door panel help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

door panel help

working on a door panel for my 1936 ford cabriolet. i am using 1/8 abs for the panel,1/4 foam, and rave material in black and red. i have cut out my basic pattern and now i wonder if i need to cut the foam around the edges at an angle or do i need to leave them square. the oval shape is 1/8 abs with just red material and no foam. the bottom piece will be covered with carpet. also what panel fastener is the best to use. i like the nylon christmas tree type but i have a problem with the head protruding when i cover it with my foam. i sand the foam flat but when using material like rave you can still tell where they are. i glue the fabric with weldwood landau adhesive. i have been told to only glue my cutouts such as seams and grooves and to stretch and staple the remaining panel. what do you guys or girls suggest. thanks bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36 door panel.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	48886   Click image for larger version

Name:	36 door panel2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	860.3 KB
ID:	48887  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I am assuming you are using closed cell foam. Leave the edges square around the oval. You can sand down the edges around the perimeter of the panel if you want, but you don't have to.

As far as panel clips go, my favorites are the Au-Ve-Co 10780 and the 12134. Nylon Christmas tree fasteners are notorious for getting brittle and failing over time. To avoid the clips showing through, don't glue down your foam right over the holes for the fasteners. The surest way to avoid the clips showing through is to use two layers of panels. The bottom layer holds the clips and the top layer has your upholstery work on it. Glue the two panels together in the middle, and the fabric is glued or stapled to the back side of the panel with the clips in it.

Make sure you can staple into your ABS without cracking it. If it doesn't crack or break, you can either glue everything or pull and staple,... both ways work fine. Do whichever you are most comfortable with.

You're doing a nice job, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546_1.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	48891  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks dan, are these panel clips you use offset? if so is it aggravting to drill the holes so they line up? with the christmas tree i just pop 1/4 holes straight thru. is the weldwood glue ok. i seem to have trouble keeping the material i the bottom of the grooves when i stretch the rest of the panel. it doesn't give me crisp lines. what about hot glue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The clips you use are up to you, they all work. Yes, both metal clips are offset. You just drill the holes on the panels 5/8" in toward the middle of the door panel. The best part is that both clips will swivel a little bit and it's easy to line them up with the holes in the door.

You need to use bulk ( in large containers) spray grade HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim contact adhesive like DAP Weldwood or 3-M. Don't use aerosols, your bonds will not be as strong. Make sure the adhesive cures for a while before you try to stretch the vinyl. The adhesive gets stronger the longer it cures. Hot glue will never stick to ABS or vinyl very long, it's not an option for what you want to do. Make sure you are letting the glue dry completely, and that you are gluing both surfaces. If you are gluing to closed cell foam, you need to scuff the foam's shiny surface with a Scotchbrite pad or some sand paper or your bond will not be very good.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.