doors on a 1949 chevy pickup - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
need a pic of the whole door. looks like the door needs to come up. from what i see it is low front and back. and brian is right. forget bending the door.
here more picture mr shine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	62477   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	62478   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	62479   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	62480   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	62481  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Eve.../dp/B000P72HF4

He's joking, I assume.

If you were going to fill it something like Everglass would be what you would use in my opinion. But maybe Shine wasn't joking and he will explain.

Brian
here mor pict of the hood mr brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	62482   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	62483   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	62484   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	62485   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	62486  

Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown8338
yes the hinge pin are good no play at all, but i guess the bottom hinge could be bent some how. the door closes nice and smooth but just stick out at the bottom front and back. here is a couple of photos that might help you to help me. do you have any photo of your hood i am having problems with it also. please help all you can. thanks
I have to tell you, I think you can rob Peter to pay Paul on this thing and get it a lot closer. You have a LITTLE bit of wiggle room here. Your door is a tad low at the body line, or even. It most certainly isn't too high. What this means is you can make it too high, by just a tad. You then will have the upper fitting not perfect, but the bottom may be way better. Being the bottom of the door curves in, if it goes up, this gap you have is going to close up, just as if you were to move the door IN at the bottom, moving it up will do the exact same thing. The front at the body line also looks like it could be IN a little too much. Again, if you were to bring that OUT, it would bring the OPPOSITE corner which is the bottom rear, IN. They fit kinda funky there at that body line in the front of the door from the factory but I think yours is in a little too much.

This would all be a delicate balancing act to get it fitting the "bestest" all the way around instead of fitting the "Best" at the top and "crap" at the bottom.

Brian
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

On your hood, I still say those fenders need to be spread, that is all there is to it.

Brian
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I would agree that the front of the fenders is too narrow for your hood. Hopefully you still have the fender braces in place from the firewall to the fenders. That is where you will need to make the adjustment however to make everything fit the best you will need to loosen all the hardward securing the various panels all the way back to the fender to cowl connection.

One of the most common mistakes made when putting an AD back together is the initial alignment of the cab. Not necessarily side to side but its pitch forward. I had this problem when I first put my 54 back together. I had the cab pitched up in the front which caused the hood lip, grill, fender fitment to be off.

The rear cab mounts are a shackle config with rubber bushings. If these have not been replaced they should be.

There should also be a few metal shims between the floor of the cab and the rear shackles. To shim it properly you need to put a level on the frame and one of the top of the rockers and shim them to match the level of the frame.

The front cab mount also requires a rubber shim/pad under it. Make sure that is in place before leveling the cab.

Once the cab is aligned you and then start the fitting of the front sheetmetal.
Everything should be loose at this point but not to the point of flopping around. Unbolt the top of the hood hinge springs from the hood and lower it but remove the latch plate in the radiator shroud first.

Then use a pry bar under the core support and move it to see if the front of the hood lines up with the fender fronts. You may need to shim under the core support to get the correct height. Be careful about the side to side alignment also. Measure the distance from the outside of the tires to the fender lip on each side.

Once things are close then start snugging down the hardware but do not torque them in place until all is as close as it can get.

It will never be perfect. You will have to accept that going in. If you want a show truck panel fitment on this type of truck you will have to do a whole lot more to the panels themselves.

If you do have one then you need get the factory assembly manual. It has diagrams of the stock dimensions and other information like weather stripping installation that you will need.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Good point there Houston, we never established if the cab was straight!

The 49 I don't believe has the shackle rear body mounts, I believe that was in 50 or 51 though. But yes, making sure that the cab is level with the frame is what we should have started with, good catch.

Brian
Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Door

Has there been a patch panel put on the bottom of your doors I was going to suggest an ajustment that i did on my 54 to line up panels but it looks like in the picture the door doesnt have the right shape I read your post on your hood alignment there is alot of trial an error here I shemed the inner finder at the rad support to get mine to line up the way I wanted it to. Ron
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry540
Has there been a patch panel put on the bottom of your doors I was going to suggest an ajustment that i did on my 54 to line up panels but it looks like in the picture the door doesnt have the right shape I read your post on your hood alignment there is alot of trial an error here I shemed the inner finder at the rad support to get mine to line up the way I wanted it to. Ron
yes there has been a bottom patch put on. and do u mean u shimmed between the radiator support and the inner fenders. what happen to the grill did u have to do something with it also. how much did u have to shim. the top holes in the radiator support or inner fender had to be redrilled right
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54
I would agree that the front of the fenders is too narrow for your hood. Hopefully you still have the fender braces in place from the firewall to the fenders. That is where you will need to make the adjustment however to make everything fit the best you will need to loosen all the hardward securing the various panels all the way back to the fender to cowl connection.

One of the most common mistakes made when putting an AD back together is the initial alignment of the cab. Not necessarily side to side but its pitch forward. I had this problem when I first put my 54 back together. I had the cab pitched up in the front which caused the hood lip, grill, fender fitment to be off.

The rear cab mounts are a shackle config with rubber bushings. If these have not been replaced they should be.

There should also be a few metal shims between the floor of the cab and the rear shackles. To shim it properly you need to put a level on the frame and one of the top of the rockers and shim them to match the level of the frame.

The front cab mount also requires a rubber shim/pad under it. Make sure that is in place before leveling the cab.

Once the cab is aligned you and then start the fitting of the front sheetmetal.
Everything should be loose at this point but not to the point of flopping around. Unbolt the top of the hood hinge springs from the hood and lower it but remove the latch plate in the radiator shroud first.

Then use a pry bar under the core support and move it to see if the front of the hood lines up with the fender fronts. You may need to shim under the core support to get the correct height. Be careful about the side to side alignment also. Measure the distance from the outside of the tires to the fender lip on each side.

Once things are close then start snugging down the hardware but do not torque them in place until all is as close as it can get.

It will never be perfect. You will have to accept that going in. If you want a show truck panel fitment on this type of truck you will have to do a whole lot more to the panels themselves.

If you do have one then you need get the factory assembly manual. It has diagrams of the stock dimensions and other information like weather stripping installation that you will need.
do u have pictures of your truck
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM

I have the truck back apart painting it now it was not enough that the grill didnt fit back ok,when I was mocking it up however that was the original grille. Will be putting a new china grille when I put it back together for the final time Thats a wait see how that goes. There is a way to fix your doors but its going to take some surgery.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry540
I have the truck back apart painting it now it was not enough that the grill didnt fit back ok,when I was mocking it up however that was the original grille. Will be putting a new china grille when I put it back together for the final time Thats a wait see how that goes. There is a way to fix your doors but its going to take some surgery.
ok talk to me pal sound like u done it before. sound like u and i need to talk on the phone
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Last journal entry: How I repaired '51 door hinges

I helped a friend of mine with his '52 cowl panel. The problem was the off-set where panel fits the door frame, it's too shallow and we had to shim that area. I have a '51 that needs to the rear cab corners replaced and the off-set is also too shallow.
You can't bring todays fitment standards back to 1950. Back then "Close enough" was good.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown8338
do u have pictures of your truck
There are some pictures in my photo album link in the top right corner of this frame and here is a link to another group of pictures.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...ser/houston-54
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ava54-1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	62540  
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54
There are some pictures in my photo album link in the top right corner of this frame and here is a link to another group of pictures.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/albu...ser/houston-54
thanks a lot. that really helped my hood looks just like yours so i guess it is pretty close. what about the doors what kind of plan did you have
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Mostly it is try and try again until YOU are satisfied. Most of the techiques already discussed apply. Each truck is different and all we can do from here is offer suggestions. You will have to keep working it until it is solved.

The ulitmate solution may be to cut the lower cowl panel loose and reset it. That would fix the door and more than likely help the hood fitment as the fender attaches to the cowl and sets its first point of alignment.

As I also mentioned if you do not have the factory assembly and shop manuals for that truck you need to obtain them. They will help answer many of the questions you are asking.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.