door skin advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

door skin advice

I put a door skin on my 55 chevy truck drivers door. Please check out this picture and explanation of what i done, and any advice is appreciated.
http://www.coopscorner.com/misc/doorskin-advice.htm

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

From what I can see {me no Xpert either} seems that if the Repair panel was flat you will need to cut a relief on the part that wraps around the soor to the inside to bend the metal , OR shrink it.

If I am thinking correctly your curve problem is trying to get it from the top to bottom?

Not side to side .

RIGHT?

Well maybe someone with more /better Experience will pick up on this.

A better Picture would help too.

Rob

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
If I am thinking correctly your curve problem is trying to get it from the top to bottom?
Yup me too.

Once you get that lip rolled (gently) under to form that nice factory seam, it'll take shape nicely. A 'heel' dolly set flat on the outer panel and a good body hammer to massage (key word-massage, don't be a gorilla) that lip all the way around, it will be good. Don't hammer it to death.

It's inevitable you'll have a little skim coat of filler afterwards, don't sweat it.
"Dollars are like votes, except that they actually count."
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 AM

Last journal entry: it can roll now
Last photo:

another thing that i have used as a dolly on skins is if you get one of those 6 inch thick/heavy rubber wet sanding blocks when your starting to get the lip over it tends not to mar up the front as much. you end up using metal dollys too. good luck
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

I didn't explained what I had done very well, sorry about that . Maybe these additional pictures will help explain the extra work i created for myself. I have the skin bent, i just used the incorrect method, if you can call what i done a method. My method put 2 slight bends instead of an easy curve. I hope these pictures help clear it up what i need to do. I was thinking if i bend the ends around, maybe it will hold it and allow me to use a body hammer to tap the bends back down. Would a hammer be best to use, or maybe a block of wood to tap on?...thanks again for the help...........
http://www.coopscorner.com/misc/doorskin-advice.htm
Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

OKY Dokey.

I see it now.

Remember Not a X pert here .

I think right now @ this point {5 minuets into the problem} .

I would try to use say a good straight 2X4 that would fit inside the inside .

Then another on the out side on a bench trying to make a temporary break so that you can curve the metal long ways uniformly.

Here is how I am seeing in my twisted little brain box.

A wooden bench.

A 2 X 4 that is just the right size to fit inside the metal.

Its not welded in yet right?

2 more pieces of 2 X 4 6" long all screwed to the bench with a space for the metal {that is on the edge} to fit in between.

Then a longer 2 x 4 that you can clamp either over the edge {to make a Downward bend} & or further back to make a {Upward bend}.

This sandwich action will/should give you a uniform bend.

What you think?

You could make a template off the good door to get the right curves.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

I hate to admit it, but it is welded across the top at the seam. I am hoping there is a way to work the crease down with hammer. Maybe i can lay a piece of wood across the crease and beat it back down with a hammer? The outside edges of the inner door panel has the curve radius on it. In theory i should have bent the outer skin around to match the inner, but boy oh boy i missed that one...I am open for sugesstions, but taking the skin back off is probably not an option. Thanks.....
Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Fold the flange over and test fit the door on the truck before going any further, adjust the fit if needed and modify the edges if needed but definately verify the fit before finally welding the flange. The crease you created and the distortion along the weld line can be worked out some with dolly and hammer and or a spoon, but if there's limited access on the inside for backing the area with a dolly then you'll probably need some help and a bar or dolly on a stick to get pressure where it's needed to hammer some of that distortion out.

Here's the way I do that repair, I see you replaced some of the inner panel and that should have been done and then testfit the door to the truck, then cleanup work done on that inner and epoxy primer applied inside and out. Then the outer panel fitted to the door, clamped and tack welded in place along the splice. then fold the flange and weld that area then come back to the splice area and finish welding with tacks until welded solid hammering and dollying as you go, finish grind, test fit again to verify contour, tune if needed, remove and prime.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help with this. I have limited access to the inside of the door, so the dolly on a stick will have to be the way to go. I appreciate the advice from everyone....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.