door pins on blazer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

door pins on blazer

I have a 96 blazer that i need to change pins and bushings. The problem is the person that had it before me never changed them and kept using the door and it wore the hole too big for the bushings. The dealer says they dont make oversize bushings for these and i cant find any that fit the whole snug. Is there anything i can do to get this bushing to stay in there tight? Is it possible to tach the bushing in there i cant think of any other way to do it? Thanks to anyone that may have a suggestion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM

I have replaced mine twice since I have had it (20 years) I have just went and bought the entire set, hinges and pins that way I know it will fit right and open how it is supposed to.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
I think those are weld on hinges. Rick, you could weld the hole up a little then grind it out. But honestly, I have put a small "Half moon" piece of the old bushing in then the new bushing and that worked well.

By the way, here is a "Tip of the day" dealing with these hinges..click here........

Brian
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Thnaks martinsr. they are weld on hinges i will try tp put half the old bushing in there. If that dont work i'll weld up the hole and drill it. Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Hold on now, you DO NOT want to MIG weld up those holes and drill new. The MIG weld is (depending on wire used) usually MUCH harder than the surrounding metal. Getting a drill to go thru it is one thing, getting a drill to go thru it when you can't get a good shot at it do to the obstructions around a welded on hinge is another thing!

Just put some weld on the side of the hole and then open it back up to round with a burr cutter on a die grinder, or a file.

And look at the striker area, if this door has been hanging for a while it is likely there is some cracks around the stricker area because it has had the crap beat out of it. Also, look at the latch and striker well, many times they need to be replaced because of the before mentioned beating of crap.

Brian
Old 05-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

Oh, and by the way, don't even THINK of replacing those hinges with the new bolt on ones from GM. That is without a doubt the biggest screwed up mess GM ever thought of!

I have never did the Blazer but I replaced the hinges on a full size pickup once. HOLY CRAP that was one of the worse jobs I have ever done in my life! They give you about four hours to do each hinge! I thought "This is going to be a money maker"

WRONG it is a cluster %#*& of unworldly proportions! Don't even THINK about it. Just repair what you have and go on with life.

Brian
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks martinsr i will try to just fill in around the whole a little and file it. Yea your right the striker is also a problem but i may still be able to get that working properly without replacing its not as bad as it could be. I dont know why people dont change pins and bushings right away instead of using the door till it almost falls off. Thanks you have been a big help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.