Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   door panels are a ****** !! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/door-panels-229063.html)

big56 02-01-2013 03:05 PM

door panels are a ****** !!
 
I have been having issues when trying to use the same vinyl I use for my seats on my door panels. I can't get it to stay in the creases I put in my closed cell foam , simply to thick. When I try to find same vinyl color in thinner stock I can't. These guys who write these how to do interior books leave out the biggest part which is everything about material,colors,vinyl , leather like vinyl and so on so the average guy has to spend months trying to get an answer.I bought a new consew 206rb5 sewing machine for my sewing and time I do have newly retired at 53 yrs and was a diemaker by trade so taking my time isn't an issue answers are , I feel the doorpanels are the hardest and all videos are using lite material like tweed so is there anyone who can answer a few of my questions thanks

kleen56 02-01-2013 03:57 PM

The material you are using on the door panel is too thick and not pliable. You have a couple of options if you want to use it. 1. You can avoid the creases altogether and have a smooth surface, or make the crease a little wider so the material can be pressed in the crease. 2. Use a material like cloth or suede that will press into the crease easier. Use a good adhesive (I use 3M) that dries quickly and use plenty on both sides of the crease and material. I used a plastic knife looking tool to press the material into the crease, then I've also used one of those tools to install screen rope. Don't buy the ones with the metal wheels, get the plastic one. The metal will cut into the material.

beachbum jim 02-01-2013 06:20 PM

You need to get good coverage of glue into the recessed areas. Use an acid brush to spread it evenly. Also if you try to lay the vinyl flat on the panel and push it into the design it will most likely not stay. This especially when using 1/4" foam. You may get away with it with 1/8" foam. With the thicker foam you need to work the vinyl into the design. Start at the bottom of the panel and roll it towards the design. When you get to the cut out, work it into then out. Use a smooth edge tool to work it into the design. A screen spline roller will work.
I ONLY use high temp adhesive on door panels and headliners. Weldwood HHR landau top adhesive is the best. I learned the hard way!!!!

DanTwoLakes 02-01-2013 08:43 PM

The problem with trying to learn something on line is that 50 to 75% of the information is worthless, because it comes from amateurs. If you don't use the proper adhesive, supplies, and procedures, you will fail. None of the people who posted asked you what you were doing, they just threw information at you. Did you learn anything from them? Did anyone help you in any way?

If you want to keep failing, just keep listening to the amateurs. If you want to do your door panels correctly, do a search for information such as this: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/door...al-145092.html

DanTwoLakes 02-01-2013 08:55 PM

I'm sorry, it doesn't make a bit of difference what fabric you want to use, it is the glue and how you use it that makes the difference. Thicker fabric makes the lines you push it into softer and less distinct. You should know that ahead of time and compensate. You can do many things to help. You can sew the lines in, you can use thicker closed cell foam to get more definition etc.etc. etc.

beachbum jim 02-01-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes (Post 1641545)
The problem with trying to learn something on line is that 50 to 75% of the information is worthless, because it comes from amateurs. If you don't use the proper adhesive, supplies, and procedures, you will fail. None of the people who posted asked you what you were doing, they just threw information at you. Did you learn anything from them? Did anyone help you in any way?

If you want to keep failing, just keep listening to the amateurs. If you want to do your door panels correctly, do a search for information such as this: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/door...al-145092.html

Really????????

DanTwoLakes 02-02-2013 07:32 AM

Sorry Jim, I wasn't referring to you. The other guy was telling him to use different fabric, and that's not the answer he was looking for.

beachbum jim 02-02-2013 07:36 AM

thats okay... you are right, there are way too many opinions and most of them are wrong. Take care.

kleen56 02-02-2013 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=DanTwoLakes;1641545]The problem with trying to learn something on line is that 50 to 75% of the information is worthless, because it comes from amateurs.


It's good to know we have someone like you (professional) to give us amateurs advice. What would this forum do without your vast knowledge of cars!

kleen56 02-02-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum jim (Post 1641650)
thats okay... you are right, there are way too many opinions and most of them are wrong. Take care.


If that's the case, don't post questions on this forum. It's that easy. I'd suggest you drive to an upholstery shop and get a "real" opinion.:welcome:

slodat 02-02-2013 11:01 PM

big56, can you post some photos of what you are working with?

DanTwoLakes 02-03-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big56 (Post 1641402)
I have been having issues when trying to use the same vinyl I use for my seats on my door panels. I can't get it to stay in the creases I put in my closed cell foam , simply to thick. When I try to find same vinyl color in thinner stock I can't. These guys who write these how to do interior books leave out the biggest part which is everything about material,colors,vinyl , leather like vinyl and so on so the average guy has to spend months trying to get an answer.I bought a new consew 206rb5 sewing machine for my sewing and time I do have newly retired at 53 yrs and was a diemaker by trade so taking my time isn't an issue answers are , I feel the doorpanels are the hardest and all videos are using lite material like tweed so is there anyone who can answer a few of my questions thanks

Are you scuffing up the closed cell foam you are using before you glue the fabric to it? If you don't scuff the foam, the glue can't get a bite on the Volara, which would cause your vinyl to not stick. Are you spraying both the foam and the vinyl and letting it dry before putting the two together? Which vinyl did you use to make your seat covers?

Bodnar720 02-05-2013 02:39 AM

I agree with Dan! i think if you are you using the correct adhesive, scuff up the foam AND allow the correct flash or set up time of you contact adhesive you will have success.


I have also noticed that there is a premise on how to properly lay glue ha-ha, sounds retarded, but it does matter.

you cannot always just slap a quick coat on each side and call it a day, esp if you want it to be a good adhesion.... on your base lay a good layer let it setup and follow up with another to ensure a good solid amount of coverage! this has always worked for me and I have used some off the wall materials before...

I even once had a guy bring me a ED HARDY t shirt to use as material for a motor cycle seat ha-ha but it came out good, and you would never know!

slodat 02-05-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes (Post 1642059)
Are you scuffing up the closed cell foam you are using before you glue the fabric to it? If you don't scuff the foam, the glue can't get a bite on the Volara, which would cause your vinyl to not stick. Are you spraying both the foam and the vinyl and letting it dry before putting the two together? Which vinyl did you use to make your seat covers?

What do you like for scuffing up closed cell foam?

DanTwoLakes 02-06-2013 05:38 AM

A scotchbrite pad works fine, just something to cut the shiny surface a little.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.