door jambs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow, bee! Thats a real nice looking job until you get to that green column! lol Sorry...couldn't resist. I love the way the switches and delay box are placed.
I think that look is exactly what my husband had in mind since the floor is painted a satin black. It's strictly a drag car, not streetable with it's current gear, but I like to keep my options open. If I burn out on racing or get a different car I may decide to put it back on the street. (I saved everything I stripped off of it.)
Hubby keeps telling me "It's just a race car" but I'm a perfectionist. I was aghast when I found paint runs hidden in the jambs! True, I've been driving the car for a while now and never saw them so....te he...out of sight, out of mind.
My main concern is to get rid of the rust and, hopefully, keep it from coming back any time soon. The springs, pins, and the tops of a couple of the hinge plates are pretty badly rusted and there are a couple of areas where rust has crept under the seam sealer at the corners of the doors.
I'm thinking about removing as much rust as possible, replacing the sealer, scuffing the old paint, and shooting epoxy primer on it to seal it before I cheat like the dickens and paint it with cans. Will that work okay?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Thanks, I caught h*** from everyone the whole time during the build.
"You ain't done yet?" "It's just a damn drag car." "I want to go race this thing,Get 'er DONE!!. BLAH,BLAH,BLAH.
The first trip to the strip made ALL the hard work and time worth it.Considering the state finals were being held and we had more people come over and inspect the car than the custom rod guys did with their fancy show poodles at the car show.
Funny thing was,Nobody even mentioned the green dash.

It sounds like you REALLY want to break her down and do it right,So go ahead and pull them doors and get it done right.(this winter,go rod the ******* out of this summer ) The only true epoxy is a 2 part spray gun style paint,ain't no spray can epoxy. Might say that but it's not the real thing.
So you'll have to get a gun for it and a little single stage color after smoothing the epoxy will get you what your after. Not really that much trouble for a MUCH better,lasting finish.

You know that's what you REALLY want.....
Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

It's funny what people notice verses what they don't sometimes, isn't it? It's hard to believe that no one commented on the green. Maybe they saw the look on your face and decided it would be wiser not to! LOL!

Yeah, I want to do it right! I guess I have a weird way of looking at it but I think that a drag car is a good place to do a quality paint job since it's not very apt to be wrecked and it won't be subjected to the stuff a daily driver is, like idiots in parking lots, stone chips, etc.. I figure that if I do a good job on it now it will likely still look good for years & years. Plus, I'm doing this to make my competition feel better. It's one thing to get your head handed to you by an old lady in a station wagon. It's worse to get beaten by a rusty, ratty looking station wagon! lol See how considerate I am?

I wore our two wire brushes on my dremel yesterday trying to get the rust off of the hinges. Found a problem thats going to require taking the front door off to fix. (I'll post a question about that in a new thread.)
I had to grind off a good bit of the seam sealer around the door edges, especially along the bottoms, so that I could get to the rust underneath it. Now I have another question....would it be better to shoot a coat of good epoxy primer over the bare metal before applying new seam sealer? I have the Nason epoxy primer.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

I would. You might want to try and get some converter or picklex or something inside the door's too as the rust will come back on you unless you kill it now too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.