Hot Rod Forum banner

door glass

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gene Neal 
#1 ·
This winter I'm going to install new door glass in my 28 Ford coupe. Do you glue the glass to the channel that rides on the regulator? And if so what kind of adhesive?
Thanks

#3 ·
replacing the door Glass

red56! No, you don't glue the door glass to the channel for the regular. go down to the local auto glass company or probably any glass company and see if they will seal you some door Glass Tap, it is made just for that job and it is kind of sticky and black in color. Here is how you use it: the regulator channel is steel and U shaped and under that is most likely a long slot that the regulator armies attach to. Remove door Glass and with Channel from the door and place on table with a bath towel or something to protect it under the glass. Mark the door Glass or masseur it's position on the Glass. Most of the time you can very carefully pry the channel off the Glass (don't pry on the door Glass, make sure that you are between the channel and the tap.) Or (again being careful) with the door Glass laying on the table flat (with the channel hanging over the edge of the table) use a small block of wood and slide it next to the door Glass and on the edge of the channel, (tap) the wood with a hammer a little at a time all the way a crossed and until you can pull it off with your hand. To reinstall it: clean the old door Glass Or when using a new door Glass clean it also first. Mark with a piece of masking tap where you want the channel to be and then cut a piece of window tap a little longer then needed and place over the edge of the door Glass horizontally half on each side, now place the door Glass on the padded table vertically and with the window tap on the top. Now take the channel and making sure it is going on the door glass on the right side (slot will be flush on one side I believe) and in the right position. Start it on the Door glass by hand if possible, if not use a rubber mallet and tap in back on to the door Glass till its all the way on. just keep the door Glass up straight (90%) while driving it on and you be just fine. If the channel was really loose before you took it off and the window tap was still somewhat good, then you should CLOSE the channel just a bit before reinstalling it. Or if you should get a Door glass that is THICKER than the old on you may have to OPEN the channel a bit. If the channel is to lose on the door Glass it may come off the Glass while you roll it up and down. Replace the window side channel moldings while you are at this point. Hope this help's. -------------Gene Neal:thumbup:

#5 ·
door Glass R/R

Jerry! let use know if you need any more help at any time for what ever it my be. "O" by the way don't forget to trim the window tap off around the channel after you install it. Makes fore a netter job and how knows what it may get cough in. ---------------------------------------Gene Neal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.