Door adjustments '37 ford coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Door adjustments '37 ford coupe

On my newly purchased '37 coupe the door jambs are painted and I can't get hinge screws to come loose. Heat will wreck the paint.
First question, If I remove the kick panels will that expose the screws on the inside of the frame holding the hinge so I can get some WD-40 or mystery oil to help break them loose? I won't do that if I cannot get to the screws as the kick panels are in and look very good and I don't know how they are attached.
Second question, will an impact driver do the job of loosening the screws or do I risk damaging the frame or breaking off the screws? I'm referring to the driver you hit with a hammer.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

the adjustment is not in the hinge on the jamb. there is a little in the door but not much. the door adjust by shims. post some pics and i will tell you where to shim.
i use the impact driver head on a 3/8 impact wrench. it will usually rattle the screws loose. just go easy.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,153 Posts
I'm with Shine, of you need to remove those bolts an air impact or "butterfly" type impact works like magic for getting those bolts out. Be sure to use the right tip, clean the paint out of the screw so the tool will go in and fit tight. Start out with the impact or butterfly on very low so it is just "hitting" nice and easy, then turn it up a little more after it doesn't turn the bolt out. I have broken many screw driver sockets on something like that so it isn't full proof but that "hitting" that an impact does will often get it loose. Is the car all painted or just the hinges and jambs? Because if that is the case it isn't like you don't have paint work to do anyway. If you heated up just the bolt head, cooled it with water and heated it, and cooled it this a number of times this will break loose the most stubborn bolt. I have unscrewed them by hand after this method. The bolt expands and contracts with the heating and cooling and will break loose pretty easy usually.

Brian

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Yes, you can get penetrating oil to the ends of the bolts. Cant remember it they are cage nuts or the hinge is threaded. The factory tweaking of the doors was heating and bending the hinges them selves though I like shimming better.

Never had any luck with a butter fly tool, but a good old fashioned 1/2 in drive impact works for me.

Trees
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If it's anything like my 36, it has a cage nut inside, accessible through a square opening. I beat the P out of mine with an impact, after using everything but heat to loosen, to no avail, they wouldn't break loose. We didn't need to do any adjustments so I left them on and jambed everything with the front sheet metal off. Unless they're really bad out of shape, I would do as Shine says, heat them.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Guys, this little butterfly is the holy grail when working on cars I have to say. I will crack things loose that other guys have screwed up beating on them or rounding bolts or screws and I can STILL end up doing it. Let alone the times that no one has screwed with it. It is the magic tool if you ask me. I have nothing but the best of them at home and the shop.

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

always tighten first to break them loose.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

That's where the butterfly comes in, you go in and out over and over and over and it busts them loose like butta.

Brian
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

never cared for the butterfly. i use my air impact , same tool just easier for me to handle.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

I hear you Shine, it's all about what feels comfortable to each of us. I find that being able to flip it forward or reverse with one movement of my thumb works for me. Also with a screw driver tip in it it's held like a screw driver so it feels more "normal" to me. It's funny, you will see it more in mechanics tool boxes than bodymen, but I love the damn thing. I guess that's why I got it, my brother the mechanic had one when I first got in the this trade.

Brian
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM

adjusting doors on '37 ford coupe

Shine, thanks for your offer. Please e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll get some pictures to you.
Thank you,
Rusty Duck, aka Jim
e-mail: jns@q.com

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.