Hot Rod Forum banner

door seals?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
How hard is it to find and replace the factory door seals? Would I be better off buying a universal kit and just going that route?

#3 ·
door seal

Its a 77 Pontiac Trans Am, I will have plenty of time and would prefer to go factory seals. I also need to learn how to adjust the hinges. the driver side door doesnt shut well unless slammed very hard and its not b/c the seals obviously.. Any help or advice you could provide would be amazing. Though it will be at least two weeks before I can post photos or even work on it. Its has to be shipped to my town.

#4 ·
OK ,.....Well thats an easy one if I remember right ,the door seal snaps into the door and has a couple screws at the ends....soft seal or steel rubber has some pretty good ones...dont try the universal seals at all....You'll also need the seals that contact the window when its up ...even easier but they get glued in...I think if not they just press in the groove You may also need the 1/4 glass seal...none of the seals are very hard to replace....
AS far as adjusting the doors goes they may need a little tweeking but the main problem would be the pins and bushings need to be replaced, those are heavy doors and it a common problem, an ez job for a pro but a bit tough for a newbie and if the paint is nice theres a good chance you'll mess up the paint on the door and the fender its only a 100.00 job so I;d concider having a pro do it ,but if your handy it can be done if your take all the necessary precautions and listen carefully.If your going to paint it anyway then you can do it without much trouble at all.....
Do the pins and bushings first then adjust the doors and the seals come last...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.