Don't know what i should do??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2002, 11:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Don't know what i should do???

Ok guys i am now preparing to do my quarter panels on the Newport.I was wondering since i am only making minimum wage and cannot afford a high cost paint job as of yet i was thinking about a few ways i could do my car.First is i was thinking about painting it flat black at maaco for $215.Or i was going to just do it in flat black primer can or spray gun and i would have done that in my garage or drive way.Now if i do it in flat black primer i was wanting to put ghost gray flames on it and was wndering if anyone else thought it would be a good idea.Because i have seen alot of custom cars that are in primer and have flames but i have never seen ghst gray.Could someone tell me what this would look like or how good it would look like.Also should i just get the cheep maaco job done to match the original paint.Another thing i was wondering is how could i do my own quarter panels and body work at home and what tools should i use to do so i have checked the local book stores and librarys but the books are all how to repair these new plastic cars.
Thank you for all the assistance so far
Newport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2002, 01:45 PM

Cool

Well replacing a quarter panel is a big first time out job. If you can scrape up about 150 bucks more per side I am sure you could get a body man to do it. But being on minimum wage I am sure that is near imposible.

carefuly remove all of the trim from the side of the car as well as the bumper, tail lights and weather striping. Then use a spot weld cutter and remove all spot welds along botom of quarter and fender lip. If you need to replace because of rust you may not have many to cut. Then use a sabre saw with fine tooth metal cuting blade or a die grinder with thin cut off wheel and cut away the remaining panel leaving several inches more good metal than needed on the car. along top of panel and at door post. Make any inner sheet metal repairs then Fit the panel into place and clamp it there. Check for proper alignment and dicide what needs to be trimed so you can get a good but joint fit. It is better to be spairing when trimming the panel because it is always easier to trim away more than to put it back later. Once everything is ligned up you can clean the seem area with the body grinder and tack the panel in place (about every 6" along the seem). Areas that were spot welded can be reatached by starting 1/8" hole through the new skin with a drill until it cleans a spot on the backing metal then tack it with a mig and grind away the exess. After tacking it in place and being certain that it all lines up weld one inch an a time between tacks alowing area to cool thorughly before welding anymore there. You can help the cooling by using compressed air not water. after all welding is completed slowly grind away the weld making the area smooth. Use a sharpy marker and mark any places that need aditional welding. Any stock body seems that you have disturbed will need to be cleaned out and re sealed with 3M body and seem sealer. Do not forget to re undercoat before the car gets wet.

I would just have the car painted finish color by maco. They will often give you a better deal if you have all of the chrome off of the car and all the body work finished. Take all of the weatherstriping and interior out and tell them you will mask her off and I bet you can get the guy to shoot your doorjambs for no more money.

Good Luck
Old 03-15-2002, 10:34 AM

Thanks 57 for the advice but i was also wondering-my freinds cousin owns a body shop and has some write offs on the lt.If I were to cut sectionsof the roofs out of these cars to replace the rusted sections on my quarters and bend them to match could i just as easily use this as a means of doing my quarters???
thanks alot

Newport
Old 03-16-2002, 10:06 AM

yo newport, do not just prime your car, primer doesn't seal out water and it'll rust underneath and ruin all your hard work. use a good sealer such as DP 40 or just talk to a local paint supplier for their recommendations, most sealer can be tinted to any color and has a semi flat finish, they are easy to shoot if you've never handled a gun before and last a lot longer than basic primer.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:59 PM

Thumbs up

yea, you could section in pieces to your qtr pnls like you said.Make sure you get as much of the rust out as you can, and follow the instructions 57 gave you.It would definatly by easier than a whole qtr pnl,and would save money on the sheet metal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.