doors on a 1949 chevy pickup - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54
As I also mentioned if you do not have the factory assembly and shop manuals for that truck you need to obtain them. They will help answer many of the questions you are asking.
I have to comment about the factory assembly manuals. I have done this stuff my whole life, been a professional autobody man full time since a week out of high school in 1977. That being said, I thought that those manuals were for someone who didn't know anything, I thought they were for the dummies who had to look up how to put a fender on.

I was the dummy!

I picked up a factory assembly manual for my Rambler, for the mechanical stuff being I am not a mechanic I needed some help. I soon found that these manuals are VERY valuable. I have began to refer to them both for my Rambler as well as a car that I thought I knew backwards and forwards, my Gran Sport. I find myself referring to them all the time and SOLVING problems. The one that really kicked me in the head was when I destroyed an extra door lock I had for my Rambler to accidentally find in my manual how to pull it apart very easily. I was fighting getting a window into the door on the Gran Sport the other night. I decided to call it a night and I came in and saw the manual there on my night stand and looked it up, sure enough I was going about it all wrong and went out the next day and put the window in without so much as a hiccup.

No, I am now a BIG believer in those manuals. Yes they seem expensive, some will cost fifty bucks or more. But they are VERY valuable.

On my Rambler I bought an original, even though there are repros out there, I bought an original and I get a kick out of seeing the greasy fingerprints and the little OEM carburetor gasket envelope being used as a book mark. Someone used this manual working on a car maybe 50 years ago when it was new in the dealership, I like that connection with the past.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend getting a manual.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:21 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i've had to pull the manual for tri5 trucks to prove the doors never fit flush. early trucks were pretty much crap when new. they were trucks not grocery getters. nothing fit well at all so you just have to get creative and figure ways to make them better. but like brian said the manual will more than pay for itself.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM

You may be able to cut some relief on the inner side of the door a cut off wheel works best Just lookat what needs to move and remove the metal that you think will pull outer part in . This is just a suggestion it hard to tell just by looking at the picture.If the outer panel was cut to short you are going have to start all over.If you dont have experance at metal working you might want to get a body man to help you. Ron
Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Yep and I will say it again because it is a major pet peeve of mine, sorry. Modify the WRONG part to fit the right part, not the other way around.

Brian
Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yep and I will say it again because it is a major pet peeve of mine, sorry. Modify the WRONG part to fit the right part, not the other way around.

Brian
ok thanks guys
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

I'm doing a 49 right now also. All I can say is no quality control back then putting them together. From what I can see in the pic, your pass door is too tight to the windshield pillar. My guess the cab needs to be jacked to spread the opening and even a touch up to give more of a gap all around. Spreading it should lift the door corner up abit. Those hinges are not made for much adjustment, so I put them on a milling machine and made the slots bigger so I got plenty of up/down and in/out now, and I'm talking both the pillar side and the door interior side of the hinges. I never had jobber fenders or hood, but hear they don't fit well . It is a time consuming job trying to fit these trucks.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.