Hot Rod Forum banner

Dont Wan't Engine braking in TH350

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Blazin__ 
#1 ·
how is this done properly i have heard of people doing this before. Just wanting to try this out. I know that you have to disable the band from alplying but i do not know how this is done, do you just leave the band out, put a spacer under the servo so that it dosent ingage the band, checkball removal, what is the most effective and safe way to do this? i know that this can put extra strain on the intermediate one way race. i just want someone to explain it to me

Thanks

Cam

#2 ·
Blazin__ said:
how is this done properly i have heard of people doing this before. Just wanting to try this out. I know that you have to disable the band from alplying but i do not know how this is done, do you just leave the band out, put a spacer under the servo so that it dosent ingage the band, checkball removal, what is the most effective and safe way to do this? i know that this can put extra strain on the intermediate one way race. i just want someone to explain it to me

Thanks

Cam

You must misunderstand the operation of the tranny in question.

the strain is on the intermediate sprag race during acceleration , not during decel.

The band holds the drum for engine braking only.

If you remove the band and while in manual second gear the tranny will seem to 'neutral out' when you lift on the gas pedal ( no acceleration)... when throttle is reapplied hard that is when the sparg race is really stressed .

:cool:

#3 ·
ya thats what im lookin for..... wanna neutral when i go into man2. i just wanna know the proper way of doing this. i have a few years of tranz building experience behind me i have just never done this before or had anyone tell me how this is done

Thanks

#9 ·
Blazin__ said:
i want to know if you simply just leave the band out, or if you stop the servo from moving somehow. or block off the servo apply ??? what is the proper way to do this
Remove the band and servo parts.

Remove the spring from under the accumilator piston in the valve body. Use washers or a spacer to block the piston down into the v-body. Reinstall the E clip retainer

Plug off all the holes in the case where the servo was. 1/8 pipe plugs, a cup plug the size of the large hole , they must be plugged off or you have a massive leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.