Dont waste your time hot rodding and engine unless it has 350 cubes or more? ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2002, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Dont waste your time hot rodding and engine unless it has 350 cubes or more? ??

I have read in many books and magazines that if you are going to hot rod an engine don't waste your time unless it is a 350 cu. in. or larger.

I had a friend back in the 70's that built a 289 in a 65 Mustang and he challenged anyone on the track and beat them by at least 10 car lengths. I have seen with my own two eyes that 289 beat a 426 Hemi with two four barrel carbs, a 427 Vette, and numerous other large block engines, all with high performance goodies. Not one of them even came close to the hot rod 289.

Has anyone else had this experience??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2002, 07:30 PM

it would have been hard to convince me in 1968 that you had to have at least a 350ci engine to make a hot rod...especially when that stock DZ302 Z28 was thumpin' like it could....made a lot of folks eat crow at the other end.....
Old 04-05-2002, 07:35 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have seen a lot of 265's and 283's back in the 60's that would eat some pretty big lunches, not mention some old flat head Ford v-8's. Yes you can most definatly hot rod a smaller engine than a 350. Just got to have some money and know the right tricks.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:36 PM

I love little engines 289s 283s 327s 302s 273s 330s and would build hell out of anyone of them at the drop of a hat,short cranks and good sized pistons means RPMs and RPMs means music,forget the radio listen to the whind,the scream of that carb,rythem of the exhaust...ahhh real music!!!
Old 04-05-2002, 08:46 PM

tom,if you keep that up we will have to "r" rate the site,jimm
Old 04-05-2002, 09:06 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I here ya Jim, I guess that would mean forgeting about the Boss 302 Mustang, 289 Cobra (the original bad boy), and as mentioned Chevys 302 Camaro. I would take any of them. Ah what do you want from a bunch of books and magazines. I'll keep my little 302 Windsor. Cubic inches are certainly an easy way to make power but not a requirement for a hot rod as I see it. I could be mentally unstable but I think if you dropped a supercharged V-6 in a street rod I would probably like it.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:18 PM

Iam staying out of this one but I think something was wrong with the HEMI with 2X4 carbs. ROY
Old 04-05-2002, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Yes grasshopper, never underestimate the power of the Ford small block.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:52 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

A built 289 in a '65 Mustang will kick serious butt, horsepower to weight ratio, that's the ticket.

I bet the 426 Hemi with two four barrel carbs was in a land yacht Mopar, wasn't it?
Old 04-06-2002, 05:36 AM

Talking

Ok,Everone knows by now I'm a fan of cubic inches.But if you throw being driveable out the window,by todays standards the the small blocks are a riot to drive. My brother has a 65 Cuda with a 318 that is nothing short of amazing to drop the hammer on,the 4speed and 456gear really work well with this car and add to the fun factor. The car sits in the garage with slicks and open headers so it's always ready for a ride. Bring it up to 5grand and dump the clutch,don't bother looking at the tach cause it's already passed 6500 and time to power shift to second, damb I just ****ed and I gotta do it again sure hope I don't miss 3rd. Missed it did you see the tach it pegged,one of these times its got to come apart but not this time,6500 again and power to 4th let it pull for a ways and shut it down. This car is almost as much fun to take some unsuspecting soul for a ride as it is to drive. They get out and can't believe it's a 318.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

Man liquid you have a way with words. It's been so long since I've had a four speed I got a chubby just reading your post. And I'm not talking some new car with a manual trans, we all know that's not the same as what you described. I test drive new cars with sticks all the time at work, nothing like an old muscle car with a kickin' engine and a high gear rear to spread your smile from ear to ear with every shift. I have to go change my shorts now.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:25 AM

I always thought a v6 turbo would be one of the best engine combinatons going for a light street rod.Ever gone for a ride in a Grand National? they pull pretty hard and that is @ 3300lbs, knock @ 1000lbs off of that and it sounds like a real weapon to me.There is tons of things you can do to these engines that can push them into the 9's. Add in there probably better fuel mileage and power that comes on after the car is rolling so you dont have to smoke em off the line while the kid in the honda beside you is laughing at you in his rear view mirror. Cubes used to rule in my book also, but i think that is an old way of thinking. Sorry guys, not trying to step on anyones toes here, PLEASE DON'T take it the wrong way. less weight is what every race car owner is looking for, the car should be easier to control going through corners also. There is no subtitute for cubic inches is a thing of the past. Think of the whole picture not just the cool factor.Just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Cubes are important, but not everything. My boss has a volkwagon 2332 (about 140 cubic inches) that runs 11.90, it beats most all of the 440s and 454s at the track.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:28 PM
At a loss for words

There's a lot more to racing than who has the most horsepower. I visit a few other boards that deal with my daily driver (3100 SFI V6) and that's all those guys talk about. "I have more HP than he does, but he still beat me. What's the deal?" People also need to think of the power to weight ratio (which I believe was mentioned), the torque, where all the peak HP and torque are made, and if you can get all that power to the ground.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:28 PM

Question

arn't most drag strips set up to run a handicap type format.if so than that meens that quite possibly the guy thats doin all the winning might just loose on a head to head run?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.