(dont want to be a hack)smooth fire wall/fuse block and wire route - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

(dont want to be a hack)smooth fire wall/fuse block and wire route

Hi guys I have picked up a sweet 53 belair. It has a smoothed fire wall and I need to place the fuse block under the dash. As i dont want the bolts to go through the fire wall and be seen from the engine bay I might weld in some sort of bracket to mount it to.. Any other ideas?? Drivers side kick panel area is out due to e brake.
Also concerned with drilling the hole for the engine/head light harness. I dont want to see the hole in the fire wall that the wires will run through.
The project is on hold till I get this figured out.
Thanks, Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

Double sided tape, Velcro, Epoxy glue or a bracket.
Could go through floor or Trans tunnel & through frame rail to Headlights.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

You could do a bracket between the trans tunnel and the dash support brackets. And for the headlight wires, run them out the sides of the cowl, take off the fenders, and go along the inner sheetmetal so it won't be seen in the engine bay.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

I'm using a painless universal harness in my chevelle. I welded the fuse block bracket dead center behind and under the dash where the center speaker used to be (in the chevelle, the inner 1/2 of the dash can be unbolted and removed) see the area where I have circled red in this photo. If you're using an OE fuse block you could fab a bracket out of sheetmetal and weld it in a similar way.. (See attached pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	42328  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

after welding a hundred holes in my dash, i too didn't want the wiring harness run thru the firewall down the inner fender.
but i did have AC/heater lines on the passenger side. i bought 1/2" plastic flex conduit used for industrial applications and ran my wires thru that. bulkhead fitting looks like a 5th AC line. i have a painless harness (fuse box left of the steering column) and had plenty of wire to run down the passenger side. i welded up a bracket to mount my fuse block on and used the lower hinge bolt as one of my attachment points.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Weld the head of the bolts to the inside of the fire wall.. Are just weld in a bracket..
Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

On my '37 I just tack welded a faux mounting plate to the firewall with a 1/2" of air space to run wire behind and mounted the panel to it. To bring the wires forward to the rad cradle I used a piece of 3/4" seamless tubing that I contoured to the frame rail and brought 10 wires up with it to run, head and signal lites, electric fan, horn and spare wires. It was a great place to attach the positive from the battery to the starter. Engine wiring came up to the front valve cover via 1/2 " tubing. I polished both pieces of tubing with the buffer and clear coated them for looks.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

I wish I had pictures of the 57 we did for a customer , we mounted the fuse panel ( ato style ) under the dash on a bracket pointing the fuses down so all the wires where under the dash and hid the wiring high up under the fenders in the rounded portion we snuck them out near the doors on both sides we used semi trailer wiring for tankers ( Grote) the conductors are in a sealed tube about 1/8" in dia ) and spot welded the bolts for the clamps to the underside of the fender .
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
I wish I had pictures of the 57 we did for a customer , we mounted the fuse panel ( ato style ) under the dash on a bracket pointing the fuses down so all the wires where under the dash .
I am doing something similar on my 41. Check out entry 299 of my journal for photos.

For going through the firewall, I am leaning towards using one of these:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/103017.pdf
Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

man that has to be a pretty penny , I got the Idea for our customers car from one of the cars I own ( I think it was my 95 firebird )
Old 12-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys I mounted it on the passanger side above the kick panel area..And drilled a hole through the inner fender then ran it along the top of the inside of the fender. Should have ran it through a copper pipe to make sure it didnt get hit buy rock ect..but just used that cheap black loom stuff.
Also the wires to the headlight switch are about a foot too short now..Will have to add on to them i guess. I didnt know what else to do mounting wise becuase the last owner has cut what looks like vent holes for ac in the lower dash. and not sure what kind of room that would leave me. And a foot style e brake on the driver side mounted in the kick area. and bein a smoothed fire wall didnt want to run bolts into it.
Anyway thanks for the ideas

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.