Hot Rod Forum banner

Door panel follow-up questions

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jjschm 
#1 ·
I'm trying to recreate something similar to the pressed vinyl door panels in my 67 Belvedere. I followed the tutorial (which is awesome BTW) and it went better than expected the first time out. Unfortunately the recessed lines didn't glue down well and when I tried to work them down the vinyl got a bit marred up. Any guidance? Are the cut out lanes too thin? The glue (weldwood) to weak? Should I use a different technique for vinyl vs. leather? I'm a total beginner, so it may be something simple.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your lines in the closed cell foam need to be 1/4" wide. That looks like styrofoam on the panel. Contact adhesive will melt styrofoam. It needs to be closed cell foam, brand name Volara.
Are you using DAP top and trim contact adhesive? Did you scuff the surface of the closed cell foam before you glued the vinyl on? If not, the glue will release from the foam. Did you let the glue dry to the touch on the foam and the vinyl before mating the vinyl to the foam? Are you stretching the vinyl over the whole panel and then pushing in the lines? If so, that won't work, the lines need to be pushed in and then left to dry, preferably for 24 hours, before you finish the panel. It looks like you sewed the horizontal lines, that could have pulled the vinyl out of the other grooves if you did it too soon.

#3 ·
Thanks! The devil's in the details. I did use Volara on thin (14 ply) chipboard as you recommended and allowed the glue to dry. However, the glue was Weldwood (Ace Hardware, not HHR), the lanes are less than a 1/4" and I did sew the outer lanes the same evening. I only put glue in the seam areas for attaching the vinyl, but I set the entire piece over the CC foam, then tried to push the lines down into the lanes with a smooth round piece of plastic. I'll scratch it up next time as well. Thanks again for the advice, I'll give it another go.
-Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.