOT right and he has spent tons of money and it STILL isn't fixed. He does what I say and WOW it's fixed. It's almost like he will do everything BUT what I suggest. This has been going on for years. I wish he would just give ME the money he has pointlessly thrown away!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

a former co-worker/friend was always asking about stuff id had done or knew about
id do a ton of homework for him, and give him a big pile of info to help him
and then he would do something other than what i told him
and i would have to listen to him complain about what he did
sometimes i dont think he even knows he does this
but im thinking,REALLY?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
a former co-worker/friend was always asking about stuff id had done or knew about
id do a ton of homework for him, and give him a big pile of info to help him
and then he would do something other than what i told him
and i would have to listen to him complain about what he did
sometimes i dont think he even knows he does this
but im thinking,REALLY?
That is something I never thought of, they ask so much because they probably aren't retaining all they hear and it turns into one big pile of info and then they spew it back out as one big pile of info?

I call my brother (who happens to live 100 miles away, but in the same town as his dad) and get info, he took that info and using it wrong screwed it up, so now I am the bad guy!

So, he tells people I was the cause of this cars problems and then the very next time he needs to know something, you guessed it, he asks ME! I WANT to help him so I tell him and then he goes to ten others again. I find it very hard to say "Sorry, I am not going to tell you", you know what I mean?
He asks me if he should put a "Holley" on it, I tell him I don't like Holleys and I would fix the Quadrajet that is on it. Then I find out he doesn't have a clue what a "square bore" or "spread bore" is. So I draw him a cartoon showing him, this is how my days go. With him asking me (and everyone else) all friggin day long!

I want to help him, leave the friggin thing alone I think was the best advice ever. But even with him doing what he does, I have a hard time not helping him. He asks, I just have to tell him what I know, it is just me. He is a good kid and I want to help him. But darn it is getting harder to do this.

Brian
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Don't be THAT guy.....

I run into this often, then the "GUY" takes the problem to 3 other places and end's up forking over lots of bucks for a repair that could have been corrected for much less. THEN they bring it back to me and complain they got shafted. When I see these folks headed my way, I turn down the work, not worth it.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Im getting this same run around, except its my word vs the internet.

the basic topic is since we are using sch10 ss for the manifolds, which is thicker then the mild steel exhaust tubing me used on the last turbo project, we dont NEED full penetration this time, because the pipes wont be flexing as much.

this was a 90 minute back and forth, and in the end i agreed to mig weld it.

i can list so many other topics for THAT PROJECT where my opinion didnt really matter, and we havent even built anything yet.

Laser cut tranny adapter w/ misplaced holes: weld the holes and send it to be MACHINED at a cost of $150+ instead of just having a new one cut for $40

"his" exhaust manifolds: purchased a set of used mild steel top mount turbo manifolds, gasket surfaces were beaten senseless with a grinding disk, dont fit on the car in the first place. Insisted the hash marks wouldnt matter, insisted on cutting them apart and making them work on this project. ignore the lack of penetration on every weld ...

Chop saw: part of my fee for the project is he buys an abrasive chop saw to use and i get it at the end ($120 for the craftsman unit) so he went out and bought a $500 dewalt dry cut metal saw, told me i cant have it.

Didn't get me the RIGHT tranny bolt size before i spent a total of $200 having adapter plate parts cut. i need to use countersunk allen heads in a few spots .... Turns out the adapter plate should have been thicker then the 1/4" i thought would be enough, now we have to countersink the BLOCK some to get the allens to sit flush.

wants to buy a custom made flexplate for like $500 to make a chevy turbo350 TC work behind his engine, despite the fact that we already need a custom TC just to fit the snout into the pilot bushing hole in the crank. for some reason he didnt want to listen that at the same time the bolt pattern can be made to fit the stock flex plate also

oh, and he still has the $350 transmission i paid for, i cant seam to get it back, meaning i cant use the engine i have to mock up the adapter plate. Nor can i really do anything on MY project car.

Im really ready to send my project car to the JY at this point too ...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Psychomotors

I think we all know or know of people like this.Sometimes it makes you just want to scream at them,lol. I got a bddy that had a 6-71 blown 355 sbc with 461 heads in his 57 Chevy.I kept telling him how much better off he would be with a good set of aftermarket heads.He doesn't listen to me of course,then one day he calls Jim Oddy and he tells my buddy the same thing ! Well all of a sudden Jim is "The Man" and he doesn't remember our countless conversations on the subject,lol.Some people just make you want to say-huh?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I just tell guys what I know to work and if they want to do something else the results are on them..Lot easier on me that way...I get to think I told you so a lot these days..

Sam
Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

It only happens once. From then on it's " What are you asking me for? I evidently didn't know the last time the last time you needed something".
If you want my advice, I'll give it freely. If you also ask someone else the same thing , you obviously don't think I know what i am talking about.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I may be "that guy".

I ask LOTS of questions. I ask LOTS of people.

I don't ever discount what anyone says. Every answer is worth something to me. It may not work this time but, maybe NEXT time I have the same problem.

I think the reason I ask repeat questions is the fact that I'm looking for the EXACT answer NOT a general answer.

Sometimes I'm not smart enough to fill in the blanks left by a general answer.

To anyone I offend by my questions, I'm sorry.
We can't ALL be the brightest bulb in the pack.

In my own defense, I'm smart enough to ALWAYS use the Search Option and Spell Check.

454 RATTLER
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
I may be "that guy".

I ask LOTS of questions. I ask LOTS of people.

I don't ever discount what anyone says. Every answer is worth something to me. It may not work this time but, maybe NEXT time I have the same problem.

I think the reason I ask repeat questions is the fact that I'm looking for the EXACT answer NOT a general answer.

Sometimes I'm not smart enough to fill in the blanks left by a general answer.

To anyone I offend by my questions, I'm sorry.
We can't ALL be the brightest bulb in the pack.

In my own defense, I'm smart enough to ALWAYS use the Search Option and Spell Check.

454 RATTLER
Yes i can relate to that . If i need an answer to a question, ill ask people i trust would know the solution. Usually the people i ask about a problem will have a DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE. So i feel my question gets answered at all possible angles. I"ll stop asking the same question untill i get repeated different perspectives, ( angles ) covered. Then im confident to attack the problem , with the bases covered............... Dont be that guy?????? I wont , i know who to ask....... .

Last edited by crystalbluevib; 05-25-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Oh by the way ,.......Brian can i ask you a question??????????
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbluevib
Oh by the way ,.......Brian can i ask you a question??????????
No.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
37hemidodge (04-02-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.