Door hinges 1987 firebird - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Door hinges 1987 firebird

I would like to ask what is the best route to take on fixin my sagging door on my 1987 formula firebird.I have the factory service book and u cant just replace the hinge unless u do some cuttin and welding. Is this the only way? It is old enough to pass inspection in my state if I got rid of the cat. converter and smog control mess .Is this good ideal to do? It is all stock would like to upgrade somewhat. It came from factory with the 350, NOT305, TBI. engine. What is my best options here.?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Before you plan to replace the whole hinge, check the hinge pin bushings. They are designed to wear out before the hinge and are somewhat easy to replace. If you can move the door up and down then look at the hinge bushings and they will most likely be worn out and causing the sag. Now on the other hand, if the bushings have been worn out for a while the hinges themselves may be worn beyond repair and need replacing.

As for the emissions changes, Technically speaking, every vehicle is supposed to be equipped with the emissions equipment it was required to have by the EPA in the year of manufacture. But apparently some states are more relaxed than others, because I have seen several engine swaps in Tennessee that would fail here in NC.

Kelly
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 PM

Wore out

Yes the hinge seems be wore beyond repair. I was livin in Texas at time the inspection guy told me that it would pass by law because of its age and Im pretty sure it will in louisiana where I am living.But is that the best thing for the performance of the car?Will it get better fuel milage or worse if I got rid of smog junk, put headers on it doing away with smog pump and cat converter.?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If you ask the parts guy for a hinge pin repair kit ,it'll come with two bushings a smooth ,smaller one would be for stock apps.then theres a second one thats bigger and ribbed...you can use the bigger one and just drill out the hole a little bigger ...I usually rebuild them one at a time so I can do it with the door on ,it saves a lot of time not having to readjust all the gaps...post some pics as you go and we might be able to save you some headaches...and paint chips....
Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Yep, even when the hole is worn out, I have even welded it up and ground it back to where it needs to be. It's a very common repair replacing bushings and repairing the hole. As DBM said, the bushing is often bigger anyway.

Brian
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

RockAuto have pin and bushing kits for your vehicle, dirt cheap.

I have just done my driverīs side door, awkward but doable.
Open the door wide, support with a jack.
Drive the pin up and out, it has a retaining collar but you can overcome that.
Top bushing is driven out down, lower driven out up.

Hawks have replacement hinges, pin kits.....expect to pay.....

And here are some fancy door tools, hinge kits etc.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I just repaired the hinges on my 85 Iroc I imagine yours are the same...I orderd my pins and bushings from Orielys and they cost about 10.00 ea...The hinges are welded to the door and trust me the last thing you want to do is cut them off so rebuilding the old ones is a must. rebuilding them is'nt very hard but they're one of the hardest to do I learned a few things when doing mine...first off on this particular job it was easier to just remove the door.the top hinge has two small pins that are tough to remove with the door on ,they have to be ground down and punched out ,it can be done but its a tuff one and I already had the fenders off and the doors gutted for a resto so it was easier to just remove them...The biggest problem I had was after I had the new pin and bushing in the bottom hinge it still had a lot of play in it because the half of the hinge that is welded to the door was also wore out which is a disaster ,on any other door I'd just remove the hinge weld up the hole and redrill it on the drill press but since this one is welded on it cant be done that way ...I came up with a solution that works great and it's quick...All I did was redrill the welded hinge big enough to accept a bushing not only did it solve the problem it actually made it a better hinge with two sets of bushings insted of just one..heres some pics to help show you how it was done...most important mark them BEFORE you seperate them becase you can put them back together upside down and it'll never work so mark the half that isnt welded on top, bottom ,inside and outside this way you wont have to take it all back apart and redo them...It makes life much easier when you get it right the first time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8605.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	88770   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8600.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	88778   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8601.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	88786   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8602.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	88794   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8603.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	88802  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 10-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Listen to Mike (Deadbodyman) OH MY GOD the weld on hinges are the biggest, absolute biggest joke GM every did! I am a GM fan, that was as ignorant as making windows out of bubble wrap, my God that was stupid.

DO NOT even think of removing those welded on hinges and replacing, DO NOT EVEN THINK of it!

Repair what you have, it isn't that big of a deal.

Often people want to hit the bushing in with a hammer or something.
Hittng the bushing with a hammer to install it will either break it, or you simply can't do it because of obstructions. For instance some bushings will be installed from the top down on the bottom of the hinge, theres no room to swing a hammer.

Here is the trick, you make yourself a minature "press". Using a bolt that is small enough to go thru the bushing and long enough to also go thru the hinge AND a socket. The socket needs to be large enough that the bushing will fit inside. You put this bolt up thru the bottom of the hinge with the socket on it. Then slip the bushing over the top of the bolt going down into the hole on the hinge. Put a washer over the bushing and the nut on that. Tighten the nut down on the bolt and the bushing will be pushed down into the hole. The socket is under the hinge supporting it with a large enough hole for the bottom of the bushing to go into it and not be damaged.

Works like a charm.

If you go to picture "J" you can kinda see the idea. "Basics of Basics" Rebuilding hinges.

This isn't the same thing being these hinges didn't use a bushing. But I am pushing the pin in using the vice and a socket in photo J. It works the same way to push the bushing in only you have a bolt going thru the hinge and the socket and THAT is your "vice". Hopefully that makes sense, I need to get some good photos of doing this.

Brian
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

When they go......they go.

Rehab Your Camaro's Door Hinges for a Tighter 3rd-Gen

The spring compressor used on the lower hinges in the above article never worked for me.

At the moment I have two doors that clunk click nicely.....touch wood and whistle.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.