door jambs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 06:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

door jambs

I've found a painter for my car but in order to keep the cost down I agreed to do the door jambs myself before he gets the car. The interior, roll bar, floor, etc., is already painted a satin black and I'd like to do the jambs the same color.
I know ya'll aren't huge fans of spray cans but for doing this they sure do sound attractive since I don't have a touch up gun only a regular gun and an airbrush.
I know a lot of people use rattle cans to paint engine compartments and such. Any suggestions? Brand preferences?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you're going Sraycan route than you might want to look into Duplicolor's line of sprays.

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You will be sorry.................not the "rattle can " route, but the colour route. Make the jams the same colour as the exterior..It will look much better, that difference in colour will show like a sore thumb.

Budget RVs
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
You will be sorry.................not the "rattle can " route, but the colour route. Make the jams the same colour as the exterior..It will look much better, that difference in colour will show like a sore thumb.
I would agree, but I am not going to say anything before hearing your reason. Why do you want to paint your door jambs a different color from the rest of the car?

I can't see how just the jambs alone should make too much difference to the cost of a paint job.

Rich
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Do you think so? The body color will be pretty dark too...Patriot blue, (PT Cruiser blue) is what I'm leaning toward at the moment....and the exterior trim around the windows will be a satin black as well. All the chrome trim on the car will be black with the exception of the grille.
I've never seen a car with the jambs black so I'm just taking my husbands & the painters word that this will look good. I have some doubts myself. I can always go with the Duplicolor to match the exterior so I'd love to hear some more opinions on which color to do.
Oh, it's an 81' Malibu wagon.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Ditto to all the above. How much more is he charging ot do the jambs? If you do the prep work and leave him with a ready-to-paint primered jamb, I can't imagine his effort would be much different by taping off the jambs than taping off the interior. Regardless, paint jobs cost so much now that you want to do it right the first time. Spring for a few more shekels and do it right!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Sorry, Rich....we were posting at the same time.
I guess the reason they want to do it that way is two fold....to extend the floor color, it's painted as well, to the jambs and perhaps they are worried about the rattle can paint in the jambs exactly matching the exterior paint? I dunno....
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I really think you will be much happier with jambs the same as the body. If you must, Dupli-Color is an OK way to go.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Also, unless your satin painted jambs are taped off, ypou are going to get overspray on them when the rest of the body is sprayed. With that in mind, I figure it's going to cost pretty much the same.

Budget RVs
Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
brains

Last photo:

For jams I like strawberry best.. sorry couldnt resist, anyhow

When I was young I did some pretty stupid things, One of the stupidest things I had done was paint my 73 challenger red with black door jams, and engine compartment. It looked horrible, I think I did it because I ran out of red paint and wanted to save money. Personaly it looked bad, I ended up repainting it at a later date..

Ben

Last edited by brainsboy; 03-29-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you really wanna do this to save money, and really wanna do the spray-can route, why dont you go to your local paint supplier, and get them to fill you up a spraycan of Patriot Blue. Then you can still spray-paint your door-jambs with spray can, save money and have it look good.

Mike
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

I've had success using Preval sprayers for small parts and door jambs. As with any paint work preparation is everything. I painted the door jambs on my current project over a year ago and they look great, slick and shiny. I used 2 stage PPG paint.

I don't know how to upload images so do a Google search for "Preval Sprayers".
Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the great replies! Ya'll have talked me out of doing the jambs black. Guess I'll either go with the Duplicolor cans or check into a cheap touch up gun.

Started working on the passenger side doors yesterday getting the old weather stripping off and degreasing them. Whew! Fun stuff!

Now I've got a question....It's obvious that in order to paint the jamb of the fender that either the front door or the fender has to come off the car. I'm working alone on this and have no experience with removing either part so which would be easier to do? I've helped my husband replace a few doors so I have a fair idea of how tough getting them lined back up right can be. Is a fender any easier to replace?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

No need to buy a touch up gun, your regular paint gun will work fine for the jambs. Get a helper and pull your door pins and remove the doors so you can clean and scuff all the areas well. Dial your spray gun down. Mask the car so you're not blowing overspray everywhere. The amount of work necessary will be well worth the results IMO. Years ago when first starting out I did a few candy jobs and hadn't a clue on how to do the jambs in the same color so I painted the jambs black on those first few cars- what a mistake, the exterior looked great but the door jambs looked like sheet.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Is this a race car or a street ride with a cage?

Get some roll's of the thin plastic painter plastic from Home Depot to use for covering the interior as it's a PIA to mask off everything and this stuff is flexible enough to wrap,fold,cut,splice around anything inside.

I did the jambs silver to match the interior on this 69 with a single stage but I have a touch up but do as badbob said and you'll be good to go.Or just get one at Harbor for like $30.00 if that makes it easier.
Unless your just wanting a first class jamb job,just mask off the body good in the hinge area and blast it in. It will look good for a race car and save you the headache of pulling the doors.Not too many critics look in the hinge area if the car is FAST... Totally your call.
I actually did them last after the body due to an "issue" with the owner.
Along with the green dash and column. Which I don't care to discuss. Patience is not in his vocabulary.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.