Started them today. Went to sign shop for sign board. Got a deal on a scratched sheet for $20. Was 3/16" instead of 1/8" but By my measuring it should be fine thickness wise. I couldnt pass on that deal.
so what I did. Thinking im doing it right from all my research here.
1. Paper pattern, marked all holes.
2. Cut sign board to match.
3. Drilled 1/2" holes 5/8" inboard of the marked holes from door.
4. Drilled all holes in door to 5/16"
5. Got the ford style clips. Look like 10780
6. Cut second piece to go on top.
Now is where I need some advice.
1. Top piece is plastic that goes over the window guides and is attached with 4 screws. The panel then attaches on top of that. 5 holes across the top edge for clips. Should I use the ford style there ? I dont think I can get the tool in to get the middle 3 out unless from underneath from bottom of door 18 inches away.
2. Want to put a 7 inch wide piece of stainless across bottom panel. Then cut a 6" wide strip out of top panel to let it show through. Is this going to cause me headaches attaching it ?
3. Should I bevel the side and bottom edges so the material will lay better once its wrapped?
4. Going to try and use existing door pull holes but build a pull and wrap it also. In the middle of the stainless strip. Any suggestions for ways to do this ?
5. Since this should basicly be all wrap work except maybe the pull. Is this something I should be able to do with enough patience? Julio did a pretty good job on my console but if i can save some money Im all for that
6. Any other suggestions to make the panel look better? This was just the idea my wife and I came up with to kinda go with the rest of the interior.
heres the pics of todays progress and an interior shot. And thanks again for all the help on the console