Hot Rod Forum banner

Door panel (79 Camaro) Question?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  n2hcky 
#1 ·
I picked up a 79 Camaro with no door panels ! The 79 has metal on top of the panel under the vinyl I don't have that metal piece. The earlier 2nd generation Comaro's have a molding that sets on top of the door panel . Will the early upper door panel trim fit on the 79? Or do I have to have the metal piece that goes under the vinyl?

I bought new panels for the 79 without the 79 metal parts on top of the panel for 20 bucks at a swap meet the problem is I have no old panels to take them off of, and cant find any!

JESTER

#2 ·
I wouldn't use the early Camaro door panel moldings. Pretty much any door panels from any Camaro or Firebird from 73 to 81 should work for you.

#3 ·
I already have the door panels for the 79 camaro (brand new) I need the metal that goes under the vinyl at the top of the door panel Its actually part of the panel, I cant find it even cant find old door panels to get them off of ! I looked in ricks and year one and called other places and found none!

I need to know if I can use the metal door molding from the earlier camaro like the 74 it goes over the vinyl at the top of the door next to the window its not part of the door panel! The later camaros 78-79 didn't have this molding the metal was part of the panel! The new door panels are standard without the metal Im supposed to remove the metal from inside the old panels and attach it to the new panels and wrap and glue the foam and vinyl over them! I have no old panels to remove it from and cant find used ones!!!

Jester

#4 ·
Yes, I understand what you need. As far as I know, the 73 Camaro had those metal pieces under the door panel fabric, and didn't have separate trim. I have a 75 Camaro Rally Sport, and that's how it is also. I'm saying find some door panels from a 73 to 81 Camaro or Firebird and salvage the metal pieces from the door panels

Attachments

#5 ·
You know what, I just looked at the picture of my 75's door panel, and the top piece is a separate piece, isn't it? Yes, you should be able to use that piece on your 79. New ones are available online if you want to go that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.